Anyone had a peek at the refurbished Kelvingrove yet ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Vladimir » Thu May 18, 2006 12:15 pm

Im hoping to see the Spitfire...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon May 22, 2006 10:28 pm

Passed on the bus the other day - hope they have ordered a new "R" and "M"!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue May 23, 2006 10:00 am

I have had a couple of invitations from the catering company to come and try out the restaurant, as a training exercise for them, before they open 8O .
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue May 23, 2006 11:02 am

Monument wrote:I have had a couple of invitations from the catering company to come and try out the restaurant, as a training exercise for them, before they open 8O .

I got this too. Plus two invitations to the Kelvingrove Refurbishment Appeal Civic Dinner. Unfortunatley I will not be able to attend as I will be awat on holiday at that time.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue May 23, 2006 7:30 pm

quote]I got this too. Plus two invitations to the Kelvingrove Refurbishment Appeal Civic Dinner. Unfortunatley I will not be able to attend as I will be awat on holiday at that time.[/quote]

Alex could you not get permission to put them up for auction on HG with the money going to the refubishment fund. :?:
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed May 24, 2006 7:20 pm

Alex Glass wrote:I got this too. Plus two invitations to the Kelvingrove Refurbishment Appeal Civic Dinner. Unfortunatley I will not be able to attend as I will be awat on holiday at that time.

hazy wrote:Alex could you not get permission to put them up for auction on HG with the money going to the refubishment fund. :?:

If you don't ask you don't get. Let me ask to see if this is possible.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu May 25, 2006 10:49 am

Ask my good man ask
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu May 25, 2006 10:28 pm

I know somebdy thats got regular peeks/info on what it's gony be like and in her words "if you aren't a kid or a spastic you are going to be heavily patronised".
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu May 25, 2006 11:25 pm

Will the bees still be there?
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu May 25, 2006 11:31 pm

My Kitten wrote:Will the bees still be there?

I have read that they will play a major part in the the refurbished museum, part of the musical unveiling will be the "Flight of the Bumblebee" in their honour :wink:
(This is a true thing)
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Fri May 26, 2006 7:04 am

I wonder if they will get rid of the dead animals? I hated going through that hall with all those glassy eyes staring. 8O
Surely a museum for the 21st century will eschew the Victorian fascination of killing, mounting and putting on display.
I was always a little uncomfortable in the Egyptian gallery as well as the Stone Age gallery. Archaeology is fascinating but, in some ways, just a little like graverobbing. But then to put your finds on display is ghoulish.
Sorry :oops: there I go again!
More art, please. I'm fed up making the trip down and my favourite picture is in the basement because they've seen fit to put another in its place.
Is there a date for the re-opening?
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Merlot » Fri May 26, 2006 7:08 am

"I wonder if they will get rid of the dead animals? I hated going through that hall with all those glassy eyes staring.
Surely a museum for the 21st century will eschew the Victorian fascination of killing, mounting and putting on display.
I was always a little uncomfortable in the Egyptian gallery as well as the Stone Age gallery. Archaeology is fascinating but, in some ways, just a little like graverobbing. But then to put your finds on display is ghoulish"

I love all those displays, hope they're still there.

Merlot
Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby macca734 » Fri May 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Merlot wrote:"I wonder if they will get rid of the dead animals? I hated going through that hall with all those glassy eyes staring.
I was always a little uncomfortable in the Egyptian gallery as well as the Stone Age gallery. Archaeology is fascinating but, in some ways, just a little like graverobbing. But then to put your finds on display is ghoulish"

I love all those displays, hope they're still there.

Merlot

It should be fun sitting on the polished granite when the ambient temperature is about 105 in the shade and they've been sitting in the sun for the whole day. I see plenty of scorched bums and exclamations of "Ooooh ya basturt!!!!"

Looks pretty good but I hope they dont turn it into a nursery. Art, whether ancient or modern should have something grand and formal about it. I'm sure the artists who did the paintings and installations never envisaged a five year old running up to it and going;
"Look mammy, jobbies, MAMMY, JOBBIES!!!"
Last edited by macca734 on Fri May 26, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Sat May 27, 2006 11:53 pm

Looks pretty good but I hope they dont turn it into a nursery.

Fae whit av heard your fears've been realised.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed May 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)