Films set in Glasgow, without squalor, neds, or gangsters ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Films set in Glasgow, without squalor, neds, or gangster

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm hearing a wee rumour that scenes from Fast and Furious #6 is to be filmed on the Broomielaw at some point this year. 8)

Creative Scotland
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pointyears » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:36 pm

1. Rumour that Glasgow is doubling for Dublin for a sequence in 'The Hangover 3' (would've been the other way around years ago but that's world economics for ye!)

2. I watched 'The Dark Knight Rises' and am recognising the opening shot (hijack of a private plane above hilly grassland) as maybe the campsies - is that the Robroyston connection? Or can anyone else spot any other Glasgow locales in the film?

3. World War Z, after having shot for a loooong time in Glasgow, might be reshooting over much of the Glasgow stuff in Philadelphia (the city Glasgow was doubling for) there may be some Glasgow footage left in, but I haven't had what will be cut/not cut confirmed.

1 and 2 from http://www.aintitcool.com
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Monument » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Dot wrote:I'm just back home today from a break in Glasgow.

Anyone care to tell me what was being filmed in the Kelvin Drive/Botanic Crescent area in the last week or so.
There is a big house and they were filming for a few days off and on just outside it.

They had a girl setting off on a tandem and there was a wee dog too.
I think some of the film was set in the house and have heard that the property is owned by tv producer?

There have been cameras and trucks and thesps in Kelvingrove Park and at the University most of this week. I think they are filming this http://www.godhelpthegirl.com/
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Not a happy ending. Karen Gillan. They were filming in Lawrence Street in Partick Monday this week. Is it "Burnistoun"? they were using the High School playing fields off Anniesland Road as a base this week? Anyone know?
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:27 pm

It won't be Burnistoun because the latest series has been completed and is ready to air next month. The City Retro shop on King Street said on their Facebook page a few days ago that they'd seen Karen Gillan filming, presumably nearby.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks to Mori and Monument for the links.
I think the filming I saw would seem to be 'God help the girl' and glad the mystery is solved.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 am

BBC News 1st August 2012

Glasgow has been chosen for location filming for another Hollywood movie, it has been confirmed.

About 250 people will be involved in shooting scenes at night for "The Fast and the Furious 6" in the city between late August and early September.

None of the lead cast members - which include Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson and Paul Walker - will be present.

Several Hollywood movies were shot in Glasgow last year, boosting the city's economy by an estimated £20.15m.

The decision to being The Fast and the Furious 6 to Glasgow was taken by the film's production team following a meeting earlier this year with the city council's Glasgow Film Office.

Residents and businesses in Cadogan Street and Broomielaw, where filming will take place, have already been consulted.

They will be notified of filming and production details nearer the time.

Glasgow City Council leader Gordon Matheson said: "It is great to see the city attracting another movie of this size so soon after our marvellous success in 2011.

"We look forward to seeing the Fast 6 shoots here and giving them a great Glasgow welcome."

Glasgow Film Office has calculated that Hollywood films and other productions boosted the city's economy by £20.15m.

Figures released in January showed the biggest contributor was the Brad Pitt zombie film World War Z, which brought £3.33m during its 17 days on location last summer.

Cloud Atlas, starring Halle Berry; Under The Skin, starring Scarlett Johansson; and TV production Young James generated almost £5.5m.

A further £2.2m was spent by low impact productions which had one or two-day shoots in the city.

Other films shot in the city in the past two years include Peter Mullan's Neds; Perfect Sense, starring Ewan McGregor and Eva Green; The Decoy Bride with David Tennant; and Irvine Welsh book Filth, starring James McAvoy.

Glasgow Film Office said it received 311 location enquiries in 2011, which resulted in 225 productions being shot in the city.

It said 46% of these were TV projects, 7% films, 14% commercials, 6% short films and 26% miscellaneous projects, ranging from corporate productions to stills shoots.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-19077463
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:32 pm

The "Wee Man" a film about Paul Ferris has been filmed mainly in London due to "technical" difficulties in using Glasgow locations.I suspect it may go to DVD rather than have a main stream film release.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Fast and Furious 6 scenes being shot @ the Broomielaw this comming weekend starting 29th August.

All are evening/late night shootings.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pointyears » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:59 am

moonbeam wrote:The "Wee Man" a film about Paul Ferris has been filmed mainly in London due to "technical" difficulties in using Glasgow locations.I suspect it may go to DVD rather than have a main stream film release.

Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 pm

I for one will not cast an eye on this piece of bolloks. Glorifying sheer thuggery, violence and murder sticks in my craw big time. This bit of shit who slashed, robbed and intimidated his way to misconceived stardom will not be get one second of my attention or cash. I urge other other to do the same.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 pm

It really is ineligible for this thread, Morroccomole, and shall be struck from the record forthwith.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 pm

I presume Lp's message is also intended for Moonbeam and Pointyears as the Film is off topic>
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:00 pm

It was mostly intended for them, my dear Dex.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Burke » Tue May 21, 2013 5:19 pm

The 2001 comedy Late Night Shopping was largely set and filmed in Glasgow. It's a pretty underrated movie too.
Burke
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)