Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby viceroy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:44 pm

I've lived in Ibrox for well over 20 years [albeit in one of the nicer bits]. Can't say I've ever felt uneasy in this area except on the odd occasion. I suppose you always feel more secure on your own patch no matter what it looks like to an outsider. In any case I've been walking Glasgow's streets for that many years I've developed a 6th sense as to which individuals, or groups of individuals, it's perhaps better to stay clear of. Even then I've tended to find that appearances are deceiving - often it's the preconceived notions between your own ears that make people seem more threatening than they actually are.

That doesn't mean to say I wouldn't mind living somewhere else. A luxury flat in Hyndland or Pollokshields would do me very nicely. But financial constraints are going to keep me firmly where I am, probably for the rest of my days.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:15 pm

glasgowken wrote:Something i've noticed, the only areas of Glasgow I feel really uneasy in, are Parkhead, & Ibrox.

Im the same, but then again im a Jags fan and i hate the OF ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:27 pm

viceroy wrote:I've lived in Ibrox for well over 20 years [albeit in one of the nicer bits]. Can't say I've ever felt uneasy in this area except on the odd occasion. I suppose you always feel more secure on your own patch no matter what it looks like to an outsider. In any case I've been walking Glasgow's streets for that many years I've developed a 6th sense as to which individuals, or groups of individuals, it's perhaps better to stay clear of. Even then I've tended to find that appearances are deceiving - often it's the preconceived notions between your own ears that make people seem more threatening than they actually are.

That doesn't mean to say I wouldn't mind living somewhere else. A luxury flat in Hyndland or Pollokshields would do me very nicely. But financial constraints are going to keep me firmly where I am, probably for the rest of my days.

I turned left coming out of the Subway station, and walked around the northern & western, edge of the stadium, is that the worst bit ? I don't know the area that well.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:57 pm

I assume then it was Ibrox subway station you came out of Ken, not Cessnock, so you would likely have gone along Woodville St. and Broomloan Road and yes, I would say that is the worst bit. A fair number of creeps and weirdos and assorted neds wandering about there.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:40 pm

Sorry, I meant to say it was Ibrox station I came out of.
Cessnock is a brilliant area, always liked most of the places along Paisley Road West, my sis lives down that way.
It's just the bit between Bellahouston Park & Govan that gives me the heebie jeebies ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:22 pm

It's the top end of Clifford St. where I stay, between Paisley Road West and the Motorway, so that would still be classified as Cessnock. Quite pleasant there, except for the noise from the Motorway [although you do get used to it, I'm not even aware of it anymore].
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:57 pm

Around there scores highly on my vibe meter, plenty of nice old classy tenements. I love what they've done with the Cessnock Subway station entrance, much more sympathetic than other stations.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:43 pm

glasgowken wrote:Sorry, I meant to say it was Ibrox station I came out of.
Cessnock is a brilliant area, always liked most of the places along Paisley Road West, my sis lives down that way.
It's just the bit between Bellahouston Park & Govan that gives me the heebie jeebies ::):

You should try going all the way into Govan mate. That'll
give you the heebie jeebies all right!
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:58 pm

I don't mind Govan Cross, but anything south of that...... 8O

All this avoiding doesn't do much for my macho image :(
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:45 am

glasgowken wrote:I don't mind Govan Cross, but anything south of that...... 8O

Ach what are you all like! I understand what you mean GK, but then again I feel like the eyes are watching me round my way. I've lived/worked in some grotty areas of town and I've felt as safe as I have walking round Milngavie. Walk with confidence and no one will hassle you and as Viceroy said, you soon get a 6th sense of the idiots and know when to walk across the road or suddenly find a shop very interesting.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:05 am

I never get any hassle nowadays, probably because I look bigger & more aggressive than they do ::): but doesn't stop my eyes shifting side to side like i'm at a tennis match :wink:
I'm more worried about my camera getting damaged, than my dashing good looks 8)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:27 pm

glasgowken wrote:I don't mind Govan Cross, but anything south of that...... 8O

Yep, outside Ladbrokes is a fun place most of the time.
:evil:
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby harleysinger » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:53 pm

I would say that most folk in Glasgow are excellent friendly people....and that a minority of them are wankers/nuisance etc.

I was born in the Gorbals in 1959 and moved to Castlemilk in 1964. Lived there for the next 37 years and for the last 7 years I've moved back to the "New Gorbals".
Like most places and especially those of us who have lived on the (Outskirts)schemes like "C/milk" and the "Drum" etc... the majority of people, say 95% are truley friendly decent nice people and like "EVERYWHERE" there is always the 5% who are the worst or troublemakers! I think the thing is that these bad points are always the things that get picked up on by the media and therefore slate the whole area... This really angers me!
I am one of the "nice" people and an example of this is when, back in 1994 (as one of the C/milk History Group members) we had an archeological dig at the old castle ruins, and one of the more popular Glasgow newspapers wanted to get a picture with "sprawling houses in the background"... Why can they not for once just promote the good stuff eh!
In all the years I lived in C/milk I have never felt afraid or had a bad experiance... When trouble hits in "the better areas" you just don't hear abbout it!

There I've had my rant... Phew!
harleysinger... Make Me Smile :-)
AKA Castlemilk History Facebook...
harleysinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby junkcatcher » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:56 pm

Vladimir wrote:
The Clyde waterfront needs pubs

The last thing Scotland needs is pubs ::):

Water front needs ships --- the pubs follow
Andy
junkcatcher
First Stripe
First Stripe

You're most loved and most hated parts of Glasgow

Postby mairead » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:07 am

I have always loved the beautiful Art gallery and Museum building and there are many other fine buildings in Glasgow.
My hate is to see boarded up shops and empty tenenments anywhere in the city. I am also saddened by the disappearance of many great shopping areas like Partick and Maryhill road. The old city centre which was the heart of Glasgow, seems to have disappeared too under a deluge of modern buildings
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)