The bells...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The bells...

Postby Osiris » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:40 pm

Hiya,

Does anyone know anything about the chimes of the clock tower on the gallowgate? I've been trying to figure out the frequency and number of chimes and frankly i'm puzzled.

It seems to chime on the quarter-hour (but not always) and the number of chimes doesn't seem to relate to the hour. I actually saw someone going into the tower the other day so i'm guessing that the bells are rung manually.

Any ideas HG?
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:00 pm

The clock mechanism is completely automated dating from only 1993. The disused mechanism of 1963, which replaced one installed in 1816, is still in situ in the tower also. It currently (and this is a guess from what I can gather from photos and drawings) contains three large bells and 2 racks each containing 3 or 4 smaller bells, although originally would have contained a few more (judging by Robert Paul's view from SE c.1760). I'm not sure how often it chimes, I'd imagine it would be quite regular tho.

Incidently the first mention of the Tolbooth (demolished, rebuilt and demolished again) and Steeple is in a deed of 1454 witnessed in the pretorium of Glasgow, although the first mention of a clock is from 1574 when payment was recorded for "the upsettin of a clock".

Hope this helps.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)