WWII "decoy city" near Torrance

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:08 pm

Image Image Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aliferste » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:27 pm

On my travels fishing in the countryside.....Blanefield or the River Endrick, sometimes I would come up to these big holes in th eground next to the river, I used to wonder what they were until a farmer told me that if the German planes missed Glasgow or cLydebank they would fly around until they found a river (any river) and drop a bomb on it hoping it was the Clyde.......and of course the big holes are the result.

Not sure if this is accurate !
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Nice to see you back Apollo long holiday?

Fossil :D
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:39 am

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll pass it on.

Guess there must be a few more places like this that don't feature any detail on the 'big' lists. Pity, the info will be forgotten in time.

The farmer's story wouldn't be far off, but they wouldn't have had the fuel to fly around, and would just have jettisoned their bomb load at the first opportunity, or wouldn't have got back home with the weight.

Thanks for the Welcome Back. Not a nice holiday though, I've become the subject of 3 internet bullies and their vendetta since they decided that misbehaving in a forum I modded (and being banned by the owner, not me) is reason for them to be abusive whenever they find me. Got so bad, the owner closed the forum too, which is a shame. Again, neds win, decent folk lose, and they have the cheek to send emails calling me scum.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby conn75 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Aw, shame...
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:00 pm

It is great to see that this single topic has seen the return of many established members of HG but who may not have posted for a time.

Glad to see the power of some topics. As a relatively new member it seams inappropriate for me to welcome them back.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:55 pm

For the record, conn75 runs a forum where the membership are allowed, even encouraged, to post defamatory/insulting messages about me, although I have never done the same to them. As you see, he took no time in following me here and posting an unnecessary comment.

As Admin, he placed my name in the Banned/Censored word list of his forum, so any mention of me is replaced by a string indicating that my name is considered an obscenity.

In reply to a request to him as Admin asking for an explanation as to why he is promoting this abuse, no reason was returned, and he then proceeded to ban me from even joining the forum (and moving the threads into a Members Only area) to ensure I could not see the insults being posted.

Although the terms and conditions for joining his forum do not permit abusive posting, he also declined my request to remove the posts concerned.

My apologies to HG for attracting this following, however I will not post any responses, nor be driven out of this forum by his attention.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:25 pm

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you have experienced Apollo.

I may not always agree with your views but I respect your right ti express them.

WELCOME BACK TO HG.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby conn75 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:58 am

For the record I run a forum that allows free speech. Something you did not.

And a typically one-sided view of things Apollo. You were more than welcome to come in and give your side, but you chose to sign up under another name just to see what people were saying which you then moaned about everywhere else you could. Have you ever thought why so many people don't like you?
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:30 am

What's this got to do with WWII decoy sites?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:34 am

Socceroo wrote:What's this got to do with WWII decoy sites?

Yeah exactly! take the handbagging elsewhere chaps
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lanlad » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:46 am

I was always under the impression that the Germans bombed the Clyde area quite a number of times, but on doing a bit of surfing, found that they only bombed on two nights during the war, albiet really heavy.
Was there any other areas they bombed in the West Coast area, ie steelworks etc?
Lanlad
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Socceroo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:16 am

There were more than two nights of raids Lanlad. There was bombing raids from 1940 through to March 1943, albeit sporadic on some occasions.

Some of the most devastating raids were the sporadic ones - where lone raiders or small groups of Bombers dropped Parachute Mines in one area resulting in multiple fatalaties in the one location.

See Bombs over Glasgow in WWII also
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lanlad » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:24 am

Thanks socceroo that was very interesting reading. I never knew that they actually hit Glasgow.
Lanlad
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby pamd » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:26 am

I went to Boclair Academy in Bearsden, not a million miles from Torrance (in fact the school covered Torrance in their catchment area). At the bottom of Inveroran Drive (schools' street) there is a small copse that has a crater (actually, there may be more than 1) in the middle of it. We were told they were the legacy of the war.

I wonder if local.live can pick it up?
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)