Cessnock and the surrounding area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cessnock and the surrounding area

Postby Sunflower » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:46 pm

One of the Walmer Cres flats from the beginning of this thread went on the market a couple of weeks ago -

Worth a look if only to be amazed at the immense size of the rooms:
http://www.s1homes.com/buying/search/2008061612564652.shtml
No Thomson-era internal features left on account of it having been a burned-out wreck for years, but on the other hand the refurbishing must have been a lot more thorough than the usual clean-and-paint job. And did I mention the room size?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:35 am

The proposed path from Walmer crescent to Pacific Quay,though this was mooted back in 2005 and i can't see the path being put in place until PQ has been developed & populated further.

Does anyone have any further info on this ?

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi Mori, interesting find. (How do you do it?? :D )

From your post on Skyscraper City (unmasking myself as a lurker...) I see it originated with Gareth Hoskins Architects, commissioned jointly by the BBC and the council. (I'm working on revising my opinion of the BBC as anti-social self-centred no-goods who've done nothing for the neighbourhood beyond sterilising the riverside with their glass box, but even if the BBC wanted that masterplan it can't make it happen.)

That connection from the footbridges to Cessnock underground and PRdW is absolutely what's needed to make 'regeneration' aka rebuilding at the river work for the local area. But it's just a dream

The Walmer Crescent Association has had a go via both the current and previous MSPs - they've written letters to the relevant parties at Pacific Quay who write back saying they support the creation of a direct route. But only the council can do anything to make it happen. Local rumour has it that the guy who owns the wedge of land on Brand Street (edit - I mean the other one, Govan Road) opposite the park (that the path would have to go through) wants the land to be rezoned for mixed residential/business use and the council won't do it. The Walmer Crescent Association thinks this is a good idea since some residential development (live-work units maybe?) could form a link between the proposed Pacific Quay development see here and the existing residential areas, making the whole place more active and feeling safer.

Although the Pacific Quay website only appeared relatively recently (and obviously didn't pay any attention to the Gareth Hoskins proposal) it was before the events of the last few months, so I expect there's plenty of time for everyone to go back to their drawing boards again before anything happens.

Meanwhile, the core paths consultation and the City Plan (latest) consultation have been and almost gone, but all those kind of things seem more like wish lists than plans for things to actually happen. I'm increasingly of the opinion that anybody who does anything that uses the 'regeneration' tag should be required to show how the regenerated bit links organically with its setting.

Going off now for a depressed Christmas :cry:
Last edited by Sunflower on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Mori wrote:The proposed path from Walmer crescent to Pacific Quay,though this was mooted back in 2005 and i can't see the path being put in place until PQ has been developed & populated further.

Does anyone have any further info on this ?

No further info, but the idea's pretty neat. Although the walk down to Pacific Quay is perfectly do-able from Cessnock, I've always considered it a bit of a stretch to say that the station "serves" the Science Centre. You need a pretty good idea of where you're going before you set off; there's next to no info provided on how to get from A to B! An easy-to-follow path would make things much simpler, and make that station much more attractive to tourists/locals/feart BBC employees alike...
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 pm

sds wrote:Although the walk down to Pacific Quay is perfectly do-able from Cessnock, I've always considered it a bit of a stretch to say that the station "serves" the Science Centre. You need a pretty good idea of where you're going before you set off; there's next to no info provided on how to get from A to B! An easy-to-follow path would make things much simpler, and make that station much more attractive to tourists/locals/feart BBC employees alike...

Quite. I've done it before, but felt pretty lost and exposed. I got a bit lost. The map at Cessnock implies that it's easy... :roll:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby galoot » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Sunflower wrote:That connection from the footbridges to Cessnock underground and PRdW is absolutely what's needed to make 'regeneration' aka rebuilding at the river work for the local area. But it's just a dream

Spot on, Sunflower. Rab C Nesbitt said something similar in the Xmas special, although nowhere near as eloquently. Pacific Quay may as well be in Edinburgh, such is its relationship with its Govan / Cessnock surroundings.
http://misanthropesforjesus.blogspot.com
galoot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cessnockmick » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Hello, Im new to this site...I thought this may be of interest regarding a potential link from PRW to Pacific Quay, its an Email correspondence from September 08

Michael,
Thank you for the enquiry - we are the joint letting agents for the office phases of development on the Pacific Quay site. As such, we are not closely involved in the overall masterplanning of the site - this was last carried out by Gareth Hoskins Architects at the beginning of '06 - you may wish to speak with them.
Notwithstanding the above, I understand that the intention is that there will be a link through to Govan Road and the Underground at some point in the future as development progresses.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Roddy.

