Coplawhill Works falling down

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:44 pm

Interesting article in some editions of the Evening Times the other day, about the discovery of a time capsule during the demolition works. Seemingly had some old newspapers and tram tickets in it dating from around 1900. Couldn't find it online, unfortunately, and it didn't say what was happening to the items found.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:53 pm

gap74 wrote:Interesting article in some editions of the Evening Times the other day, about the discovery of a time capsule during the demolition works. Seemingly had some old newspapers and tram tickets in it dating from around 1900. Couldn't find it online, unfortunately, and it didn't say what was happening to the items found.

Making a vist there soon to get some photos for Ken. I have asked if it would be possible to see the time capsule and it's contents. Will hopefully let you see the results later.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:48 am

gap74 wrote:Interesting article in some editions of the Evening Times the other day, about the discovery of a time capsule during the demolition works. Seemingly had some old newspapers and tram tickets in it dating from around 1900. Couldn't find it online, unfortunately, and it didn't say what was happening to the items found.

Coo, i'd love to see that 8O
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:24 pm

gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:23 pm

I'll look forward to seeing that. The early tickets are very rare.

I've just found this photo. In 1977 the recently demolished part was turned into the Transport Museum's workshop, after the original location had to be vacated to make way for a school, & meeting area.
Here's the interior. The electrical sub-station equipment used to be here.
You can see the Pollokshaws Road windows to the right, and the vertical supports, visible in some of the demolition photos, to the left.

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Coplawhill

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:56 pm

Just a couple of photos taken on a recent visit to the site.

Sorry to say that it has been confirmed that as part of the new develpment proposals for the site, including the bay that was demolished five bays will be removed. Subject to planning permission being agree.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:07 pm

Good job it`s the noughties alex, harbingers of bad news were be-headed in the past ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:14 pm

Its a tough job scary but I alway believe honesty is the best policy. Even though it will ensure that lots of people will be giving GCC and know doubt me a hard time for this. It is best to get the information out there.

I am considering some plastic surgery though.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:33 pm

I saw the cast columns in the pics alex they are a dying breed as well :(
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:56 pm

I hope they keep the tracks

On a side note we learned yesterday that the building was built on Stilts. I don’t think the new owners of the site know about ::):

Crusty will fill you in on all that
:wink:

-Fossil-[/url]
Last edited by Fossil on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:57 pm

There are loads of them.

We were given access to the upper floor as well but had to wear overalls and masks because of the pigeon droppings. There wasn't much to see but we managed to take a few photos.

Btw scary don't look now but have you been multi tasking!!!!
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:41 pm

Well I have to agree now with what Socceroo said a few pages back - to praphrase - the place is gubbed! Particularly now that the facade and first bay have been demolished. Not that this comforts me; I still find it sad.

In regards to the stilts, what I picked the guy up as saying was that the south eastern most portion of the fist bay is held up on stilts or columns due to the railway cutting running under it. These are employed on the embankments of the cutting (obviously - you can't put them on the track!)... here's a very rough diagram (unfortuanetly the satellite image is slightly askew so it doesnt seem he cutting runs too far under the building)

If you imagine the yellow lines define the track bed and the blue lines to be top of the embankment at ground level with the gradiented walls of the cutting being defined by the red hatched box - these are where the stilts/columns hold up the road deck and (formerly) part of the works. If you look on the pavement and road down there you will see this spray painted onto them to give the plant drivers a guide as to where was safe tto place any weight (either from plant or debris).

As Fossil hinted, it seems Scottish Balet and tier architects weren't aware of this and as a result are having to revise thier plans - so it's not all plain sailing for them! :)

Interesting too was the behind the scenes look in the Tramway where we saw all sorts of oddities like a giant dogs nipple (right hairy it was too!), a car (an actual one!) rolled up into a ball and, my favourite, a uge sheet of glass with a map of a city printed onto it. We couldn't decide where it was but it definately wasn't Glasgow - any ideas? Anyone remember seeing it before?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:14 am

I knew it, redevelopment the Glasgow way, the fucking Scottish Ballet must be pissing themselves with glee.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:51 am

glasgowken wrote:I knew it, redevelopment the Glasgow way, the fucking Scottish Ballet must be pissing themselves with glee.

they might.
but wait till they find oot about the ground - no big Lorrys over that bridge or yard soon btw 8)

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Craig » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:33 pm

The section of line that runs under the corner of the building was closed for the duration of the demolition last week as there were some doubts about the weight it could carry, only 2 engineering trains were allowed to pass under it at 5mph and the bridge was inspected after each train.
Craig
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)