Tenement Life

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Mori » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:57 pm

Almost every tenement had an italian chipy and cafe i have great meories of this one which still exists today across the rd from the Lyceum cinema. :)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:04 pm

How I long for some ham, butter and eggs!!! times hvae changed!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

tenement life

Postby mairead » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:07 pm

Tamandee,
Do you remember the old Melrose cafe that was on Maryhill Road near the library and just near Lochburn road end. It was owned by the J'aconelli family. They had another one at Queens Cross. And the old Burgh Halls. I passed there recently and they are in a sad state now. How about the Roxy cinema. Do you remember it or was it pulled down before you lived in Burnhouse St. Gawd but you have set my mind working trying to remember the place as it was when I was a child, 50 plus years ago.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Mairead - The Melrose sold fabulous ice cream. It was a real treat if you got to sit in but mostly I was sent out for wafers and a pokey-hat and had to belt it home before they melted. I didn't realise it was the same family as had Jaconelli's at Queens Cross. The best Knickerbocker Glory, especially if daddy Jaconelli made it - he always put in ratafia biscuits. Yum! There is a thread on here about the Maryhill Burgh Halls showing ambitious refurbishment works. Hope they are ongoing as it is a beautiful building. My father said it had a great floor to dance on. He was a great dancer in his day and up to the end. I loved going to the library. It had such a brilliant feel to it, all dark wood and a wonderful silence as soon as you got inside. My first job was in a library but not that one, unfortunately, in a modern one. I noticed you were asking about the Barracks before they were pulled down. Have a look at the Virtual Mitchell website for photographs and search on here as I'm sure there is a thread on it too. Happy hunting!
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Tenement Life

Postby Mori » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:43 pm

http://www.thetenement.co.uk/
The Tenement Handbook is an essential guide to all those who live in traditional Scottish tenements, as well as owners and tenants who live in jointly owned property whether old or new, purpose built or conversion.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: tenement life

Postby robertpool » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:04 pm

mairead wrote:Tamandee,
Do you remember the old Melrose cafe that was on Maryhill Road near the library and just near Lochburn road end. It was owned by the J'aconelli family. They had another one at Queens Cross. And the old Burgh Halls. I passed there recently and they are in a sad state now. How about the Roxy cinema. Do you remember it or was it pulled down before you lived in Burnhouse St. Gawd but you have set my mind working trying to remember the place as it was when I was a child, 50 plus years ago.

Isn't The Roxy Cinema now the 'Elephant & Bugle' pub?
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:37 pm

I think it was built on the site of the Roxy. I remember the name but not the cinema. It was demolished when I was 7 or 8.

Dee
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Mori wrote:http://www.thetenement.co.uk/
The Tenement Handbook is an essential guide to all those who live in traditional Scottish tenements, as well as owners and tenants who live in jointly owned property whether old or new, purpose built or conversion.

Thanks for that, Mori. I might give this one a try.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Josef wrote:
Mori wrote:http://www.thetenement.co.uk/

Thanks for that, Mori. I might give this one a try.

I'd recommend it Josef. Came in handy for close rammies a few times. ::):
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Chelsea Brick

Postby red_kola » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:05 pm

My Kitten wrote:I'd recommend it Josef. Came in handy for close rammies a few times. ::):

It's not that heavy. A rolled-up newspaper folded in half would make a far better impromptu weapon.

Anyway Josef, let me lend you a copy. Try before you buy...
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 pm

My Kitten wrote:I'd recommend it Josef. Came in handy for close rammies a few times. ::):

Thanks, Kitten. And R_K, too - I'll take you up on that.

Although, given that you live on the 47th floor, MK, , that must have been [i]some[i] rammy. :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:11 pm

Josef wrote:

Thanks, Kitten. And R_K, too - I'll take you up on that.

Although, given that you live on the 47th floor, MK, , that must have been [i]some[i] rammy. :)

hehe, i had some lovely tenemental neighbours in Ibrox and dennistoun. A handy book to have to know where you stand. I always found the fact that holding a book titled as such helped with such disagreements.

I just throw them out my window now!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:50 pm

It's a great book on how tenements are put together (and the ways they tend to fall apart).

The legal bits are out of date since the Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004 but there are free updates on the website http://www.thetenement.co.uk.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Ordered one and it arrived today. Seems pretty interesting so far with some nice detailed diagrams.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Although never brought in a tenement, I have lived in various tenements around the city in the last 25 years. I stayed in one in Wilton Street in the West End. It was enormous. Five of us shared it and we all had our own bedroom!! I then lived in one in Pollokshields. Its kitchen was huge and its living room was as big as a 5-a-side court (Well, that’s how it felt). My favourite was my flat in Shawlands. I ended up factoring the close. Ironically, old factor owned a flat in the close. I ended up sending them the bills!!

Anyway, have a look at this site. I just love looking at these old pictures.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)