Tenement Life

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tenement Life

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Guacho wrote:
Guacho wrote:Noticed that the tenements at 706 Pollokshaws Road (The block with Heraghty's bar) still have round external stairwells. Hadn't seen these for years- I thought they had all been demolished.
Didn't manage a picture :(

Finally got 'round' to it ::):

704-744 Pollokshaws Rd Glasgow by guachglw, on Flickr

Oooya G!

An ex GF of mine stayed in the top floor of that block. It probably only survived through having been completely gutted and renovated. From memory, it looked like the bed recesses from the old living room and kitchen had been knocked together to form an internal kitchen with no windows.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:20 pm

Hope I haven't brought back any painful memories :oops:
Wondered if these were part of the original build or added later. I recall some round stairwells on Pollokshaws Rd both sides of Eglinton Toll and I've seen pictures of some in Whiteinch.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:09 am

Guacho wrote:Hope I haven't brought back any painful memories :oops:
Wondered if these were part of the original build or added later. I recall some round stairwells on Pollokshaws Rd both sides of Eglinton Toll and I've seen pictures of some in Whiteinch.

Arf! no painful memories Guacho - I was in my early twenties and I only remember the good bits :)

I'm pretty sure the stairwells are original. I just meant that the insides of the flats had been ripped out, re-jigged and renovated.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Would someone selling this type of house be expected to lift carpets or is new owner responsible for this?
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Dot wrote:Would someone selling this type of house be expected to lift carpets or is new owner responsible for this?

Think it would be the same as any other house, Dot. If it's included in the list of fixtures, then I'd expect it to be there when I moved it. Otherwise, it would be down to negotiation as to whether vendor pulled them up, or the buyer.

I could be wrong though...
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dot » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks SRB.

I think there was maybe some confusion in this instance but to cut a long story short carpets were lifted before new owners moved into the property.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Does anyone remember Key Money..... when you were renting a house from a factor you paid this key money.. to me it was a bribe. I remember we moved round the corner to a better room and kitchen and the woman in the house asked for money for leaded glass she was leaving on the bedroom windows and a boxed in cooker.. boxed in with aluminium.. laughable but my mammy paid her for her junk to get the house.....
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 pm

calamity wrote:Does anyone remember Key Money..... ..........

Still quite common in commercial property transactions.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Just a wee point that I'm curious about. As a kid growing up in Govan and indeed up to my early 20's people always talked about "living in a tenement" whether it be a single end or a big 3 room and kitchen with oriel window but do people who live in the same type of building (albeit refurbished etc) nowadays still talk about tenements or has that term given way to flats and apartments. Sorry if it seems a silly posting bit I'd love to know.
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:32 pm

No its still a tenement... but not a slum one.. aye Id think they still say tenement.. I know I do..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:45 pm

You don't really hear people talking about tenements unless they mean the Victorian/ early 20th century type.

The rest are usually just referred to as flats.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks guys for replying to my "tenements" post
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Id say flats are newer build types, but the old late 1800s are all tenements... its described as a multi sub standard dwelling in the urban core.... but you canny call the posh wans up the Parade.. Partick, Dowanhill that...I think there is a big gap between slums and tenements..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:13 pm

calamity wrote:Id say flats are newer build types, but the old late 1800s are all tenements... its described as a multi sub standard dwelling in the urban core.... but you canny call the posh wans up the Parade.. Partick, Dowanhill that...I think there is a big gap between slums and tenements..

I had the chance to view a 'big hoose' in Dowanhill yesterday. Well past its prime but it was clearly spectacular in its day.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:13 am

The Egg Man wrote:
calamity wrote:Id say flats are newer build types, but the old late 1800s are all tenements... its described as a multi sub standard dwelling in the urban core.... but you canny call the posh wans up the Parade.. Partick, Dowanhill that...I think there is a big gap between slums and tenements..

I had the chance to view a 'big hoose' in Dowanhill yesterday. Well past its prime but it was clearly spectacular in its day.

As you say spectacular however a wee bit impractical for general (pauper) use nowadays. :D
My son once shared an attic flat in Dowanside Road. This space would have been used as storage originally ::):
The entrance and other flats in the building were spacious, ornate and very expensive -loads of little (creepy) servants rooms in the basement leading out to the tiny back garden!

Are any properties in Beaumont Gate still houses or are they all turned into flats? They don't look like shared accommodation.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)