Cessnock and the surrounding area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby McShad » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that Furniture shop is still there and still open... not so sure about any celtic top
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 pm

I only just noticed this on the Underground thread http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... sc&start=0, but I thought it might be nice here.

Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:08 am

You could get a present day picture and post it in the past & present thread too!
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:36 pm

Mori wrote:Aye walmer cres has been left to dilapidate over the years, i can remeber a scheme by the council to demolish all the shops on PRW just for the sake of making the AGT Building as a tourist attraction... needless to say that never came to fruit as to as you say absentee landlords and lack of interest from the owners, the biggest obstacle was from the shopowners not willing to sell out to the council as they were offering peanuts for their properties.

my dad worked as site manager for the construction firm that did the renovation of those corner flats that photo looks like it was taken before the renovation, i had the pleasure of seeing the plans and i know preserving the greek thompson features was a top priority ,its sad to see them in a state now , the plans should be kicking around the house somewhere as my dad kept all the old plans he worked on
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:27 pm

Crazygray, if you find those plans there are some people who'd be really interested in a look-see...

(Those particular flats aren't in a state, it's the ones on the other corner.)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:42 pm

Incidently i dont know if you know ..there is a Pathway planned by GCC from Cessnock underground all the way to the up and coming Pacific Quay development.

1: BBC Main Building
2: BBC Ancilliary Building
3: Glasgow Science Centre
4: Clyde Auditorium (Armadillo)
5: SECC
6: Moathouse Hotel
7: Bell's Bridge
8: Millennium Bridge
7: New Finnieston Bridge
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:06 pm

Er... where'd the Garden Festival park go?

And alright, I know that it fills up with Tennents Super Lager aficionados in the evening, but if it's that or the usual Light Industrial Units I'll take the park, please.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:41 pm

The park is to be included in to the development more info http://www.pacificquay-developments.co.uk/
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:59 pm

Why is the new bridge and bells bridge both numbered 7?

Before I look at the development webpage... I heard another hotel and channel 4 studios are the intended
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:16 pm

Mori wrote:Incidently i dont know if you know ..there is a Pathway planned by GCC from Cessnock underground all the way to the up and coming Pacific Quay development.

Hi Mori, d'you know how recent that plan is? I've heard murmurings that Kinning Park's going to be the preferred station because it's too much of a challenge to carve a right of way from Brand Street through to Govan Road. Then there could be a path through the park, no probs. Except after dark ...

I've seen another plan sometime somewhere with the park (it has to stay, it's got tadpoles), a hotel, office blocks and the usual collection of (ahem) luxury apartments.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:19 am

Hi Sunflower

as far as i am aware the cessnock plan is still on ...there is PQ a thred on SSC Glasgow Metro Area that explains all the different developments happening @ PQ. :)

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=247990

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:26 am

I'm going to take a little via on my way home from work in the morning.... going to walk along brand street/govan road to see if I can work out how this path would work.... I think there is a new office block build on Brand Street at the bottom of the street from the underground
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:39 am

McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cessnock

Postby porridge » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:11 am

Re: Walmer Crescent, I would be very interested in any plans and drawings anyone had of the crescent. It would greatly help the repair and rehabilitation process. How could yo get them to us?

But hey, although there are problems and there is much to be done, parts of the crescent are looking good!
porridge
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sunflower » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:31 am

Sorry, the dotted lines don't come out very well.

It does look as though it would be easy to have a direct path, but the red bit doesn't have public access. On Brand Street they've built that new office block (Govan Initiative, very helpful :? ), though you'd think a path could easily be made between the two car parks there. But then the route's blocked by a long wedge-shaped site that I think was all Macfarlane, had To Let signs all over it last time I noticed.

So anyone who gets off at Cessnock for the Science Centre, as the signs say, has to trek all round the end of the park, down to where Govan Rd joins Pacific Drive, and back along. The other way round, to Whitefield Rd, is even worse.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)