WWII "decoy city" near Torrance

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: WWII "decoy city" near Torrance

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:41 pm

I was out for a walk this weekend with the brother-in-law guided by the fantastic new "Archeology Around Glasgow" book recently published by Glasgow Museums.

We started off at the Starfish decoy control bunker - it is near Torrance but closer to Milngavie.

Some of the photos are really badly shakey , but I think they are atmospheric .

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:44 pm

:oops: Correction - the bunker controlled the decoy city - you don't want to be decoying bombs onto your own bunker do you? The bunker is near Milngavie and directs enemy bombers to the decoy on Blairskaith Muir.

Professional stuff here http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/pls/portal/newcanmore.newcandig_details_gis?inumlink=232040
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:52 pm

I continue to live & learn! :wink:

Many years ago I chatted with an old Lennoxtown worthy (sadly no longer with us) who told me about this "village". The part that sticks out in my mind was he said it was built half scale to confuse the German pilots as to how high they were and make them think they were over parts of Glasgow. He also mentioned there were fires lit at night to draw attention to the area - can't say I'd be keen to being one of the fire lighters so the Germans could drop bombs on me!

Now I can't prove if this is fact or fiction, but it always seemed to make sense to me if the "village" was on high ground, but was supposed to be a part of Glasgow which would be lower down.
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)