Books about Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Books about Glasgow

Postby tobester » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:21 pm

I got

From ebay last year courtesy of a pm from GK, if you get a copy it makes an amazing read, i love the tales of accidents, incidents and letters to the corporation...fave is the letter from a guy complaining about the workers reading their 'penny dreadfuls'

Wouldnt get away with that now ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:25 pm

Dugald wrote:
ibtg wrote:I have put a short list of books about Glasgow on my website, under 'Links - Glasgow Gifts'. There are tons more books, old and new and everyone has their own favourites, depending on if they have a specific interest. I just love any book about Glasgow.... http://www.mycityglasgow.co.uk

I have just visited this site and found it very interesting. I had a look at some of the links and I find myself curious about one of the recommended books, the title of which is:

A Tale of Two Towns: A History of Medieval Glasgow’

The author is Neil Baxter. My interest stems from my recollection of a book, or perhaps just a glorified brochure, the title of which was:

"The Tale of two Cities"

The two cities referred to here were New York and Glasgow.

This was published during the war and was available about the same time as Glasgow was full of American Forces people.
I don't know if the book/ brochure was published for these troops or not. The only thing I recall about it is that it had many good things to say about the Glasgow Corporation transit system.

Thank you for your kind comments, Dugald.

You are correct about the book 'A Tale of Two Cities', I have two copies, one hardback and one paperback. It was written by a Mr (P.J.?) Dollan, who was the Lord Provost in the war years and I believe the book was meant to cement relations between the two cities. Sorry for the vague details, but I am redecorating the house at the moment and all my books are boxed and unavailable to me.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm very surprised to hear you are aware of this book/brochure. I'd guess offhand, that I read it back in 1943. I was not aware that Paddy Dollan was the author, but then it does make sense as he was the Lord Provest at the time ( and Peter Meldrum was a councillor!). I have mentioned it to other people but you are the first person I have come across who had also read it. The one thing I remember in it is the mention of Glasgow having 200 miles of tram-car track... I wonder if this really did appear in the book. Thank you Ibtg, for the information, very interesting.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby theplumber » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:24 pm

Another good read is Handstands In The Dark by Janey Godley.....set in and around The East End of Glasgow in the 70,s and 80's it's both funny and sad. A true story about Janey,her upbringing and marriage into a family of publicans/gangsters...........
theplumber
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:54 pm

theplumber wrote:Another good read is Handstands In The Dark by Janey Godley.....set in and around The East End of Glasgow in the 70,s and 80's it's both funny and sad. A true story about Janey,her upbringing and marriage into a family of publicans/gangsters...........

I didn't enjoy this book at all. I had it shoplifted to order on the basis of a serialisation on the radio (Woman's Hour?) but the book just didn't ring true at all.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:39 pm

glasgowken wrote:Bloodbus now has a book out, it looks to be a great read. It's the stuff from his blog, plus a few extra stories.
Just search for 'Bloodbus' at the usual book places, Amazon, etc.

(Yes I posted this twice)

Keech cover.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:40 pm

Dreadful cover, I complained about it on the Bloodbus forum. Hardly sums up what's inside, looks more like a kids story book :roll:

ibtg wrote:I have put a short list of books about Glasgow on my website, under 'Links - Glasgow Gifts'. There are tons more books, old and new and everyone has their own favourites, depending on if they have a specific interest.

I just love any book about Glasgow....

http://www.mycityglasgow.co.uk

Nice site that, i'll be keeping an eye on it (why isn't my site in the links page ? ::):)

tobester wrote:I got

From ebay last year courtesy of a pm from GK, if you get a copy it makes an amazing read, i love the tales of accidents, incidents and letters to the corporation...fave is the letter from a guy complaining about the workers reading their 'penny dreadfuls'

Wouldnt get away with that now ::):

It's on Ebay again HGers, up on Boxing Day (get it while everyone else is too full up and pissed) I'm not the seller btw.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:14 am

glasgowken wrote:
Nice site that, i'll be keeping an eye on it (why isn't my site in the links page ? )

Thanks, Ken - your site is now on the 'Reference' links.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:12 pm

glasgowken wrote:It's on Ebay again HGers, up on Boxing Day (get it while everyone else is too full up and pissed) I'm not the seller btw.

Cheers Kenny, I've just put a bid in.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:55 pm

ibtg wrote:
glasgowken wrote:
Nice site that, i'll be keeping an eye on it (why isn't my site in the links page ? )

Thanks, Ken - your site is now on the 'Reference' links.

Cheers, i've did the same :)

HollowHorn wrote:
glasgowken wrote:It's on Ebay again HGers, up on Boxing Day (get it while everyone else is too full up and pissed) I'm not the seller btw.

Cheers Kenny, I've just put a bid in.

Good luck :wink:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:27 pm

Got it at the original asking price, thanks again, Kenny. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sjclancy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Just published by Glasgow Archaeological Society and Glasgow Museums

Archaeology around Glasgow 50 remarkable sites to visit. (not sure of price, believe it to be around £10-11)

Available from all Glasgow Museum shops, (though I believe Kelvingrove has already sold its allocation)
or come along to the Glasgow Archaeology Society lectures and get it there!

http://www.glasarchsoc.org.uk

sjclancy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby escapologist » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:36 pm

A great non-fic local history book is about the Britania Panopticon Music Hall in Trongate. I imagine this place would appeal to Hidden Glasgow posters.

The book's on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stan-Laurel-Oth ... 184158617X

I am told that the author is doing an event at Aye Write as well.
escapologist
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby chechechihuahua » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:57 pm

one of my favorites blue above the chimneys -Christine Marion Fraser....................another superb read ,wonderful ,full of childhood memories which you can relate too

a very useful novel i found was the Moira burgess- Glasgow novel with over 400 novels set wholly or substantially in Glasgow listed in the book
chechechihuahua
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby chechechihuahua » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:01 pm

another superb read i recommend is -last exit from Bridgeton--by James McKenna :D
chechechihuahua
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)