Cessnock and the surrounding area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby jack » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:12 pm

I ve recently noticed people working in the burnt out flats, at the end of walmer crescent. The owners seem to have finally started renovating the building.
jack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sunflower » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:37 pm

Owners sold to other owners, now converting the ground floor and basement giant single unit to two separate flats. Allegedly. (Fingers crossed for owner-occupied, not the dreaded multi-occupancy.) (Even sub-divided there'll be dining-sized kitchen, huge lounge, three double beds.) Mega-improvement on the outside anyway :D
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:04 am

Sunflower wrote:Owners sold to other owners, now converting the ground floor and basement giant single unit to two separate flats. Allegedly. (Fingers crossed for owner-occupied, not the dreaded multi-occupancy.) (Even sub-divided there'll be dining-sized kitchen, huge lounge, three double beds.) Mega-improvement on the outside anyway :D

The lights shining through the holes in the window boards and under the door gives it away
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jack » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 am

Excellent news.
That area of Cessnock seems to be changing, a few new shops, a new indian cafe and a fancy deli place on North Gower Street.
jack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jack » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Walked past Walmer Crescent last week and noticed that the upper floor of the burn't out corner is being worked on, plasterboard internal partitions and new windows have been fitted. What a huge difference to the building.

The windows appear to be white pvc, could be wrong about the pvc, but white.......Through previous experiences with listed buildings, I would assume that the windows should be black, in keeping with the rest of the tenement.
jack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sunflower » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:36 pm

I noticed that too... A few of us were talking about it at the weekend, general consensus is that the windows are getting grey undercoat then black. Not v happy about the front door though - maybe the Listed Buildings people will be talking to them nicely about that :wink:

We went past the Harley St side on Saturday afternoon and saw they had the panel out in the basement - I thought it was covering up a door opening, but there wasn't any door case, just raggedy wall edges, like it's been punched through relatively recently. Impressively thick walls.

I'm fascinated that they've got blinds up in some upstairs windows - can they possibly have finished all the messy stuff already?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:44 pm

As someone who's just moved to this area after a lifetime in the West End, I'm glad to see there are some people round here who give a toss about the area they live in, and it's not just all students/multi occupancy etc. I'd like to help out with the cleaning up, if the person who's organising could pm me and give me details of the next one, I'll do my best to come along. And hello everybody! :D
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:13 am

Mcshad & viceroy,i live right beside ibrox terrace and merrick gardens in the multi storys,will try and get some view from above pics of the turrets at corner of merrick and ibrox terrace asap :wink:
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:41 am

I'll be walking by there in about an hours time
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:41 pm

lynnski wrote:As someone who's just moved to this area after a lifetime in the West End .... I'd like to help out with the cleaning up, if the person who's organising could pm me and give me details of the next one, I'll do my best to come along. And hello everybody! :D

Hello Lynnski :D and welcome ... in spite of the time it's taken to post this (a little local broadband difficulty :evil: ), it's great to hear from you. PM on its way...
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bella Houston » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:59 pm

[quote="viceroy"]I have been looking at an aerial photograph of south Clydeside taken in 1954 and it shows Edmiston Drive at its current width as it starts off from Paisley Road West, but you can just about see that it narrows considerably when it reaches the tenements at the junction with Copland Road and widens out again beyond this point as it passes Ibrox stadium.

Obviously this would have been a traffic bottleneck which is presumably why the closes in question were demolished, but exactly when this occurred I don't know, although of course it would have been after 1954.
[/quote]

I attended Bellahouston Primary School opposite Ibrox Stadium from 1967 - 1971 (now called Ibrox Primary School). I used to walk up to the school along Edmiston Drive from Paisley Road West. I can remember the end blocks of the tenements at Copland Road being demolished in my early years at the school. It must have been about 1967 or 1968.
Bella Houston
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Cessnock and the surrounding area

Postby Josef » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:25 pm

viceroy wrote:
My Kitten wrote:IIRC, it was purchased as a privately run Muslim School don't know if that came to fruition tho.

Part of the building was indeed used for a while as a private school for Muslim children. It was called the Iqra Academy I think, or something like that. But they didn't get enough feepaying pupils to turn it into a going concern, also the Schools Inspectorate didn't give them a very good report - their teaching methods were criticised and I believe there was even a suggestion that corporal punishment might have been resorted to. That obviously didn't do their reputation an awful lot of good. The school closed after about 2 years, or maybe even less.

At present the building is empty and boarded up and in a pretty sorry state. The playground at the North Gower St. end is being used as a car wash.

It is far too grand a building to be left to go to seed like this. It is the only building of real architectural interest in the area, apart from the Alexander Thomson tenement in Walmer Crescent. I would think that conversion for residential use would really be the only feasible option for it.

A wee update : the ground floor of the school is now back in use as an Ethnic Minority Opportunities Centre, and the vegetation has been cleared from the front of the building (although the litter has remained untouched for a year or two as far as I can tell, and the bleached-out condition tends to confirm). The upper half remains unused, though, and the several boarded-up windows remain that. The trees growing out of the roof of the annexe at the back (the bit being used as a carwash) continue to grow. Like most of the locals that I have spoken to, I remain rather pessimistic about its future.

On the positive side, the burnt-out flats on the corner of Walmer Crescent have been restored.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:56 pm

The Ethnic Minority Enterprise Centre (EMEC) was previously based in Wellington Street and is funded by Scottish Enterprise and Glasgow City Council. So unless the First Minister actually carries out his bonfire of the quangos particularly those based in Glasgow I think its future is reasonably secure. Is its local MSP anyone of importance? They could of course move a theatre company in to the upper floors for even more security.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:58 pm

For what it's worth, around the time of my original post I was told by a local shopkeeper that the old Bellahouston Academy building was owned by an Asian businessman called Maq Rasul who also ran the Global Video chain. This may or may not be true. However, if it is, and considering the fact that said chain of video shops went into administration last year, I think we can safely assume that there will be little in the way of private funds forthcoming to ensure this building receives the level of care and maintenance it needs to keep it from deteriorating further.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks to Sunrise radio this was heir estimation in 2004
96. Maq RASUL (dob 10/10/53)
Retailing
£20.00m
In 1964, Maq Rasul came to Britain from Pakistan. After graduating from university, he scraped together the money to start a grocery shop in 1977. He later moved in to video rentals and Global, his Scottish-based company, is now expanding into England. In 2003, profits fell sharply to 809,000 on £34m sales. A £10m value on the company is appropriate. Rasul now owns it all - spends £2.3m buying out 3i's 23% stake (thus £10m valuation). Other assets, past dividends (£1.5m in 2001) and tanning operation £10m

Coupled with my understanding of capitalism he's down to his last £10m.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)