Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:05 pm

What areas do you love, and which do you hate. Please explain your choices 8)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:15 pm

There are so many choices! My most recent love is the drive in to Glasgow from Dumbarton - Great Western Road with all the trees is just lovely.

I don't like seeing bits that have fallen into disuse and disrepair - there's a particular boarded up shopfront on Argyle Street near Kelvingrove that makes me feel sad when I go past it every day.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacKenzie79 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:17 pm

I love Sauchiehall street but hate st vincent lane.

Argyle street is great but not queen street.

Dowanhill and Hyndland are beautiful areas.

Maryhill is an odd place. It frightens me and so does pollockshield. Calton is also a little mwahahaha. Maybe it is just me???
MacKenzie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Favourite place in Glasgow has to be Partick (Byres Rd), it has a certain cosmopolitan air about it, very rare in the dump that is known as Glasgow!

I hate the Barras, complete and utter crime ridden shit hole, and also brings back bad memories of being dragged around the bloddy dump as a young boy by my mother! :x
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:22 pm

I adore Glasgow Green. It is such a beautiful natural space in the city, but it is not prissy. You don't have the little twee ponds and rose beds that you get in many other parks. And it still has a bit of an edgy atmosphere, not just full of smug parents and kids. It is great to be able to wander along the Clyde, and the view over the towers of the Gorbals on the other side of the river adds to the paradox. Meanwhile, the sprucing up of the People's Palace, including the Doulton Fountain, and the redevelopment of the Templeton building has really set off the North end side of the green. The microbrewery is a fantastic addition.

As a blow-in :oops: there a lot of areas of Glasgow I haven't seen. Clearly the West End isn't the least attractive part of Glasgow, but I don't have any affinity for it, despite the attractiveness of the buildings. I think it is because the atmosphere there is not real Glasgow for me and I find it too removed from other bits of Glasgow, including the city centre. But then in general, I don't understand why suburbia is such a popular place to live. The advantages of living in the city centre or alternatively out in the rural sticks are clear to me, but the suburbs seems to me to have the disadvantages of both but none of the advantages.

Bring on the wrath of the WestEnders :wink:
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:02 pm

Monument wrote: Bring on the wrath of the WestEnders :wink:

No wrath, but I'd have to quibble with suburban if you were applying that term to the West End. 100 years ago, certainly, but these days you're talking Bearsden, Giffnock, etc. The West End is just another urban neighborhood, like Shawlands or Dennistoun but with a few more graces and a lot more pretension.

Personally I loved living in Woodlands and Kelvingrove the most which, at the time, thought were the best of both worlds for combining both City and West End living. I'm a bit further west these days still feel very attached to City Centre life, being only 10 minutes by tube and 20 by bus from town.
Last edited by red_kola on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:17 pm

Don't really have a favourite part of Glasgow - the west end is good and there's always something going on, plus its good for a pub crawl. Oh and Yoker coz it's hame.

Least Fav bit is Gordon Street/Union Street/Hope Street and under the Heilanmans Umbrella - just very depressing, dirty and rundown and full of jakies, bams & neds, not the image Glasgow should be projecting to anyone stepping off a train.

The Chief Bummers in the City Chambers (listening Alex) should do something to clean up this area and do something about getting decent proper shops into all the vacant units in this area - how many fast food joints or 24 hour newsagents can this area support/need.

Take a walk down either side of Union Street if you can - dodge the kebab sauce / stale puke / piss stains and thats all before you tackle the broken paving of at least half a dozen types of varying levels. If that dosent stop you in your tracks the jakies will - rant over.

PS Alex - I've already mentioned this to Mr Purcell - a fine outstanding Yoker man.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:36 pm

The city centre has lots of unpleasant places, but for me one of the worst is the
Trongate (the entire length of it). Cheap, nasty and rundown.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:38 pm

The worst place in Glasgow is the office of Steven Purcell, especially if he is in it. Wanker...

