The Subway Power House

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Subway Power House

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:48 pm

The Subway Power House, used until 1935 to power the cable hauled Subway.
It's looking a bit grotty now (another apology for my duff photography). The Superintendent's house is on the left.

Yet another great example of Glasgow preserving it's past ::):

The bit with the bush growing out is the tension run, that window is at the far end of this old photo.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:47 am

geez you learn something new every day ::): is that still in the building?think thats just next to scotland st school,buildings are in total disrepair such a shame :?
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:37 pm

That's fascinating actually. I never realised that was the old Subway power house. In my mind it was always just part of James Howden's sprawling works which took up much of the terrain there at one time. This was a firm I used to visit in the 1980's when the shipping agency I worked for did a lot of business with them.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:10 pm

I was glad to see it's still there, from the OS map you can see what a long building it is. And the wee narrow Superintendent's house is just great.

I doubt this is still in there ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:27 pm

OK i'll admit it Im actually an Underground Geek and love the idea of the old cables. I must get my videos onto DVD.

(Bang goes any credibility I had now!)
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:35 pm

Jesus, would you look at the speed o' thon big wheels 8O 8O 8O
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:01 pm

The power involved in tugging a cable around the whole of glasgow must be quite large..... the friction and the drag involved... and the increased drag as a train grabs the cable
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:22 am

Sometimes if the train gripper grabbed the cable incorrectly, it would whip into the air, must have given the passengers on the platform quite a start.
The ingenuity of Victorian builders is amazing, with electric motors & self contained engines everywhere now, it's easy to forget just how good they were at coming up with solutions to problems like this.

It's due to the cable hauling that some stations are built on a hump, to make stopping and starting much smoother.
The 'Gripman' would release the cable while coming into a station, and let the rise bring them almost to a halt before applying the brake. And then to start, he released the brake and let the train coast down the hump for a bit before grabbing the cable again.
Of course they had to be careful to stop the train just over the crest of the hump, or the coasting smooth start wouldn't work.
Last edited by glasgowken on Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:20 am

I believe the cable also stretched over time and had to be replaced periodically. That must have been some job considering it went all the way round the system.......
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:49 am

The new cable was delivered (and the old one taken away) by rail, using the sidings used to deliver coal to the boilers.
Must have been quite an operation to witness first hand.

I was reading that Howden's did take over the buildings in 1940. So it would have been part of their plant when you visited them.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:03 am

so are all underground stations the same distance apart then?
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:57 pm

I'm sure one of the other subway slapheads will correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think they are!

I think the cable used to run on a continuous loop and that the gripper/brake car would have some device to grab the cable and get pulled round (like a bloke on a ski-lift) and to release the mechanism at the station. Meanwhile, the cable would keep on running!

Or a meringue?
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:36 pm

The question is: How much longer would the rope have been on the outer circle compared to the inner? Over to you Math heads :)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:50 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:I think the cable used to run on a continuous loop and that the gripper/brake car would have some device to grab the cable and get pulled round (like a bloke on a ski-lift) and to release the mechanism at the station. Meanwhile, the cable would keep on running!

That's exactly how it worked. You can see one of the gripper devices at the Transport Museum. The driver turned a wheel which gradually gripped the continuously moving cable. Or, if he was so inclined he could operate a lever which fully gripped the cable immediately, although I imagine the effect on his passengers' equilibrium would probably have been quite dramatic.

As for calculating the difference in cable length between inner and outer circle, I don't really think I want to get involved with that. :?
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:24 pm

I'm sure you can read somewhere the exact length in metres of each tunnel.... take the value from the outer and minus the value of the inner....
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)