Hate using buses after 4pm

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hate using buses after 4pm

Postby glasgowken » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:27 pm

Even with the wee shits on holiday, all the weirdos seem to come out after 4pm. Before 9am is dodgy as well, there were two mouthy drunks on the 62 this morning.
Wish I had a car :(
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:03 pm

Its much better after 6pm when there ain't no busses to be had. :roll:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:10 pm

Aye, the 62 AKA the Bam Bus. I wish I had a car too but couldn't afford to run one.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:52 am

I've decided to be a saddo and start a "the joys of using the bus to work" blog. The sights I've seen this week ::):
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:20 pm

CCTV cameras should be on all First Buses.

Im old fashioned, but I long for the days of the ole corporation.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:32 pm

Agree there, that and some sort of conductor, drivers should be driving. If you want off press the bell none of this struggling stuff.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:36 pm

The train is more civilised. Although I sometimes have to use the bus. I have to say I don't mind getting the 62 from Shettleston to town.

I understand that First are hoping to increase the number of buses with CCTV. They aim to have all buses with CCTV.

In my opinion bus travel is better now than it was 20 or even 30 years ago.

When I was at school we had to get the bus to Garthamlock. This was in the days when all buses had a conductor and they could never control the school kids to the extent that special buses had to be put on. One of my best friends was killed outside the school as he tried to jump on one of the new front door entry buses. He fell off and went under the wheels.

I do acknowledge that it was mainly the number of pupils trying to get on the bus that was the main problem and there was a bit more respect and less unsavory characters about but I am glad I wasn't an adult trying to get on a bus from Garthamlock at that time.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:14 pm

Alex, do you think that First's fleet should be a lot cleaner inside? Whenever I go to Edinburgh, the buses inside are always clean with no food, newspapers on the floor.. I take it that this is First's remit to clean up their act? or can the council apply pressure?

Sometimes I wonder what tourists think of Glasgow buses when they come here..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:49 pm

Across in Auld Reekie, Lothian Transport has long had CCTV,
even TFT monitors upstairs on the double deckers. Total
voyeurism in the extreme :P

Anyway, wonder how long before Glasgow TFT monitors would
last :wink:
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:53 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Sometimes I wonder what tourists think of Glasgow buses when they come here..

I doubt whether tourists use Glasgow buses much. But they certainly use the Subway and the amount of trash scattered across the carriage floors is embarrassing to see. Somebody used to come on at Govan occasionally and pick up the accumulated rubbish while the train was taking its lying time. But I haven't seen this for a while so I'm not sure whether it is still being done. A sizeable minority of Glaswegians are just pigs, no other way to describe them. And that includes office workers who drop flyers out of their newspapers in the morning and just leave them lying about.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Pripyat wrote:Across in Auld Reekie, Lothian Transport has long had CCTV,
even TFT monitors upstairs on the double deckers. Total
voyeurism in the extreme :P

Anyway, wonder how long before Glasgow TFT monitors would
last :wink:

Very true. Edinburgh has its shitholes but the neds seem to be cleaner..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:01 pm

On the train to Shettleston everymorning the Ticket Collector always clears any rubbish left behind by commuters.

Something needs to be done to educate the public in general about litter. But until then we need to show zero tolerance and ensure that those who are the providers of services deal with this issue. As a city we hope to win the bid to hold the Commonwealth Games. The issue of how clean our street and public transport is will need to be made a priority. But we need the citizens and commuters of Glasgow to share in the responsibility and promote our City and present it in the most positive light. We need to stop the blame culture that has grown up here in Glasgow. That is not to say that when things go wrong we don't point them out. But we need to stop always using the usual scapegoats.

Yes service providers need to do more but as individuals we all can play a positive part. Some times when I get on the train if someone has left their rubbish I will put it in the bin before taking my seat. Its a very small act and yes it doesn't address the problem but if everyone did some small act maybe we wouldn't have the problem with litter that we do.

I would be very interested to know how CCTV in Edinburgh's buses was funded. If anyone has any information please pass it on.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:13 pm

Without being able to find a specific link, the main thrust of the Edinburgh Evening News Articles indicates that teh funding came from lothian Buses themselves as pasrt of their renewals. I think that they now have all buses under 7/8 years old, and all new ones are accesible to wheelchairs, have CCTV (5 or 6 cameras) etc.

Lothian Buses are benefited by only having to pay a dividend of £2million per year to their (council) shareholders, so can invest most of the remaining profits in low fares, and better buses.

Their night bus network is niot as extensive, but the work put in by them and City of Edinburgh to sort out several large PArk n Rides (hermiston, Ingliston, to the west and soon to be Todhills and Straiton to the South) has improved some fo teh traffic chaos. Of course at festival times it grinds to a halt again because vistors dont know about / want to use Park n Ride!

Having not been in Gl;asgow that long, was any attempt made to convert the Corporation Buses into a Council owned privately run company, as Lothian became, or where they just sold to private companies which First Bus then gobbled up?

First Bus do exist in Edinburgh, linking to West Lothian, South Queensferry, East Lothian and Mid Lothian, but their buses are by comparison older, dirtier and more expensive.

I am not saying that Edinburgh have got it sussed, but most of tehir buses are newer, cleaner and more pleasant than most of the Gl;asgow First Bus ones - although the new buses First have introducedn on the 44 route and 187 routes are nice, but few, and seem to still eb plagued by rubbish.

The CCTV also seems to make the Edinburgh Bus Drivers more confident to tackle anti-social behaviour, even coming out of their cab to do so. The Police are also often involved in such incidents called via the Bus-Depot radio link. Drivers also has spit kits to collect a sample if a customer spits at them, this can then be DNA tested and used with CCTV evidence to convict a person in court. The Drivers also have intercoms so can make announcements such as "would the customers smoking on the top deck please stop now". Shame seems to be very effective!
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:19 pm

Have to agree with you Dave, Lothian Buses are a pleasure to use.. well, as much of a pleasure as public transport can be! Thier drivers thank you for buying a ticket and not the other way round (like here!), the driver waits till everyones seated before moving off (unlike here!) and they are generally quite clean (again, unlike here!).

Say what you will about Edinburgh, but its public transport system is leaps and bounds ahead of ours!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby marginalwalker » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:07 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Have to agree with you Dave, Lothian Buses are a pleasure to use.. well, as much of a pleasure as public transport can be! Thier drivers thank you for buying a ticket and not the other way round (like here!), the driver waits till everyones seated before moving off (unlike here!) and they are generally quite clean (again, unlike here!).

Say what you will about Edinburgh, but its public transport system is leaps and bounds ahead of ours!

Agreed. I had an enjoyable trip on the 41 to Cramond last year ..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)