Roderick Proudfoot I Associate Director
CB Richard Ellis Limited I Business Space Agency & Development
Pacific House I 70 Wellington Street I Glasgow I G2 6UA
T 0141 204 7707 I F 0141 306 0141
[email protected] I http://www.cbre.com

Please consider the environment before printing this email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 18 September 2007 12:22
To: Proudfoot, Roderick @ Glasgow PH
Subject: Pacific Quay Masterplan

Hello there,
Im not sure if you would be the right contact, but can you tell me if there are any new access routes (footpaths or otherwise) linking Brand Street with Govan Road and Festival Park proposed? ie, making posssible future access from Cessnock subway far more easy?

Regards,

Michael Greenhorn

Senior Architectural Technician
cessnockmick
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:18 pm

cessnockmick wrote:Hello there,
Im not sure if you would be the right contact, but can you tell me if there are any new access routes (footpaths or otherwise) linking Brand Street with Govan Road and Festival Park proposed? ie, making posssible future access from Cessnock subway far more easy?

Regards,

Michael Greenhorn

Senior Architectural Technician

Hi Mick this is a document produced by GCC in 2007 as regards to the path leading to PQ internaly within the site, the path from Cessnock underground through Brand st towards Govan Rd is in dispute @ the moment as to ownership issues by the private office estate that is being constructed at the moment, GCC are in negotioations withthe owners of this land to conclude a pathway for easy access in the future to the PQ area.

Hope this helps.

Mori :D

Proposed Excambion between Glasgow City Council and Grosvenor
Developments Limited
Festival Park Govan Road

Purpose of Report:
To seek Committee approval to an Excambion of land with Grosvenor Developments Limited

Recommendations:
That Committee approves the Excambion of land with Grosvenor Developments Limited on terms
and conditions outlined in the report.

1. HOLDING ACCOUNT
Land and Environmental Services
2. BACKGROUND
A planning application (number 05/00045/DC) has been made on behalf of Grosvenor
Developments Limited for a mixed use development on a site which is adjacent to Festival
Park. Glasgow City Council being the Planning Authority is minded to grant the Planning
Permission for the Development subject to various conditions and to other considerations.
In order to facilitate the development in a manner acceptable to the Planning Authority and
to Grosvenor Developments Limited, the Planning Authority and Grosvenor Developments
Limited considered it desirable to enter into an agreement in terms of Section 75 of the
Town and Country (Planning) Scotland Act 1997. The terms of the s.75 agreement have
now been agreed between both parties and Legal Services are in the process of concluding
the transaction.
The primary objectives of the s.75 agreement are:
(a) To ensure that the proposed development works will be brought forward in
accordance with an approved development programme.
(b) The procurement of improvement works to Festival Park.
(c) The implementation of a Green Travel Plan
3. OBSERVATIONS
In order to facilitate the development; Grosvenor Developments Limited need to acquire
three plots of land from Glasgow City Council shown as plots 1, 2 & 3 on the attached plan.
Grosvenor Developments Limited has offered to dispose of plot 4 shown on the plan to
Glasgow City Council in order to regularise boundary issues at Festival Park.
In addition, as part of the Green Travel Plan, Grosvenor Developments Limited are required
to construct a pedestrian access through the site shown as the proposed Public Realm on
the attached plan, the ownership and maintenance responsibilities of the Public Realm will
remain with Grosvenor Developments Limited or their successors and the right of public
access over the Public Realm will be preserved in perpetuity. Glasgow City Council are
also required to construct a pedestrian access to the same standard within Festival Park
from Govan Road to link with the developers access, the cost of these works being borne
by the developer.
The cost of the Festival Park improvement works has been estimated at £650,000 (six
hundred and fifty thousand pounds) and Grosvenor Developments Limited have agreed to
pay Glasgow City Council this sum which shall be the subject of a Section 69 Agreement of
the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997. Land and Environmental Services
have elected to undertake the improvement works.
Land and Environmental Services have declared plots 1, 2 & 3 surplus to their
requirements to facilitate disposal to Grosvenor Developments Limited in pursuance of their
overall objectives in relation to the improvement works at Festival Park.
4. PROPOSED TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Glasgow City Council will dispose of Plots 1, 2 & 3 extending to 1556 m2 or thereby as
shown hatched on the plan to Grosvenor Developments Limited.
2. Grosvenor Developments Limited will dispose of Plot 4; an area of land extending to 226m2
or thereby as shown crosshatched on the plan to Glasgow City Council.
3. Each Party shall bear their own legal and professional fees in respect of the transaction.
4. The Excambion of land will be at nil consideration.
5. The Excambion will include such other terms and conditions as considered necessary and
agreed between Grosvenor Developments Limited, the Chief Executive and the Executive
Director of Development and Regeneration Services.
5. SERVICE IMPLICATIONS
Financial: £650,000 to be realised under s.69 of the Town and Country Planning
(Scotland) Act 1997.
Legal: Conclude the transaction on Behalf of the Council
Personnel: None
Service Plan: Contributes to DRS Service Objective 5 - Property Optimisation.
Environmental: None.
Development and Regeneration Services
Report No. 193-07/TF
13 September 2007

