Tenement Life

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tenement Life

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 pm

"Please note the new arrangements for the uplift of bulk items from flats.

If you previously placed bulk refuse on the pavement at the front of your property to be collected you now need to put it at the rear of the property next to the bin store area. If you previously placed bulk refuse in a lane at the rear or the side of your property you should continue to do this. In both cases, you now need to request an uplift by completing the online form."

More at http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... Bulkitems/
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks for that.

We were given different information from two or three sources.
Trying to clear some stuff for a relative.

We had also been told that if you were disposing of old tv at Dawsholm then you had to produce a utility bill.
Took some paperwork with us but nothing was asked for.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Dawsholm can be fickle at times, as the last time I went there it was jumping and the guy made his way straight over to me and asked me for my Post Code and then went back about his business. Most times I use Sheildhall, as it's straight through the tunnel, feels a lot bigger and much easier to get around.

As for the link to the council's site - how grateful that I am for that - it saved me going through the council's website to search for it, as we have neighbours who toss their crap out but never make contact with the council. So it's helpful to report it but I made sure their name was included as the 'owners'. Lazy B.....ds!....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 pm

BBC

29 July 2012

New code of conduct for Scottish factors introduced

A law which binds Scottish property managers to a new code of conduct will come into effect on Monday.
The legislation means factors will be required to meet certain standards of service or face a "robust" complaints procedure.
They will also have to join a online registration scheme by 1 October.
The requirements are part of the Property Factors (Scotland) Act 2011, a new law passed last year by the Scottish Parliament.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2012/07/6791
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 pm

GCC

Glasgow Factoring Commission

The Leader of Glasgow City Council, Councillor Gordon Matheson, established a Factoring Commission in June 2012.

The Commission has been tasked with developing practical recommendations to improve property management in the City. The remit and method of working of the Commission has been agreed to facilitate the identification of property management issues and problems through taking evidence from a variety of stakeholders including owners and property managers, identifying good practice, and publishing draft recommendations for consultation early in 2013.
Membership of the Commission includes a range of organisations and community representatives with an interest in property management, and is chaired by Mrs Jean Charsley (Hillhead Community Council).

Call for Written Evidence

At its first meeting on 27th June 2012, the Commission agreed to put out a general call for evidence on property management issues in the City. This call for evidence is being distributed to stakeholders and is being advertised in the local press.
The Commission is keen that anyone with an interest in property management submits their issues, experiences and suggestions around how property management can be improved in the City.

Call for written evidence
The closing date for written evidence is Monday 3rd September 2012.

Written evidence of no more than four side of A4 can be submitted by email to [email protected]

or sent to:

Factoring Commission

Housing Services

Development and Regeneration Services

Glasgow City Council

231 George Street

Glasgow

G1 1RX
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:36 am

Invitation to Register for a Community Event on Property Management and Factoring

This is an invitation to owners of flats/houses in Glasgow to register for a community and consumer consultation event on property management of factored, non-factored, and self-factored flats/ houses in Glasgow .

The purpose of the event is to identify issues experienced by residents in keeping their homes in good repair, and to identify some positive and practical actions which could support improvements in property management and in factoring in the city.

This consultation event is part of the work programme of Glasgow ’s Factoring Commission. The Leader of Glasgow City Council, Councillor Gordon Matheson, established the independent Factoring Commission in June 2012. The Commission has been tasked with developing practical recommendations to improve property management in the City. The remit and method of working of the Commission has been agreed to facilitate the identification of property management issues and problems through taking evidence from a variety of stakeholders including owners and property managers, identifying good practice, and publishing draft recommendations for consultation early in 2013. Membership of the Commission includes a range of organisations and community representatives with an interest in property management, and is chaired by Mrs Jean Charsley (Hillhead Community Council).

More information on the Commission and the call for written evidence can be found at:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... commission

The consultation event will take place between 5.30pm – 8pm on Tuesday 4th September 2012 in Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall Street , Glasgow G2 3NY . The format of the event will be a short presentation on the work of the Commission followed by round table discussions with each table comprising around 10 residents and facilitated by a member of the Commission.

Spaces at the event will be limited and in the situation where the event is oversubscribed, places will be allocated to get a representative group from across the city, and from different kinds of housing stock.

We anticipate that there will be a high demand for places at this consultation event and therefore, places must be booked through completion of the registration form attached. Please return the registration form by 28th August 2012 and we will confirm your place by 30th August 2012.

Registration forms can be sent to:

Factoring Commission
Glasgow City Council
Housing Services – DRS
231 George Street
Glasgow G1 1RX
Or returned by email to [email protected]
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dogface » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Any clues on where to find an 88" tenement internal door?

I've rung West Coast Reclamation & will give Glasgow Architectural Salvage a ring in the morning but any other bright ideas much appreciated! :)
dogface
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:57 pm

http://www.woodcraftsupplies.co.uk/

"•Tenement doors up to 88 inches high."
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dogface » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:21 pm

The Egg Man wrote:http://www.woodcraftsupplies.co.uk/

"•Tenement doors up to 88 inches high."

Cheers, bookmarked it - would rather / can only afford a salvaged one though I'm afraid! :oops: ::): You're a star though.
dogface
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 pm

I don't know for sure but I'd have thought the upsurge in 'restoration' would have pushed the cost of salvaged beyond the price of new.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dogface » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:28 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I don't know for sure but I'd have thought the upsurge in 'restoration' would have pushed the cost of salvaged beyond the price of new.

It's still cheaper to get salvaged even then, new's meant to be about £300 as opposed to what should really be £50-100 from a salvage yard. Forgot to say 84" is the biggest standard size so mine are above that. I'm not needing perfect at all, just functional - don't mind stripping the door myself if I really have to - just I've missing doors where there should be some :roll: and seems a shame to box the nice big architrave back in to put in cheapie B&Q numbers which is my other option...

I'll keep an eye out at the side of roads and skips for the time being but if anyone spots an elusive 88" door give me a shout and I'll pay you in whisky! ::):
dogface
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Just an aside and not wishing to scaremonger but are there any requirements re fire protection by internal doors that'd make new a better option than reclaimed?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:48 am

If it was a new build - there would be a requirement for 30 minute 'fire burn' which roughly means that the door should withstand 30 minutes of burning before it becomes consumed and you get to escape.

The general approach is now that external doors (front) within a tenement should have a 30 minute burn time as well as the internal kitchen door. I've approached various companies about replacing some of my doors and nearly all of them will 'add' a piece of wood to the bottom of the new door instead of making one to size. I also have storm doors but my front door would not meet legal requirements of a new build, my kitchen door would also fall under the this flaw.

It is also the recommendation (it may even be a requirement) that fire doors are not painted and that's why many of the new style doors are 'never need to paint' or some kind of hard wood like oak, etc.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am

Oh man! There were three out in Buccleuch Street a month or so ago when they were gutting one of the flats opposite St A's. No idea what happened to them though.

Just thinking, I don't know of any salvage places personally. BUT there's a junk... sorry antiques shop in Ruthven Lane (opposite City Comics) who obviously does a lot of house clearances and stuff. I wonder if you asked him if he would know of a man who does that sort of stuff?
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 pm

If a Factor got quotes for a job in a communal area do residents still have to pay if work isn't up to scratch?
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)