Hate using buses after 4pm

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alycidon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:39 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Say what you will about Edinburgh, but its public transport system is leaps and bounds ahead of ours!

Maybe on the roads, but certainly not on the rails, Glasgow's Suburban Railway system is massive compaired with Edinburgh. Edinburgh has only 10 stations within the city boundary. Glasgow has 10 on the Cathcart Circle alone
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:39 pm

My bus experiences in Edinburgh are the same, much better than Glasgow (i'm sorry to say).
Not all sweetness out that way of course, I recently heard of neds ambushing buses in the Livingston area.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:46 pm

I did specifically say Lothian Buses, but I can't disagree with you on the the comparative sizes of Glasgow and Edinburgh's railway network. i only ever use Haymarket or Waverly though, I've always prefered uing buses ... something so final about that train door closing, if you get what I mean. Good to see Waverly getting some investment (even though i grudge them thier underground airport link!), here's hoping we'll get rid of the 70's hotel extension in front of Queen St through thier investment plan!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Shuggie » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:49 pm

What you have to remember is that buses are just about the only public transport in Edinburgh. There are no trams, no subway and hardly any suburban train stations. Edinburgh cabs were recently discovered to be charging more than London ones. LRT (and a few token services from Firstbus) are all Edinburgh has.
Shuggie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Indeed, the train services in Edinburgh are poor, but the problems seem to relate to the lack of track capacity between Haymarket and Waverley - the last "study" of reopening the Southern Suburban line and the Abbeyhill lopp down to Leith rejected these options because they would take you into Waverley or Haymarket but not between.

ALso, the council obsession with Trams means that other forms of transport - rail links, ferry to Kirkcaldy get less attention than maybe they should.

For example only GNER and Virgin call at Dunbar, but it is in Scotland so why do Scotrail not run a comuter service in from Dunbar. Improved rail links in Edinburgh, and improved bus servcies in Glasgow - is it too much to ask of Transport Scotland now it has offices in both cities? It would cost a lot less than a bullet train between the two.

Maybe even changing the North Berwick - Central trains into alternate North Berwick - Queen St, and Dunbar - Central, then Dunbar - Queen St and North Berwick - Central. With imaginatiev timetabling, the trains to Queen St would just be an entension of one of the 15 minute shuttles, but would calkl at stops before Edinburgh, thus making East Lothian commutable to Glasgow, and also giving improved transport links to the East Lothian area.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:51 pm

Only ever used Lothian Buses once a few months ago, what i found strange was the way they dont let people off/on until the bus is at the stop properly, even if there are 2 in the queue they wont let you off/on. I suppose its a possible h&sdirective, altho i used first here quite often, and never had any problems, im on the summerston loop so im well serviced(!!).
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:00 pm

i only ever get the bus in glasgow when i'm coming coming back from town late at night. the number 9 scum shovel is quite a white knuckle ride at times, but perhaps no less than a taxi queue.
i find the subway ok during the day, but after 6 on a friday and saturday it can be chock full of bams, and any time a rangers game is on it is a nightmare.
ive been in 4 other european cities with subways and they all have a better police presence on the systems. is the transport police responsible for the subway?
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:34 pm

engineer wrote:is the transport police responsible for the subway?

No it's not. Strathclyde Police is.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:32 pm

You know how they only let two prams on at a time.....

Can they do the same with people from Pollok,Darnley,Nitshill (2 per bus, preferably at the back) it would make the buses emptier and the smell of urine would be gone from the buses!

:roll: That sounds too American deep south in the 1960's :roll:
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:34 pm

Flash_Andy wrote:You know how they only let two prams on at a time.....

Can they do the same with people from Pollok,Darnley,Nitshill (2 per bus, preferably at the back) it would make the buses emptier and the smell of urine would be gone from the buses!

:roll: That sounds too American deep south in the 1960's :roll:

Andy what's your problem with people from Priesthill and Nitshill are you trying to wynd me up?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:14 am

Thank your lucky stars you have the First monopoly in Glasgow!

Out in deepest darkest Lanarkshire a lot of the routes are run by multiple smaller companies....so cue turf bus wars!

A couple of months back a passenger was blinded by glass when the bus was ambushed and smashed up...rumour has it on the orders of a rival bus company! It's pretty much accepted that rival companies arrange attacks on their rivals buses.

On top of that you also get the Wacky Races of two minibuses racing each other to the bus stop to get the customers. The idea of having different time tables seems to have escaped them.

Oh and the buses tend to be filty, old, mini buses, that don't even have a livery or company name on the side! White Bus man rather than White Van man, you might say!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:11 pm

Sounds like Glasgow in the 1920's 8O There were a few rough practises going on with the private bus companies then as well, before the Corporation monopoly was imposed.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Strike Team » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:53 pm

marginalwalker wrote:CCTV cameras should be on all First Buses.

Im old fashioned, but I long for the days of the ole corporation.

Only any use if the people watching the CCTV actually give a shite. Several years ago I went down the first flight of stairs to Central Low Level's ticket office (the ticket office has now moved upstairs). As I bought my ticket I saw a railway cop watching an incident on the platform via the bank of CCTV monitors that were installed in the ticket office. I went downstairs to the platform level to discover a ned wandering round abusing passengers. Did PC Plod come downstairs to tell the ned to behave or arrest him? Did he fuck.
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:59 pm

The cops are afraid of the neds..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Strike Team wrote:Did PC Plod come downstairs to tell the ned to behave or arrest him? Did he fuck.

It's seems to be policy to run and hide. Seen too many instances
of this, to be a coincidence. Think they should go back and get
some needy paperwork done.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)