Cessnock and the surrounding area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cessnock and the surrounding area

Postby Shardonnay » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:45 pm

Josef wrote:I nearly bought a flat there seven or eight years ago, above the Deli.

It's a surprisingly decent area to live in. Really. :D

Tempted to buy for the close proximity of the Deli :D Actually the flat in North Gower Street is lovely, still has period features and fire places in every room, a cast iron range in the kitchen , just wonderful sigh! warms the cockles of my heart.

I like the area but have had so many negative opinions from friends who live in Glasgow, mind you none have actually lived in Cessnock.
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Shardonnay wrote:
Josef wrote:I nearly bought a flat there seven or eight years ago, above the Deli.

Tempted to buy for the close proximity of the Deli :D Actually the flat in North Gower Street is lovely, still has period features and fire places in every room, a cast iron range in the kitchen , just wonderful sigh! warms the cockles of my heart.

I like the area but have had so many negative opinions from friends who live in Glasgow, mind you none have actually lived in Cessnock.

Cessnocks not as bad a folk make out. you'll get more bang for you buck. Its a good location for the town and westend.

Only down side is dog shite
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Shardonnay » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Fossil wrote:
Shardonnay wrote:

Cessnocks not as bad a folk make out. you'll get more bang for you buck. Its a good location for the town and westend.

Only down side is dog shite

could cost a few bob on shoes then, cleaning dog shite would give me the boak. yep I am I wimp.

I love the Westend great pubs , restaurants and brilliant live gigs on at the Oran Mor, Been to a fair few pubs in town but look forward to working my way round them all hic.
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Mori wrote:Looks like the Bellahouston academy Annex is to be a hotel with the Gym & pool being demolished.

I went to have a look at the application - last date for 'representations' was today, the plans were still available for looking at yesterday, so presumably they're still applying for permission to build the 'hotel'. I can't believe that anyone would countenance a 120-room drug rehabilitation centre, but from the objections already in the file people have clearly heard that something like that is in the wind.

Here's some stuff from the City Plan about 'development policy':

"...the design of new developments (affecting listed buildings) shall respect the character of the area, particuarly with regard to massing and materials" and "The aim should be to produce well-designed layouts of an appropriate scale and massing of buildings and landscaping using high-quality materials suited to their surroundings ... and be able to last the test of time."

This proposed 120 room hotel doesn't so much ignore the City Plan's fine words as laugh -and then spit - in their face. It wouldn't look out of place as the accommodation block for a boot camp. (Hang on a minute....)

There's nothing in the application about the original school building, apart from the fact that it lurks in the drawings like an oversized and inconvenient garden ornament. And there's no way the original building would be developed in the future as extra facilities for the hotel - they're like chalk and cheese.

Anyone in the businsss with an opinion on what quality of 120-room hotel you get for their £6.2 million? It's four storeys over car parking, brick and render, rooms are about 5.5 x 3.9 m (including bathroom 2 x 1.7 m), 'lounge' area basically in the entrance, 'dining area' shown with 20 small round tables with four chairs, kitchen a bit bigger than one of the rooms... - remembering the demolition - )

It's particularly depressing that architects are involved in putting this application forward - you'd hope they'd know it was out-of-order in so many ways that they wouldn't bother trying. Unless the owners are hoping the council's so desperate for construction work at the moment they'll let anything through.

The worst thing is that if it does get built an economic use then needs to be found for a grand baronial style stone ex-school building with a barracks-style block nestling into its rear. Any ideas?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Last thing this area needs is a meeting point for all the scumbag junkies in the area,one thing which would be increased is the crime rate,who actually funds these places and decides in which areas there put.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:28 pm

big/davie wrote:Last thing this area needs is a meeting point for all the scumbag junkies in the area,one thing which would be increased is the crime rate,who actually funds these places and decides in which areas there put.

Scumbags !!!! oh dear what a lovely picture you paint .artistic licence is personified by your poetic posts. have a lovely weekend BIg D
::):
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Couldn't think of a more pleasant way of putting it, drug users just doesn't sound the same :? you have a nice weekend too :wink:
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:02 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Nice location - looking straight across to rows of smelly binstores on a rubbish-strewn lane that turns into a mudbath when it's wet! 8O
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm

wayhayy....Ive hated these buildings for many a year, good to see something a wee bit positive being proposed, these retail units are well needed for this area.

were these buildings not a part of the Woolworths buildings during the 60s/70s, if i can remember right. ?

