Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:26 pm

Cheers, that works a treat!!!

Greatly improves the site :)
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AMcD » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:43 pm

Oops. The mirror image button was broken.

Fixed now. You'll have to re-install the script I'm afraid.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:24 pm

If anyone would like to see this type of lamppost. Take a trip down to Dalmarnock – on the site of the new Tesco and have a look at 5 of then still in situ along with the metal edged pavement.

http://tinyurl.com/gka2t

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fossil » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:15 pm

Anybody think of any changes or improvments to the VM?
I hope they get ride of the bloody scroll bars. is it possible Alex you can point out these wee niggles?

...so thats HH and GK and me? :) .

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby ramor69 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:27 pm

I see they've added the letter k to the street search. 8O
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:55 am

What would you like to see either improved, changed or added for viewing at the Virtual Mitchell?

Is there a particular problem other than those previously mentioned that you would like addressed?

How often do you view images on the Virtual Mitchell?

Do you have any suggestions?

Would you be willing to add your collection of photos to either the Mitchell Library of the Virtuall Mitchell?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:37 pm

OK! What's going on?

This has been opened 60 times yet no one has got anything to say :cry:

This will be an interesting revalation to the Head of the Mitchell Library when we meet with her within the next couple of weeks.

Surely the readers of this post (could that be 60) have got nothing to say.

Puzzling or what? I don't believe it has all been said before.

Come on people let's hear your views
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Could it be linked to other online resources like a map?

Could there be special features maybe relating to special events in the Mitchell or The People's Palace?

Could there be notes for the photos (Volunteers from here and other Glasgow sites)?

Has there been any photo archives added to the Mitchell's collection since the VM was set up?

Maybe a slide show with dialogue and cuttings?

Could the Herald archive be utilised for some themed diplays?

Is there gonna be a Friends of the Virtual Mitchell?

There should be a links page to some of the sites that we've recommended on here re trabsport , cinemas etc.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:14 pm

Fantastic Dex :D

At last something to discuss.

I like all of these ideas. The one for the Hearld archive is interesting. I think the Herald and the Evening Times have a deal with the council that retains their copy right. They are still trying to sell the images but it is worth exploring.

I don't think there is enough integration within the Council and wish there was more tie in's. The Virtual Mitchell would be a great place to start, photos of all Glasgow's museums, temporary displays online, the list could go on and on.

I am sure that if we had a Friends of the Virtual Mitchell this could provide all the volunteers needed to make the photos come alive. I think of the posts that Doc Lighting submits when someone has posted a photo of a War Grave. Giving the personal touch. This would enhance the Virtual Mitchell and take it to a new dimension.

Also, I think you have struck on the missing link with regards to your suggestion for links to other online resourses. When I first heard about the Virtual Mitchell I thought it would be more than just photos. There is more to the Mitchell and its photo collection and this idea should be developed further.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Virtual Mitchell

Postby dimairt » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:42 pm

As a regular user of the VM, I'm pleased to see that it has been revamped - it is a great site.
I'm disappointed though to note that they've missed the opportunity to correct long-standing mistakes. Like others , I've written re corrections but nothing has been changed. The SCRAN site, by contrast, welcomes corrections and additional information and replies to all e-mail.
I like the idea of a 'friends of the VM' as suggested by Dexter. I know that the Transport Museum has volunteers working behind the scenes.

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 pm

Bump
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:13 pm

A reminder to all that on Thursday a few of us will be meeting folks from teh Mitchell to discuss how HG can assist, so any further suggestions (or criticisms - constructive pelase!) would be very much welcomed.

The more people that comment the more information we can take with us.

Thanks to those who have already put forward ideas.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nodrog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:51 pm

Like others, I feel a more obvious correction of mistakes that people pointed out would be a good start. It should also seek to become something more like the sadly defunct The Glasgow Story going forward.

More general Mitchell comments:
I'd also like to see easier access to the Mitchell's catalogues online - the city building plans archive catalogues for example are computerised, but AFAIK only accessible from PCs inside the building. It'd be great to be able look up what I want to see and find out if it still exists (e.g. specific sets of building plans) before turning up at the Mitchell itself.

Also, when you're there, could you please query their progress in coming up with a new policy for digital photographs of archive materials.

Used to be if you were a student or for some personal research, you could use a digital camera (sans flash!) to take photos of out-of-copyright plans and records. This was especially useful for some of the gorgeously hand-painted full colour old building plans that otherwise cost a *fortune* to get reproduced photographically by them.
But last time I was in I was told digital photos were no longer allowed full stop while they formulated a new plan. They are - reasonably - worried about unathorised reproduction, but I still feel its a bit over the top, especially with out-of-copyright stuff.

Following on from that, I'd like to see them making progress to make more of their collections digitised to make sure they will survive the next few decades. A worryingly large number of their building plans seem to go missing every time the archives move, or get mislaid or damaged. Being able to produce digital copies when requested would obviously also reduce wear and tear on the very delicate originals...

Hope this helps!

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:19 pm

Thnaks for this nodrog 8)

fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby sonofanger » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:36 am

Is there any update on this?

I'm interested because I was keen to help when I was a volunteer, but was told that the database was locked and could not be edited, at least by Archives staff who have lost control of a website that they played a large part in creating. Does this sound plausible?

I'm also writing about digitisation projects and don't want to be overly critical if they are taking steps to improve things :D

Cheers,

Catherine
sonofanger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)