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Looks like the Bellahouston academy Annex is to be a hotel with the Gym & pool being demolished.

Reference: 08/02691/DC Community Cnl: Ibrox/Cessnock
Address: Site At Bellahouston Academy Annex 423 Paisley Road West Glasgow
Proposal: Erection of hotel
Date Received: 08.10.2008 Date Valid: 05.01.2009
Applicant
Details: MHSBR Properties
Agent Details: 0141 945 3650
C M M Architects
Fergus House 127 Fergus Drive North Kelvinside
Ward: Govan
Type: Full Planning Permission
Case Officer: Ms L Pasi, 0141 287 6029 (NOT FRI)
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 256207 (N) 664354

Reference: 08/02692/DC Community Cnl: Ibrox/Cessnock
Address: Site At Bellahouston Academy Annex 423 Paisley Road West Glasgow
Proposal: Demolition of former Bellahouston Academy swimming pool and gymnasium.
Date Received: 08.10.2008 Date Valid: 05.01.2009
Applicant
Details: MHSBR Properties
Agent Details: 0141 945 3650
C M M Architects, Fergus House 127 Fergus Drive North Kelvinside
Ward: Govan
Type: Listed Building Consent
Case Officer: Ms L Pasi, 0141 287 6029 (NOT FRI)
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 256207 (N) 664354

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks, Mori. Good news (I think) - it was starting to look a bit worrying for the old school.

Not sure the folk currently operating a car wash out of the pool building will agree, mind you.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Update : I was speaking to one of the local shopkeepers this morning, and he claims that the Council have written to them saying that, although permission has been granted for a hotel development, this won't in fact be happening.

The probability is that it will, instead, be a drug rehabilitation centre.

So we're back to 'I give it five or six years at the most' as regards the building.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:38 pm

totally gutted at the drug rehab centre, Had taken a fancy to a flat In North Gower Street......... Oh well on with the search !!!!

Thanks so much for providing that info :)
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 pm

I nearly bought a flat there seven or eight years ago, above the Deli.

It's a surprisingly decent area to live in. Really. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Sunflower wrote:One of the Walmer Cres flats from the beginning of this thread went on the market a couple of weeks ago -

No Thomson-era internal features left on account of it having been a burned-out wreck for years, but on the other hand the refurbishing must have been a lot more thorough than the usual clean-and-paint job. And did I mention the room size?

Going back a wee bit, but I had no idea part of Walmer Cres had been burnt out. A wee good news story it getting saved, surely.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:54 am

Lucky Poet wrote:
Sunflower wrote:One of the Walmer Cres flats from the beginning of this thread went on the market a couple of weeks ago -

Going back a wee bit, but I had no idea part of Walmer Cres had been burnt out. A wee good news story it getting saved, surely.

I nearly bought one of those flats a good few years ago. They are a smashing size inside.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)