Whats that coming over the hill is it a monster

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Whats that coming over the hill is it a monster

Postby [Paul Ferrie] » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:29 am

Whats that coming over the hill is it a monster? No it's a windfarm!

Driving down calder st (govanhill)last night as i have many a night before and what do a i see coming over the hill? A windfarm out motherwell way. Where did that come from?

Tried to find some info on the net but with no luck.
[Paul Ferrie]
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scallopboy » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:58 am

Be grateful it's out in Motherwell.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby [Paul Ferrie] » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:11 am

I have no issue's with windfarms. I feel for the peeps that do and ask them to give a better option.

Is there any info on the site?
Is there a visitor's centre etc?
[Paul Ferrie]
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:34 am

Power generation from wind farms creates very few jobs, especially long term ones. Compare that to a power station using coal, oil or gas (or even nuclear power), which employ hundreds if not thousands of workers for each plant, directly and indirectly...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:38 am

I actually like wind farms, i think they look nice. Id rather live under one of them than next to a nuclear power station.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:33 am

My Kitten wrote:I actually like wind farms, i think they look nice. Id rather live under one of them than next to a nuclear power station.

... or pylons :evil:
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:38 am

.. or pylons

::): You still need them...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby [Paul Ferrie] » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:
My Kitten wrote:I actually like wind farms, i think they look nice. Id rather live under one of them than next to a nuclear power station.

... or pylons :evil:

HE he :)
same here
[Paul Ferrie]
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mirad0rable » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:53 pm

[Paul Ferrie] wrote:I have no issue's with windfarms. I feel for the peeps that do and ask them to give a better option.

Is there any info on the site?
Is there a visitor's centre etc?

not a site about it exactly, but very informative, and has an interactive map of all operational windfarms in the UK. http://www.bwea.com/ukwed/map-operational.html

check this out too. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5108666.stm - wind farms n eagles

[My Kitten] wrote:I actually like wind farms, i think they look nice. Id rather live under one of them than next to a nuclear power station.

I worked at one some years ago, and the amount of stringent safety procedure and checks etc was amazing. The daftest thing (IMO) was the 'if there's an accident, take this pill, it'll stop your thyroid soaking the stuff up'. Umm, well if there was an accident, I kinda don't think a pill would have helped me.
mirad0rable
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby [Paul Ferrie] » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:24 pm

I believe it is the Black Law farm i am seeing from the sunnie southside.
Looking forawrd to some nice photo's taking down calder street at sunset. Should make the farm very clear. Dorve down the street today and couldnt' make it out. Thats probebly why i havn't spoted it before now.
[Paul Ferrie]
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Simba » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:56 pm

I think windfarms are great. Never had any issue with them, but what they'd done with the massive offshore windfarms in Copenhagen is brilliant, and really turned me very pro windfarms. Within the last year they've built one out at Farr, near Inverness. The people there complained bitterly about having it built there, yet you can't even SEE it from their village. The only way you see it is briefly on the A9 going north, and if you are going over any of the high back roads in the country. I would rather have fewer jobs created by windfarms than a potential nuclear disaster.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:01 pm

Nuclear is only dangerous if you play around too much with it. Most of France, for example, runs on nuclear power and nobody really worries about it.

Plus the 'nuclear industry' is a description used, the 'windfarm industry' is not...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mirad0rable » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:46 pm

Lots more turbines to come apparently. Found this case study thingamabob, includes a couple of piccies of the windfarm.

http://www.sd-commission.org.uk/communi ... 00089.html

Look forward to seeing those pics [Paul Ferrie].
mirad0rable
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Toby Dammit » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:30 pm

Vladimir wrote:(or even nuclear power), which employ hundreds if not thousands of workers for each plant, directly and indirectly...

And kills thousands of them if something goes wrong, as the citizens of the Glorious Soviet Republic living in Chernobyl discovered. And are still discovering to this day.

I see you're with George W. Bush on this one Vlad. Sod the environment, as long as short term economic interests are addressed. We'll be dead by the time the consequences have to be faced, so who cares?
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 pm

And kills thousands of them if something goes wrong, as the citizens of the Glorious Soviet Republic living in Chernobyl discovered. And are still discovering to this day.

I see you're with George W. Bush on this one Vlad. Sod the environment, as long as short term economic interests are addressed. We'll be dead by the time the consequences have to be faced, so who cares?

I dont care, because it only happens if very, very stupid things are done. And they are not!

The wind farms are short term economics, another excuse to employ next to nobody...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)