Smoking

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Smoking

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:54 am

Item 4 (3 Pages)

20th January 2009

Tobacco Enforcement

Purpose of Report:
To inform the Committee of the work undertaken by, the recently appointed, Tobacco Control
Officers.

Recommendation:
Committee is asked to note the report and its contents and consider the activities of this
recently-introduced Team to the enforcement side of Land & Environmental Services’
Environmental Health & Trading Standards Division

Introduction
1.1 On 1 October 2007, the Scottish Executive raised the age at which tobacco
products can be legally purchased from 16 years to 18 years. This legislative
change was reinforced by the distribution of relevant training and information
packs to tobacco retailers in Glasgow. In addition, the Scottish Executive
provided funding for each Local Authority to undertake a programme of Test
Purchasing to ensure that retailers were complying with the current legislation.

2. Background
2.1 Glasgow City Council’s allocation was £137, 330 per year. By August 2009, 4
Tobacco Control Officers had been appointed for the purpose of identifying,
recruiting, training volunteer Test Purchasers and supporting them when
conducting test purchase operations. This was achieved by a variety of
methods:
• Visits to local schools
• Contacting and visiting youth organisations e.g. Young Scot
• Liaison with Strathclyde Police (Campus and Community Officers)
• Voluntary organisations e.g. Dumbarton Road Corridor Addiction
Forum
• Glasgow City Council’s website
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vanus » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:13 am

I believe in live and let live,and Im pretty tolerant about most things.On Friday I was waiting for an xray in the western infirmary when two guys and a female sat alongside me and almost immediately I was overwhelmed by the smell of stale smoke emanating from them.I dont know if they were aware of it but it was so bad I had to move.
If thats what the smoke was doing for their outer selves I hate to think of the interior damage.
I thought for a minute of a Bob Dylan line,"I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes,you`d know what a drag it is to be you."
Vanus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:11 pm

I - and my wife - stopped on 7 Sept. 06, never a fag since. I consider myself the same as an alchholic that if I ever have a fag I'll be hooked again.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Icecube wrote:I - and my wife - stopped on 7 Sept. 06, never a fag since. I consider myself the same as an alchholic that if I ever have a fag I'll be hooked again.

8th Jan 2006 is my stop date and I must not go near them, I have been sooooooo sorely tempted but just one and it's all ruined and been a waste of time. My health has suffered as a consequence but I daresay if I hadn't stopped then it would have been worse. I happen to have an unbreakable link with stopping smoking in Glasgow.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:25 am

Dave wrote:
Icecube wrote:I - and my wife - stopped on 7 Sept. 06, never a fag since. I consider myself the same as an alchholic that if I ever have a fag I'll be hooked again.

8th Jan 2006 is my stop date and I must not go near them, I have been sooooooo sorely tempted but just one and it's all ruined and been a waste of time. My health has suffered as a consequence but I daresay if I hadn't stopped then it would have been worse. I happen to have an unbreakable link with stopping smoking in Glasgow.

July 10th at 11.37 am 2,004. I've had a very occasional drag at someone's fag when I've been drunk. I still get pretty strong cravings, but unless the doctors tell me I'm dyeing, i'll stay off.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tommytank » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 am

Thats me nearly 3 weeks off. Smoked 10 a day (give or take) for 3 years, and decided enough was enough. Could notice myself wheezing walking up stairs and during strenuous activities. Have felt a few pangs for a smoke but have done pretty good to stay off them so far... :)
Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Scotland.gov.UK

End of the road for tobacco displays

27/01/2010

Moves to make smoking less attractive to children were today approved by the Scottish Parliament.
MSPs voted to approve the Tobacco and Primary Medical Services (Scotland) Bill which will bring an end to the display of cigarettes and tobacco products in shops as well as banning sales from vending machines.
The bill also makes it a legal requirement that anyone running a GP practice must have a direct involvement in patient care.
Other changes included in the bill are:

A registration scheme for tobacco retailers
    Fixed penalty notices for retailers who sell cigarettes to under 18s
    Making it an offence to buy cigarettes for an under 18 and for under 18s to buy cigarettes
    Banning orders to prevent retailers selling cigarettes if they continually flout the law

Public Health Minister Shona Robison said:

"It's vital that we reduce smoking rates in Scotland if we are to turn around our country's appalling health record.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)