Windows Live Maps

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gap74 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:01 pm

No Forge Retail Park either in the western end of the site, the Townhead church spire still has a church attached to it, and perhaps the most dramatic difference I've seen in an aerial before and after, Tesco at St Rollox is a giant train shed still, with Lidl next door still a patch of green.

Great resource, now if only our forefathers had invented high altitude photography like this, we could have had a great aerial photo history that would have kept us all going for months....!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:22 am

Came across an interesting anomaly in Google's mapping this morning, a new bridge on Loch Lomond, connecting Inchmurrin island to the mainland:

New 'bridge' link

If you flip the view from 'Map' to 'Satellite' you'll see that there's a nearby contrail from an overflying jet, just to the south of the new 'bridge'.

My guess would be that the pic processing software has picked up on this, and it's been interpreted as a road linking the two segments on the mainland and the island, and has 'corrected' its position and inserted it between the two.

While the Mk I eyeball may be slower, it may be more reliable for some jobs :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tommytank » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:03 am

vinny wrote:The west portal to the merkland st tunnel can be seen and the crow rd retail park hasn't been built

i am now cross eyed and slightly unnerved by the fact that when i close my eyes i still see an overhead view of partick. suffice to say after 30 mins of staring i couldnt find it. Any directions? :?
Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Google Earth has a Rival

Postby crusty_bint » Fri May 02, 2008 1:34 pm

http://maps.live.com/ has been updated with the Birdseye view of Glasgow

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri May 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Neat! Works for Edinburgh too, for apostates like me. I notice Microsod's maps have mysteriously begun working on Safari again...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Fri May 02, 2008 6:15 pm

8O I'm flabbergasted with that bird's eye view thingy, i'm in love :D You can even see it from different angles, incredible.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri May 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Haha, look at this image from the Gt Western Road retail park ::): It's right under the approach to Glasgow Airport.

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri May 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Haah! Aw man, that's a cracker ::): The pilot was in a real hurry for some rawlplugs I guess, cos that's one dodgy bit of parking.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Bird's Eye View on Live Maps

Postby Rossco » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi Folks

You might have spotted this before, but Microsoft's http://local.live.co.uk now has Bird's Eye Views over most of Glasgow... Just make sure you are zoomed in enough over Glasgow and you should see the option for Bird's Eye become available.

Enjoy!

Ross
Rossco
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Bird's Eye View on Live Maps

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:30 pm

Good stuff. These images are from just about a year ago going by work in progress in the south side.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rossco » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:40 pm

Yeah, I 'm right beside the nearly finished Victoria Hospital Extension and they've only just started building in the Bird's Eye View...
Rossco
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby katimac » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks.. great link! It's much clearer than than Google Maps and also seems to be much more up to date :D
katimac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:20 am

As much as I like Google Earth it is so out of date. Is the Fort even on it yet?
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alzaman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:35 am

Peetabix wrote:As much as I like Google Earth it is so out of date. Is the Fort even on it yet?

I've started using MSN Live Earth as opposed to Google Maps for that very reason. Plus the features and quality are far better, including the Birds Eye view.

The Multimap link is different to the one i use: http://maps.live.com/ .. you may need to download the 3D plugin which makes it much better, and you can zoom in a lot more.

I never thought i'd ever say that about any Micro$oft product ::):
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:02 am

Peetabix wrote:As much as I like Google Earth it is so out of date. Is the Fort even on it yet?

The squinty bridge isn't on Google Maps. Not only is it on Microsoft Live Earth, on map mode they've actually named it "Squinty Bridge". ::):

Clyde Arc my arse.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)