GSV

Gleniffer Estates has lodged a planning application for an office and retail complex in Kinning Park, Glasgow.
The developer plans to convert a 1950’s brick built building at 455 Paisley Road, which is currently occupied by law firm Ross Harper, into a contemporary work and retail space.
Subject to planning approval Tesco Express has agreed to lease a 4,445 sq ft unit in the development on a 15 year lease at £12.60 per sq ft. Ross Harper is taking a five year lease on a 5,450 sq ft office on the first floor.
Also available for lease will be a 1,125 sq ft unit, which would make an ideal hot food takeaway, subject to planning.
Jonny Black, Acquisition and Development Manager, Gleniffer Estates said, “We aim to inject new life into what was a rather tired old office building, making it an attractive mixed-use development.
“The fact that we have already signed up two tenants for the site testifies to its excellent location close to the city centre and the main motorway artery of Glasgow.”
If planning is successful, work will start in March 2010 with the retail units ready for trading in the summer. The development will feature six dedicated parking bays.
The letting agent for the development is Culverwell.

Source: Gleniffer Estates
http://www.glenifferestates.com
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:37 pm

thats good news. Its a bit of a dead zone that what with the alkies at one end and the bigots in the pubs in the middle.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Sat May 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Anyone heard anything on this? The work was supposed to start in March and the store to be opened in the summer but there's no sign of anything. I expected the gas main work to delay things but that's been complete for a month or so now.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 pm

delirium wrote:Anyone heard anything on this? The work was supposed to start in March and the store to be opened in the summer but there's no sign of anything. I expected the gas main work to delay things but that's been complete for a month or so now.

Looks like it wont happen delirium... think the reccesion has stalled the takers of these units, the former owners have reopend a furniture shop again that was there for many years previously.

Meanwhile accross the road an application has went for a Greggs.

Reference: 10/02307/DC Community Cnl: Kinning Park
Address: 455 Paisley Road Glasgow G5 8RJ
Proposal: Installation of shopfront.
Date Received: 15.09.2010 Date Valid: 20.09.2010
Applicant
Details:
Greggs The Bakers
Agent Details: 01382 774111
Ward: Govan Representation Expiry Date: 19.10.2010
Type: Full Planning Permission Level: Local Development
Case Officer: Mr I Mason, 0141 287 6019
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 257506 (N) 664603

455 PRW (GSV)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:18 pm

Mori wrote:Looks like it wont happen delirium... think the reccesion has stalled the takers of these units, the former owners have reopend a furniture shop again that was there for many years previously.

Meanwhile accross the road an application has went for a Greggs.

It does seem to be progressing slowly now. The original plan always was for the Tesco plus hot food takeaway (Greggs it seems) and the building being used was always to be 455 - the old Weatherseal place with the corrugated cladding, rather than where Hawkshead furniture used to be (part of which has been opened as a new and slightly tacky furniture shop).
http://www.culverwell.co.uk/docs/glasgow%20-%20455%20paisley%20rd%20nov09.pdf

That building runs back a fair way so I suppose there's plenty space for the Tesco to run back beside the Greggs with a fairly narrow frontage. There have been builders vans in the back off Seaward Street for a couple of months now and workment there every day. The front is all boarded up. When I've managed to get a peek it's still all rubble inside so it looks like they've had a lot of work to do on it. But then it's been empty on the ground floor for over 10 years.

I was hoping for a local Tesco in time for Christmas emergency rations, but I'm not holding my breath.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Mori wrote:Reference: 10/02308/DC Community Cnl: Kinning Park
Address: 455 Paisley Road Glasgow G5 8RJ
Proposal: Display of fascia sign with internally illuminated logo and internally illuminated projecting
sign
Date Received: 15.09.2010 Date Valid: 06.10.2010
Applicant
Details:
Greggs The Bakers
Agent Details: 01382 774111
Ward: Govan Representation Expiry Date: 05.11.2010
Type: Advertisement Consent Level:
Case Officer: Mr I Mason, 0141 287 6019
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 257506 (N) 664603

Yes i seen that Greggs are going next to the proposed Tesco Express unit, the both are needed as the existing local shops adjacent on prw are very highly priced... i for one havent been using them for quite some time because of the extortionate prices they charge. :|
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)