Tenement Life

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tenement Life

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 am

I got as far as the eye-jabbing colour scheme and the 'buy this' and 'book that' adverts.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm sure they're all lovely people, probably.

I'm a bit jealous from all this talk of pally neighbours - the Iberian nightmare up the stairs from me is a racket-generating pain in the neck. I'm almost convinced she wears vintage diving boots around the flat, and her taste in TV programmes is even worse than mine.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:14 pm

I think her cousins live above us! We hear their music, their cat and let me assure you there is no perverse pleasure in this, we hear their lovemaking, her groaning at the top of her voice, the bed banging against the wall and our young kids get woken up. Should we approach them and tell them? We decided against it because it would only serve to boost his ego.
The same neighbours do nothing in the close or garden but use it when it’s cut and tidied. Their bloody cat litter is strewn around the bin area and the bugger walks past it day and daily, not been the first time I’ve swept it up and placed it at his front door, next time it’s going through his letterbox.
The other neighbours are not much better and one in particular is of the view that any repairs in his house should be paid for by all neighbours via the bloody ‘Factor’ and don’t get me started on them! When the economy improves, it’s time to get shot of this place and go to a back and front door!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:13 pm

I don't know how along the problems noted above have been going but if it's longer than a couple of weeks it's probably too late to mention it and too late to expect any possibility of change.

All too often we end up in the circumstances, in employment, in relationships or with the neighbours we're prepared to put up with until the time comes when we can't tolerate it any longer and something explodes.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I got as far as the eye-jabbing colour scheme and the 'buy this' and 'book that' adverts.

Yes I see what you mean 8O however some of the threads are quite .......intriguing Image
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Bridie wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:I got as far as the eye-jabbing colour scheme and the 'buy this' and 'book that' adverts.

Yes I see what you mean 8O however some of the threads are quite .......intriguing Image

Quite possibly but there's a reason for the saying 'you don't get a second chance to make a first impression'.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Last time I lived in a tenement -top flat - I ended up next door to the worst one up the close.
She frequently left her rubbish outside the middle of the landing for days and once when she went on holiday.
I could have put up with her love-life domestics on the landing if only she had thrown the bags at one of her "lovers" as they fled down the stairs. :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:59 pm

DSX

I don't live in Glasgow but can you not report them for the noise level of the music if nothing else?
I suppose it's a difficult situation and you may think it might make things worse.

http://tiny.cc/krxqbw
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 pm

We've done all sorts of things but he would get a kick out of this and we just wouldn't give him the satisfaction. If he was chocolate he would eat himself and as my wife says, "He's an ugly c**t, dirty and disgusting." And of course the reality is, he is 'above us' and so could make life worse with his music, which we got a 'prevention order' put on some years ago.

Tenement life, when you listened to the Molly Weir's and Lavinia Derwent who would tell stories of wonderful times growing up in these blocks, but society was different then (surely)?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote: ..............

Tenement life, when you listened to the Molly Weir's and Lavinia Derwent who would tell stories of wonderful times growing up in these blocks, but society was different then (surely)?

I doubt it. Then, as now, there's little bunce in telling the truth. Nobody wants to be reminded how crap life was in the past.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:26 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:We've done all sorts of things but he would get a kick out of this and we just wouldn't give him the satisfaction. If he was chocolate he would eat himself and as my wife says, "He's an ugly c**t, dirty and disgusting." And of course the reality is, he is 'above us' and so could make life worse with his music, which we got a 'prevention order' put on some years ago.

Maybe it's about courage. If the problem is a cat, maybe the cat needs to disappear. If it's about sexual noise maybe it needs to be recorded and replayed at top volume when his parents or a new girlfriend come to visit.

You'll know where your advantages lie, you just have to be prepared to use them.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Believe me it's not a courage issue, challenged the shite many times but that's the problem - he just goes back up and does it again and again and again...
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:54 am

Factors and Tenement life, that's a whole new thread!
I've never lived in a close in my early married life, where the factor wasn't a problem, wouldn't do repairs and even when they did, charged over the top prices for the slightest thing.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:48 am

They self factor in Edinburgh and Govanhill Housing Association has taken over the factoring of a number of private flats. Price might be similar but there's a "democratic" structure.

People did not have the equipment to make a lot of noise and trams outside and a lack of double glazing meant people were used to a more noisy environment.

And then there's this.

and you realise how the Stazi worked
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Slice of tenemental life, from last years men should weep play by the National Theatre of Scotland.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)