Gangs of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Gangs of Glasgow

Postby mairead » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:35 am

Yes, you are right about that. None of us had much in my young days so we were indeed all 'skint' together. Peer Pressure is certainly among the causes of lack of money which can lead to bad behavior. I think the shortage of money also comes into it when Drugs and Alcohol are involved. Youngsters are always seeking a 'high' these days. They try something for a laugh and enjoy the buzz and before they realise it many are hooked and with disastrous results.
I also think that academically, today's youngsters are under a lot more pressure to succeed than my generation was, but back then of course, jobs were plentiful, not like today where work is harder to find. It's a much more material world nowadays, envy and sheer greed often comes into play.
Some parents are also to blame because where there is no discipline and respect in the home, youngsters have no lead to follow.
I believe there are many reasons and causes for the bad behaviour of some of our kids as no kid is born bad, but having said that, I still believe that real bad offenders are not dealt with severely enough. ASBO's for example, are like a badge of honour these days. Referrals to the children's panel are a joke.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:41 am

Whilst mooching about the Glasgow room in The Mitchell I had a read of some old Evening Times trying to find out about some Glasgow band. Invariably your eye is caught by other articles. This was a report that took up a paragraph from October 1968.

Four men appeared in private at Glasgow Sherrif Court on Monday accused of murdering RM 18 years of age from Drumoyne. The men DG, AML, IA and MM (ages from 21 to 24) were charged that on October 26 in Meiklewood Road near Berryknowes Road and in Tormore Street they assaulted the 18 year old, threw a Glass at him, chased him, punched himto the ground, cut him on the face and hands with a knife or similar instrument and kicked him on the head and body whereby he was so severly injured that he died later the same day in the Souithern General Hospital and 'they did murder him'

I'm sure that could still be printed last week maybe from a different part of Glasgow. No gangster run drug trade then. Alcohol fueled possibly. Was there a hotel or social club near those streets?

When I've got the time I might run down the report of the trial. Anybody remember the murder?

On a different page under the head line "Church campaign to end violence" I read this.

Last Sunday the Most Reverend James Donald Scanlon, Archbishop of Glasgow launched the Catholic Church's youth mission, Meditation 68 which is aimed at curbing Glasgow's gang problem. Through the mission the church hopes to deepen the faith of their younger members and help them to realise more fully their civic responsibilities. It is also hoped the programme of talks, debates, discussions and special services will have an effect on the problems of social justice, housing and drunkeness.

Thank God, as we say that Frankie Vaughan was slightly more realistic in his approach.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:49 pm

I had some antisocial behaviour to deal with earlier. I went to see Strathclyde's finest to ask if they had any CCTV concentrated on the area in question.

"No, so you'll know to give them a skelping next time!" was the reply.

I guess they don't like the paperwork any more than Avon and Somerset.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Celyn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Did you get a recording of the plod saying that so they can't arrest you instead of the neds? :D
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:36 am

Just finished reading this - [url]http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=402544
[/url]
which although a little bit off topic is kind of an eye opener.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:29 pm

'We're born into this life' - the neds who say there is no way out of gang culture

Dec 13 2008 By Annie Brown

THE kids who run in Scotland's gangs are branded for life by the streets where they grow up.
There's no initiation ceremony. The street decides which gang they belong to.
The street, and unspoken rules, dictate who will be their friends and enemies and set the boundaries of the territory they cannot wander beyond.
It's a story that's repeated all over Scotland. In cities it goes by streets, in towns it can be estates and in the countryside it may be village against village.
Gang warfare wreaks havoc with our communities and blights the lives of the innocent families and pensioners who suffer its effects.
Lots of kids grow up in tough areas and don't end up fighting in the streets. But the kids who do are following the same pattern as their fathers and grandfathers.
Govan in Glasgow is a typical example. There have been gangs here for more than 70 years.
Today, more than 10 a re crammed into a three-mile radius. We spoke to one of them, the Crossie Young Team.

Continues @ the Daily Record

:?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby andysmz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:34 pm

I have a recording of a Fyfe Robertson documentary about Glasgow gangs from BBC TV "Tonight" shown on 27 April 1966

Strange to say, the same themes seemed to apply then as now. If there is any demand, I might try and stick it on YouTube and post the link.
andysmz
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:46 am

andysmz wrote:I have a recording of a Fyfe Robertson documentary about Glasgow gangs from BBC TV "Tonight" shown on 27 April 1966

Strange to say, the same themes seemed to apply then as now. If there is any demand, I might try and stick it on YouTube and post the link.

I don't think there's any doubt there'll be demand. If you can make it work, please do.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby andysmz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:06 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
andysmz wrote:I have a recording of a Fyfe Robertson documentary about Glasgow gangs from BBC TV "Tonight" shown on 27 April 1966

I don't think there's any doubt there'll be demand. If you can make it work, please do.

Well I tried, but it seems the good people at Youtube felt it was in breach of their T&Cs - maybe the BBC logo all over it was the problem - but then again there seems to be any amount of "pirated" material on there which doesn't bother them. Any suggestions ?
andysmz
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:26 am

ET

Police in crackdown on city’s 100 gangs

POLICE plan a major crackdown on the estimated 100 gangs operating in Glasgow.
The high-profile campaign will see increased patrols stop and search for knives and other weapons.
Rogue shopkeepers who sell alcohol to under-age youngsters will be hit and campus police will gather intelligence within secondary schools.
The aim is to reduce group-fuelled violence in public areas at peak times such as Friday and Saturday nights.
Forces will also pinpoint gang members on social networking websites to let them know that police are aware of their involvement.
This final phase will also consolidate work carried out in the knives and alcohol phases of the campaign.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Gangs of Glasgow and confiscated goods

Postby Dot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Well I suppose this car is getting put to good use.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 555079.stm
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 20, 2010 9:52 am

ET

Hundreds say farewell to murdered gangster

19 May 2010

Hundreds of people turned out as Glasgow gangster Kevin ‘Gerbil’ Carroll was buried – four months after he was shot in a supermarket car park.
A fleet of luxury cars delivered mourners to Maryhill Cemetery, in the heart of his old stomping ground, for the half-hour service.
The 29-year-old’s body arrived by Mercedes hearse in a black coffin decorated with red and cream roses.
A second hearse followed, containing the masses of floral tributes left for the father-of-two.
“Adios Amigo” read one. “My Man” was another. A can of Red Bull had been created using spray-painted chrysanthemums, with three motorbikes and a car also fashioned from flowers.

Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu May 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Another one safely underground. Result.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu May 20, 2010 6:45 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Another one safely underground. Result.

"The purpose of a horse is to occupy the space that would otherwise be filled by another horse."
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:51 am

HollowHorn wrote:Another one safely underground. Result.

yip and they should have used his old car http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 555079.stm
to follow the hearse to the grave.
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)