Tenement Life

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tenement Life

Postby Bridie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:.....People did not have the equipment to make a lot of noise and trams outside and a lack of double glazing meant people were used to a more noisy environment..........

True! but you would never have seen rubbish left out on the landing. That was a no no!! The odd scruffy cat or dog sitting on the mat maybe but never last weeks rubbish :evil:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:43 am

What do you think of the idea that tenement flat owners are actually co-owners of an asset whose total value is best stated as £x million * ?

And if they (we) could think of it in this way we'd find it much easier to have a sensible business-type relationship with the other owners, to make decisions about maintaining/enhancing the value of our collective asset, as though we were directors of a company with a similar total value? (Even if we aren't ever likely to be Best Friends.)

* Even if x is a fraction, it's mostly going to be a pretty large fraction.

(I like the theory but it doesn't help me feel any more charitable about them upstairs who continually combine clog dancing with furniture moving.)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 am

i can only imagine how intolerable it must be in a tenement flat these days if an upstairs neighbour has laminate flooring.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Sunflower wrote:What do you think of the idea that tenement flat owners are actually co-owners of an asset whose total value is best stated as £x million * ?

And if they (we) could think of it in this way we'd find it much easier to have a sensible business-type relationship with the other owners, to make decisions about maintaining/enhancing the value of our collective asset, as though we were directors of a company with a similar total value? (Even if we aren't ever likely to be Best Friends.)

* Even if x is a fraction, it's mostly going to be a pretty large fraction.

(I like the theory but it doesn't help me feel any more charitable about them upstairs who continually combine clog dancing with furniture moving.)

You'd think so, wouldn't you. It all comes down to differing perceptions about the nature of the 'asset'.

For some it's just that, an asset the value of which is to be maximised whilst any associated costs must be minimised in order to derive greatest profit.

For others, it's their home.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 am

You mean thinking of it as an asset would be a bad thing?

I was thinking rather the opposite - thinking of it as an asset (not just a cost centre) might help all the owners get together to make sensible decisions about repairs/maintenance so that everyone's homes carry on being secure and comfortable. After all, eventually if there's no money spent on the building there's going to be no 'profit' and maybe no building.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:00 am

No, but maybe thinking of it as just an asset is.

If the sole purpose of ownership is short term profit you can see why an owner think that way might baulk at coughing up one-eigth or so of a six figure bill for a roof replacement which will last another 30 or 40 years.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:26 am

Of course, in a sane world a flat in a building with a new roof would sell for more than a flat in the same building needing a new roof - to the tune of that flat's share of the cost of the roof....
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hamski » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm

hambone wrote:maybe the rose tinted glasses were on when reminicing of the the tenement memories of my youth ,my ma & da probably had the same issues you point out ,but I was a wean ,no rent or rates to worry about ,no doubt my parents had a hard time bringing up my 4 brothers and me in a 2 room & kitchen with outside lav ,but we all knew our neighbours ,could leave your door unlocked etc etc ,but as a wean growing up great times ,,,would I swap it for what Ive got now ????? would I f....k ,happy days :P

:D Good yin
Hamski
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Jockissimo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:17 pm

I thinkn the biggest asset of tennement life was stikin yer heid oot the back windae and listening oot fer a perty !

then wandering in on yer todd and making new pals . I used to use the 'jimmyn invited me' line .
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:39 am

Some thoughts on tenement life and neighbours in general at http://www.scotsman.com/news/claire-bla ... -1-2208928
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:25 pm

or gettin a piece 'n jam thrown oot the back windae by yer maw when you were hungry.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:We've done all sorts of things but he would get a kick out of this and we just wouldn't give him the satisfaction. If he was chocolate he would eat himself and as my wife says, "He's an ugly c**t, dirty and disgusting." And of course the reality is, he is 'above us' and so could make life worse with his music, which we got a 'prevention order' put on some years ago.

Tenement life, when you listened to the Molly Weir's and Lavinia Derwent who would tell stories of wonderful times growing up in these blocks, but society was different then (surely)?

from programmes ive seen on tv of council teams who deal with antisocial behaviour they can give the householder a warning about loud music then if they return later and the music is still being played loud they have the legal right to enter the premises and remove the offending equipment, also if you got a prevention order put on him he is in breach of this which means legal action by the council can be taken against him
just a suggestion hope it helps might be worth phoning the antisocial team at glasgow city council and discussing it with them
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:39 pm

the researcher wrote:
Delmont St Xavier wrote:We've done all sorts of things but he would get a kick out of this and we just wouldn't give him the satisfaction. If he was chocolate he would eat himself and as my wife says, "He's an ugly c**t, dirty and disgusting." And of course the reality is, he is 'above us' and so could make life worse with his music, which we got a 'prevention order' put on some years ago.

Tenement life, when you listened to the Molly Weir's and Lavinia Derwent who would tell stories of wonderful times growing up in these blocks, but society was different then (surely)?

from programmes ive seen on tv of council teams who deal with antisocial behaviour they can give the householder a warning about loud music then if they return later and the music is still being played loud they have the legal right to enter the premises and remove the offending equipment, also if you got a prevention order put on him he is in breach of this which means legal action by the council can be taken against him
just a suggestion hope it helps might be worth phoning the antisocial team at glasgow city council and discussing it with them

Dexter St. Clair wrote:They self factor in Edinburgh and Govanhill Housing Association has taken over the factoring of a number of private flats. Price might be similar but there's a "democratic" structure.

People did not have the equipment to make a lot of noise and trams outside and a lack of double glazing meant people were used to a more noisy environment.

And then there's this.

and you realise how the Stazi worked
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Do you have to put some sort of sound proofing underneath laminate flooring if you live in a tenement?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Mori wrote:or gettin a piece 'n jam thrown oot the back windae by yer maw when you were hungry.

Let's not forget to credit the author, Adam McNaughtan, a true master wordsmith.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)