Tenement Life

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tenement Life

Postby calamity » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:55 am

Some intricate work on just one old building at Parkhead, if you look at this same tenement from Duke st you can see heads of the oweners family sculpted into it... Image

Found this sign a couple of years ago set into the side of a shop in old tenements next to the Bellgrove Hotel... it s really old and directs to the Annfield Halls.. After enquiring about this place I found that meetings were held there for a Glasgow football team back int eh day..
Image Image

Can just see it in this photom although tenements above gone.

Landressy st tenement that had to be demolished recently.. Image
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: tenement life

Postby the researcher » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:24 pm

mairead wrote:Tamandee,
Do you remember the old Melrose cafe that was on Maryhill Road near the library and just near Lochburn road end. It was owned by the J'aconelli family. They had another one at Queens Cross. And the old Burgh Halls. I passed there recently and they are in a sad state now. How about the Roxy cinema. Do you remember it or was it pulled down before you lived in Burnhouse St. Gawd but you have set my mind working trying to remember the place as it was when I was a child, 50 plus years ago.

according to the scottish cinemas database the roxy cinema on maryhill road closed and was demolished in october 1962
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Bridie wrote:Some more replies to use;
"Look I'm sorry but my partner has just told me he's got some tart pregnant"
or
"What you don't realise is this is a MLDE (any letters will do) property and you shouldn't be even speaking to me"

here a better one say "sorry that person doesnt live here anymore im a new tenant and in the middle of decorating now p*ss off" ::):
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Lived one up in a "single end" in Dick Street off North Woodside Road for a year or so in 1964. So a reply might be "He or she is away to the stair heed lavie". And boy were they dark freezing places at 6.30am on a December morning!! You had to be in early before the neighbours!! Woe betide if anyone had been "on the Guinness " the night before!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)