Books about Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 pm

AlanM wrote:There's a few interesting books of old photos available for little money at the moment.

Images of Scotland, Central Glasgow: Peter Stewart £3.99

Images of Scotland, Glasgow West: Peter Stewart £4.99

Images of Scotland, North Glasgow: Peter Stewart £3.99

all were in Bookworld on Byres Rd at the weekend (so may be available in other branches too). I picked up the Central and West ones.

Also Alan Millar's Streets of Glasgow is in the shop at the Transport Museum at £9.99 instead of the usual £14.99

Alan they have copies of all three books in the Bookworld in St Enoch's, Sauchiehall Streetand on Gordon Street.

I was in a little book shop in Shawland's Arcade on Saturday. They have the best selection of the old postcard photos for every area. Not any cheaper though still over £7. But well worth a look. I bought a book of old photos but can't remember the name. May have been the other book you mentioned Alan.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Frank Worsdall - The City That Disappeared.

Postby trudger » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Minted Stereo wrote:this has been locked on the forum for some reason.........

From 1981. What a book that is. Was introduced to it by my step-father and only recently managed to get my own copy. Both breathtaking and heartbreaking at the same time. Glasgow has lost some amazing architecture over the years. Get down to your library and try and source a copy. Essential reading for Glaswegians.

I read somewhere that the author died in tragic circumstances. The article didn't really elaborate. Does anybody have any idea what happened to him?

The City that Disappeared is a passionate but very depressing book. Worsdall wrote well about Glasgow with the only downside that the books (especially his gargantuan 'Architecture of Glasgow') weren't very well illustrated. His 'Glasgow Tenement' is good but a little dry, although it would be a must for those with a particular interest in that type of building.

'Lanark' is my favourite book centred around Glasgow. I love its combination of edgy darkness and playfulness, if you get my drift :roll:
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:31 pm

Book my dad was given today by one of his colleagues is worth a look: On Soul & Conscience: the Medical Expert and Crime - 150 years of Forensic Medicine in Glasgow (Crowther, M.A. & White, B.A. Aberdeen University Press, 1988).

Some cracking early forensic photos of dead bodies in Glasgow streets - if you're into that kind of thing, of course.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Books about Glasgow

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:16 am

I'm sure I posted this elsewhere a while back, but it's deleted now :-(
Anyway just thought i'd post the essential list of books on Glasgow Corpy trams, Subway & buses :-) With these you can learn 95% of all you ever wanted to know (or not know) about GCT, and beyond.

The first detailed book on Glasgow's trams. Can usually be found online, or at transport book fairs.

The start of GCT, also details the history of the Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Co. superb read, and great photos. A fairly recent book, but can be very difficult to find.

The "bible" of Glasgow trams. Lists every single Glasgow electric tram, it's changes, and fate. Easy to find, the Transport Museum has a load.

The "Green staff" were the heart of Glasgow's transport. this is a very enjoyable read, written by an ex-tram conductor. Easy to find, again the Transport Museum has a stack of them.

One of my favourites. A wee slim book, but packed with photos, and info, on the very early Glasgow independent bus operators, as well as later stuff. May be difficult to find, but often turns up online.

Published towards the end of GCT, the first truely detailed book on Glasgow Corporation buses. Fairly easy to find, especially on Ebay and transport book fairs.

By the same author as the book above, this is much more than an update and lists the history up to the mid 1980's. Very difficult to find and sorely in need of a reprint.

The poor trolleybuses were never much loved in Glasgow, but their short history is detailed in this book. Fairly easy to find online.

All you need to know about Glasgow's wee toy. Usually difficult to find, look out for it on Ebay.

The PTE was responsible for just about every aspect of local public road & rail transport in Strathclyde. This book is a facinating, and enjoyable read of the many ups & downs. If you are interested more in the political side of Glasgow transport, this is the one to get.
Very difficult to find, again online is your best bet. There was a copy on Ebay recently.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:45 am

Cheers Kenny 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:16 pm

Bloodbus now has a book out, it looks to be a great read. It's the stuff from his blog, plus a few extra stories.
Just search for 'Bloodbus' at the usual book places, Amazon, etc.

(Yes I posted this twice)

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:57 am

About the Book
In this enlightening book, Foreman investigates the origins of many of Glasgow's street names, examining the influences and inspirations for many of the city's most famous thoroughfares, from local association and sentimentality to the influence of royalty, distinguished individuals and historical events.
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:36 pm

New Taggart book out this week:
http://www.pressoffers.co.uk/bsh592

On page 99 from Mr. Hollowhorn:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ ... 1775-1.jpg

Well chuffed. :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:52 pm

Well done - do/did you get a fee ?
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:34 pm

I got a free copy of the book, no-one can say I'm not cheap ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:03 pm

Has anyone seen this book? Glasgow - City Beautiful by John McDermott

I got it from the Works in Braehead last week.

Lots of photos similar to those already posted on here.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:12 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Lots of photos similar to those already posted on here.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:22 pm

HH

Have I missed something?

Is it a case for the :oops:
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:58 pm

I have put a short list of books about Glasgow on my website, under 'Links - Glasgow Gifts'. There are tons more books, old and new and everyone has their own favourites, depending on if they have a specific interest.

I just love any book about Glasgow....

http://www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:16 pm

ibtg wrote:I have put a short list of books about Glasgow on my website, under 'Links - Glasgow Gifts'. There are tons more books, old and new and everyone has their own favourites, depending on if they have a specific interest. I just love any book about Glasgow.... http://www.mycityglasgow.co.uk

I have just visited this site and found it very interesting. I had a look at some of the links and I find myself curious about one of the recommended books, the title of which is:

A Tale of Two Towns: A History of Medieval Glasgow’

The author is Neil Baxter. My interest stems from my recollection of a book, or perhaps just a glorified brochure, the title of which was:

"The Tale of two Cities"

The two cities referred to here were New York and Glasgow.

This was published during the war and was available about the same time as Glasgow was full of American Forces people.
I don't know if the book/ brochure was published for these troops or not. The only thing I recall about it is that it had many good things to say about the Glasgow Corporation transit system.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)