The best place for me is the tenement areas on the south side, the trees and flats. Its how it should be...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:47 pm

Union St - smells of fuel and looks shite now
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:50 pm

yoker brian wrote:
Least Fav bit is Gordon Street/Union Street/Hope Street and under the Heilanmans Umbrella - just very depressing, dirty and rundown and full of jakies, bams & neds, not the image Glasgow should be projecting to anyone stepping off a train.

The Chief Bummers in the City Chambers (listening Alex) should do something to clean up this area and do something about getting decent proper shops into all the vacant units in this area - how many fast food joints or 24 hour newsagents can this area support/need.

Take a walk down either side of Union Street if you can - dodge the kebab sauce / stale puke / piss stains and thats all before you tackle the broken paving of at least half a dozen types of varying levels. If that dosent stop you in your tracks the jakies will - rant over.

Totally agree there, what was the point of putting down the nice paviors if you dont wash em? as for the smell!!!!! Passed the bins at McD's this morning and they were humming.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:20 pm

My favourite part of Glasgow is West Princes Street of Dreams (as Alan Horne labeled it).

I'm also fond of Botanics for a spot of outdoor reading although it won't be the same when you can't listen in on gossip about Jackie Bird by BBC employees on their lunchbreak.

Most of the really terrible parts of Glasgow have been levelled and knocked down. Like Bellrock Street in Cranhill for instance or the 'bottom' scheme of Blackhill and pretty much the whole of Barrowfield.

I agree something has to be done to Union Street before it goes completely down the toilet. It used to be one of the main shopping streets in Glasgow now it's pretty much a bus lane with dereliction on either side.

Start by closing down the Tartan and Bams shop! You know the one that sells ginger wigs and samarui swords!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:32 pm

Monument's comment about Glasgow Green having an "edgy atmosphere" puzzled me a wee bit. I can't see the appeal of that feeling at all :? Can you explain further ?

I think that sometimes people have an almost "romantic" view of edgy (aka dodgy) areas.

No offence meant BTW :wink:

Myself, like many here I do like the westend, especially around Kelvingrove, Hillhead, and the University, although it's has it's fair share of run down dumps.

Hatewise...probably the St Enoch centre, and St Enoch Square itself. I love the wee Subway building, and used to really like the square itself, but the revamp is awful, it's just a hang out for neds, & jakies. I suppose it always was, but at least the bus station, and the bustle of people coming, & going somewhere, gave the place activity, and a less stagnant atmosphere.
as for the St Enoch Centre itself......i've no words. I'd demolish it tomorrow :twisted:
Last edited by glasgowken on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:10 pm

KonstantinL wrote:
I agree something has to be done to Union Street before it goes completely down the toilet. It used to be one of the main shopping streets in Glasgow now it's pretty much a bus lane with dereliction on either side.

Union Street died when HMV & Virgin moved out. It's only purpose now is to sell Quad bikes and the previously mentioned swords and other innocuous shite.

It's a pity though as one of the finest Thomson buildings Egyptian Halls lies empty with no sign on the horizon of future use. Visitors stepping out of Glasgow Central for the first time must cock an eye brow or two at the general tardiness of the place.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:16 pm

I love the Park area - beautiful buildings, views and, of course, the park. I also like Byres Road and most areas around the University, and Great Western Road between Anniesland and Kelvinbridge. I don't know the South side really, but Queens Park is lovely.

I dislike the run-down and neglected areas of Maryhill. (Which is almost all of it) Finnieston is also on my dislike list because of it's neglected state They both have the potential of being so much better.

I've noticed that there are more restaurants and shops opening up in the western end of Argyle Sreet, probably partly because of the redevelopment of the old cinema/Creme de la Creme. It's a pity that it seems always to take new private housing to pull areas up by their bootstraps.

I love the city centre, but dislike the 'red square' - the grass and trees were so much nicer. I agree that the area around Central station is descending into dumpdom.... And I hate all the cheap tat shops that are springing up in Argyle Street and Sauchiehall Street.

Sorry for the rant!
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)