Stirlingfauld Flats

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby wee lassie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:39 pm

Afro_Glaswegian wrote:unlike Norfolk Court 200m away these blocks have just deteriorated beyond belief.

good point, I wonder why Norfolk is so different? I used to work with a guy who lived there and from what I gathered Norfolk has a solid community living within its walls.
wee lassie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Afro_Glaswegian » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:36 pm

hmmm... think the biggest reason is coincidence. you never know what kind of residents you get anywhere. a community is built on the ppl within it. just so happens Norfolk got decent ppl in it and Stirlingfauld didnt.

there also seems 2 be lots of old folk in Norfolk as well. theyre hardly gonnae cos trouble while Stirlingfauld is famous 4 being "junkie flats".

also, if uv ever been in the areas around the flats, theres nothing to do at Stirlingfauld. theres a busy main road on the eastern side, a car park on the north side, a disused railway on the south side and i never been round the back but im guessing it would be more of the same. Norfolk is a bit less isolated. I think theres either a community centre on the western face which even has a red blaze 7s pitch for the kids and in between the blocks is a grassy area with swings and benches and stuff. wouldnt exactly call it a park but its well used. packed on a summers day...

and its (a wee bit) closer 2 the city centre....

basically has twice the amenities stirlingfald has...

in fact, i really like Norfolk :) id rather the GHA spent time making it look pretty rather than flatten it to build more posh flats that look even more hideous and push even more working class communities even further away from the centre. as they say, out of sight, out of mind. i feel a conspiracy coming on...
defeat is only temporary, giving up makes it permanent.
Afro_Glaswegian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:58 pm

i think a lot of it has to do with the concierge system at Norfolk Court. Which was excellent. They knew everyone and made a point of letting you know this too, so you knew you were watched and noted (in a good way)

norfolk court had (dunno if still) one community venue which was used by community projects. Stirlingfauld had a shop and two community projects at the base of its flats so there was stuff there.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Afro_Glaswegian » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:07 pm

shops went to the wall a few years ago. and Norfolks community centre has a football pitch and pitches, for us kids, is OUR community centre. theres only so much you can do inside 4 walls. ive never been inside either block but i agree the Norfolk one certainly looks a lot better run than its opposite number. even b4 they marked stirlingfauld 4 demolition there was various low lifes squating or setting fires in the empty flats (evening times has covered it a few times) which surely the concierge staff shouldnt have let continue.
defeat is only temporary, giving up makes it permanent.
Afro_Glaswegian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Any news on Stirlingfauld demolition?

Postby mhog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:23 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any info about the Stirlingfauld flats demolitions. May 07 was mentioned years ago, but that was beginning to look unlikely due to the fact there was no activity and a few lit windows suggest there are a few remaining tenants. However, last week the two blocks were illuminated in blue and green and I wondered if this was an indication that things are going to happen soon? Does GHA normally send out a press release before the demolition? The flats are right outside my living room window and would hate to miss them come down!

Here's a picture of the eastern block illuminated in green. The stairwell lights are still on and you can see one window on the left near the top is clearly illuminated and there are other two windows will small lights showing. These lights do go on and off, so there must be people in there. Wonder if the bright green lighting outside their windows is a tactic to get them out?!

mhog
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cumbo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:40 pm

There are still people living in the blocks that are to be demolished.I saw the lights in your photograph and had to laugh,given that they were Green and blue.Well at least thy got them the right way round,Green nearest Parkhead and Blue facing Ibrox.It take ages to strip the flats,windows doors etc before the big bang!we usually get a good tip off on HG so watch this space:

picture taken from the 20th floor last summer
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mhog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:49 pm

I wondered myself whether the blue/green lights were deliberate. Can't imagine a blue tower block can be that popular this close to gorbals either way! Thanks for your reply - didn't realise they stripped out the windows before the big blast.

That's quite a view in your pic! Are the buildings easy to access?
mhog
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cumbo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:59 pm

Not particularly easy to get in :wink:
here are a few more pics

cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:27 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1347514.0.high_light_of_the_year.php

UP TO 50 high-rise towers could be illuminated in a rainbow of colours as part of an ambitious plan to mark their demolition.

A trial lighting of two Gorbals flats is currently taking place and there are hopes to extend it across the city this winter.

Peter Smith, 32, who works for Glasgow-based MCM Architects, is heading the Multicolours project which would see the buildings awash in different colours every night for the four months between November and February.

He believes the flats, which are all due to be demolished, should not be allowed to disappear quietly.
advertisement

He is testing his idea in the Gorbals by placing floodlights on the roofs of two high rise flats and illuminating them with four or five colours.

He said: "I'm not saying the demolition is good or bad but I think they shouldn't just disappear quietly.

"It has gone really well but ideally I would like to light up 50 high rises - in as many colours as possible."

Image From Evening Times Online.

It looks like the start of a plan to light up lots of tower blocks. As long as the lights don;t disturb nearby residents, then I can see the 'bright light' illumination of the areas around 50 thigh rise blocks in Glasgow as a good thing aesthetically, and for safety.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Stirlingfauld Flats

Postby scottwramsay » Tue May 13, 2008 9:15 pm

I spoke to a builder who was leaving the site today. He said the flats were coming down on the 1st of June, probably at 'about 7 o'clock in the morning' because so many main roads would have to be closed off.

:D
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Excalibur » Sat May 17, 2008 2:10 pm

1st June is correct, they are good to go.

As for Norfolk Court, 54 and 66 are half empty, most of the decanted residents having been given their tax free £2500 "disturbance" money and moved to a lovely new house in Oatlands or elsewhere. Numbers 5 and 17 are still full for the time being.
Excalibur
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby amcmillan » Sat May 31, 2008 11:54 am

Does anyone know for sure what time they are planning to demolish the flats tomorrow?
amcmillan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby martin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:02 am

amcmillan wrote:Does anyone know for sure what time they are planning to demolish the flats tomorrow?
The large rumbling boom which woke me up this morning suggests that it was about 9.50am.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby anne1206 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:26 am

Got a cracking video of demolition as we stay in hillpark, will get even better view when Riverford Road comes down.
anne1206
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby fmacrae » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:59 am

Hi All,

Caught the demolition from the new flats most of the residents were moved to. After turning up at 7 as indicated. The Safedem guy gave me the actual time (9:45) so I nipped home for some more kip.

If you are going to one of these in future they blast a big horn 15 minutes then one minute before. Just so you know. I kept worrying I was going to miss it.

BBC have a video from the town:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7427886.stm

Youtube link for my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emkiwKjTgME

BTW you can skip to 3 minutes for the actual demolition if you don't find the joker going boom funny.
fmacrae
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)