Cessnock and the surrounding area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cessnock and the surrounding area

Postby Bogg » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Hello,
My name is Bogdan, I work for an international company. They will soon send me to their branch in Glasgow, for one year, and they told me that I will live in a flat in Cessnock area, on Paisley Road west, about 10 minutes walk from Cessnock Subway Station.
how is living in Cessnock? expensive? what kind of neighbours I can have? calm or noisy? is it a poor area? (and as a result unsafe?) is it a safe area? how big is the criminality?
is it easy to reach the downtown? (other possibilities than subway?)
how far are any shopping centers?
is that a good area or should I think to rent (on my own expense) a flat in another area?
best regards,
Bogdan
Bogg
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sunflower » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Bogg, welcome to Glasgow (soon). Sounds interesting - you can get quite a long way along PRdW in 10 mins.

Hmmm, let's think - Downside first..... Litter and street mess, inability of council either to stop residents/businesses dumping rubbish on the pavements or to clear it away promptly, jungle yowls in the middle of the night by people making their way home (presumably) along PRdW after a fun Glasgow night out, one particular pack of feral children rampaging about from time to time who'll no doubt soon graduate to more heavy duty pastimes, lots of sat-navs being stolen from cars, local rumour mill adamant that this flat and that shop used by drug dealers. Little greenery, and no compensating city delights on the doorstep (unless anyone else knows of a welcoming pub?) Usually feels safe enough though (except I wouldn't want to be out when those yowls are going on).

On the upside....... Subway is magic for quick move to Byres Rd area or city centre (but keep an eye on Ibrox fixture list), Cessnock Co-op pricier than supermarkets but v handy and open late, veg shops with exotic ingredients also open late, choice of low-grade fast food shops, Asda (big supermarket) walkable, cinemas at The Quay walkable (and branded fast food), river near-by - see it while walking to west end / city centre (who needs a gym membership? - though both those routes probably still going to be spoiled by construction work for at least another year but it adds a bit of interest spotting progress or lack of), you can also keep an eye on efforts to stop the Squinty bridge falling down, Pollok Park walkable via footbridge over M8 (visit the tranquil woods before they Go Ape), easy access to M8 (airport one way, Kingston Bridge jam the other).

Summary - neither the best nor the worst of Glasgow flatland, and for the full Glasgow experience you do need to be in tenement-land (preferably in a Victorian tenement, which is likely but not guaranteed 10 mins from Cessnock subway), as for noise, there'll be the usual main road / bus route noise from PRdW, but nothing too annoying (unless it's coming from the neighbours.) Cost? Well, if it's them paying for a flat in Cessnock or you paying for one somewhere else - you can pay for a lot of taxis with the rent money....

Other offers?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Welcome to the HG forum Bogdan - I am sure you will find your stay in Glasgow an interesting, rewarding and indeed unforgettable experience. I lived in the Cessnock area for about 22 years, until very recently in fact, and I agree with everything Sunflower says. It is an inner city area, perhaps in many ways not the most salubrious of districts, but nowhere near as bad as many other parts of Glasgow. As long as you stay out of the pubs on Paisley Road West and don't wander about on your own in the dead of night you should definitely be o.k.

One thing I would like to mention is that it is also very much a cosmopolitan area with a wide range of different ethnicities in residence, not just the standard West of Scotland variety. Judging by your name am I right in thinking that you may be Polish? There are quite a lot of Polish people now living in the area with whom you might wish to make contact once you are here. The local public library in Midlock St. is probably the best place to go to initially to get information in this respect.

It would be interesting to know which street you will be living in. Does your employer know this already?
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Sunflower wrote:Hmmm, let's think - Downside first..... Litter and street mess, inability of council either to stop residents/businesses dumping rubbish on the pavements or to clear it away promptly, jungle yowls in the middle of the night by people making their way home (presumably) along PRdW after a fun Glasgow night out, one particular pack of feral children rampaging about from time to time who'll no doubt soon graduate to more heavy duty pastimes, lots of sat-navs being stolen from cars, local rumour mill adamant that this flat and that shop used by drug dealers. Little greenery, and no compensating city delights on the doorstep (unless anyone else knows of a welcoming pub?) Usually feels safe enough though (except I wouldn't want to be out when those yowls are going on).

Goodness, the things you miss when you are 200 yards along the road :D .

I moved to the area seven years ago expecting it to be pretty dodgy. It hasn't been. You can't guarantee good neighbours no matter where you live (and in fact in the expensive leafy suburb where I used to live several of my elderly neighbours were driven out by public-school yahoo kids, who believed they had the right to do more or less anything they wanted, because 'Don't you know who my daddy is?')

I have never had a problem wandering back late at night along PRdW or across the river at the SECC.

As Sunflower and Viceroy say, do avoid most of the local pubs, though. :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:43 pm

I slipped on Dog shite last week just Beside Cherry and Heather. Thats the only thing thats ever happened to me out that way
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:50 pm

Fossil wrote:I slipped on Dog shite last week just Beside Cherry and Heather. Thats the only thing thats ever happened to me out that way

Cherry and Heather being a rather nice deli, for those of you with febrile imaginations :D .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Josef wrote:
Fossil wrote:I slipped on Dog shite last week just Beside Cherry and Heather. Thats the only thing thats ever happened to me out that way

Cherry and Heather being a rather nice deli, for those of you with febrile imaginations :D .

Yes I have to agree
Fossil
-
-

Postby Bogg » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:22 pm

thank you for your answers...it does not seem to be very bad.
regards,
Bogdan
Bogg
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby govanboay » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:36 am

Yep, I live on PRdW just across from the Co-op and I have to agree with the previous posters' views. It's actually not that bad living in this area and I hope you will enjoy Glasgow very much.

paul.
govanboay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby galoot » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:35 pm

viceroy wrote: As long as you stay out of the pubs on Paisley Road West...

Any ideas why, with the possible exception of a couple of pubs at Paisley Road Toll, the drinking haunts are so uniformly scary to those not of a hardcore Orange persuasion? Having lived close to a couple of football stadia in England, there are always club-themed bars in the vacinity of the ground, but (matchday excepting) I've never come across such a plethora of psuedo-sectarian hardcore drinking dens.

I'm particularly interested in this because Cessnock / Ibrox doesn't come across as a hotbed of Unionism despite the proximity of a certain football stadium. My guess is that many of the shipyard workers would have lived in the area, and that (as with the Harland and Wolff yard in Belfast) the majority of workers would have been Protestant. Only a guess though...

Oh, and can anyone recommend anywhere halfway decent to drink in Ibrox? I'm growing very thirsty.
http://misanthropesforjesus.blogspot.com
galoot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:59 pm

The Kensington is alright, G. It's a postie's pub, and pretty good-natured.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Josef wrote:The Kensington is alright, G. It's a postie's pub, and pretty good-natured.

its got a nice ceiling
Fossil
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:40 am

He spends a lot of time on his back.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:38 am

HollowHorn wrote:He spends a lot of time on his back.

Wanton hussy.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Just came accross this site for Walmer Crescent.

walmercrescent.org

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)