Gangs of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby bluepeterno1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:35 pm

I remember years ago the Cranhill mob tried to burn it down ,and the Ruchazie boys got wind of it . The fight was like some kind of war movie ,with one side trying to destroy the bridge and the other side trying to protect it ,all it needed was the tank corps coming out off the moonlight and it could have been an oscar winner. ::):
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:37 pm

Possibly nearest gang to where i grew up was TPX, grew up in broomhill/partick maybe sumbdy can correct me if ahm wrang

::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:50 pm

One day we were on a raft at the canal bridge when he heared that one of our pals was being chased by a gang from Cranhill.

We all picked up the nearest thing we could find and headed for Gartcraig Road. After managing to rescue our pal I turned to watch a stone flying through the air. Stupedly I watched as the stone hit the side of my head near my right eye.

I had to go to hospital and get 4 stiches and an eye patch.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:41 pm

Ye know, I lived in Govan for 25 years and I couldn't tell you the name of a single gang that was ever a part of the Govan in which i lived. Maybe there were no gangs in Govan.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:38 pm

I Alex we used to pick brambles along the side of the canal,but the best bushes were on the cranhill side ,so we used to organise raiding parties ,we would have a couple of guys who were the fastest runners to act as decoys ,they would cross the bridge into cranhill and let the cranhill mob chase them ,then the rest of us would nick across the canal in rafts and snaffle the brambles ,by the time the two decoys got back we had ate most of them
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:06 am

Dugald wrote:Maybe there were no gangs in Govan.

Correct, young Dugald, tis a well known fact that the Govan Team hailed from Linthouse. :P
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:25 am

I lived at St Georges X in the 1960's - 70's and I remember gang names like the Maryhill Fleet, the Shamrock, the Toi, the Cumbie, the Tongs (ya bass!) all being shouted at night when the pubs and snooker halls closed. Me and my brother used to watch from our bedroom window as battles took place right on the X, where the weapons of choice usually were flying kicks, blades of assorted types, an occasional swinging chain, and I even remember seeing a sword on more than one occassion!

Much like bluepeterno1 mentioned, because I had no affiliation to a gang (my Dad was an ex-Regimental Sgt Mjr and would have killed me - but I was too soft anyway) the local gang, the Maryhill Fleet left me alone. Not quite the story for some of my pals who were daft enough to think they could hunt with the foxes and run with the hounds.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:29 pm

bluepeterno1 wrote:I Alex we used to pick brambles along the side of the canal,but the best bushes were on the cranhill side ,so we used to organise raiding parties ,we would have a couple of guys who were the fastest runners to act as decoys ,they would cross the bridge into cranhill and let the cranhill mob chase them ,then the rest of us would nick across the canal in rafts and snaffle the brambles ,by the time the two decoys got back we had ate most of them

Oposite Bankend Street?

There were houses down the bank from the canal there and we use to do the same thing. The brambles there were lushiss.

During a storm one of the large trees on that side of the bank fell on one of the houses just before they were demolished to make way for the motorway that replaced the canal.

This bank was so close to Cranhill you always had to be on your guard when walking along it. We use to watch the barge going along the canal and followed it along the bank. Have to say that some times the Bankend side of the canal was almost as bad a the Cranhill side. The Bankend gang didn't like anyone from outside their street going along the bank.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:24 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
Dugald wrote:Maybe there were no gangs in Govan.

Correct, young Dugald, tis a well known fact that the Govan Team hailed from Linthouse. :P

HollowHorn, I gather from your above one-liner that there is/was a gang in Govan known as the "Govan Team". Whether they came from Govan or Linthouse would of course, make no difference, but then I gather this is the exact point you are making. Either way, I didn't know your gang. The only "Govan Team", or I should say "Govan Teams", I knew, were the Bens and the Ants, and you know they don't belong in the same league as those gangs featured on this thread. Anyway young fellow, my growing impression that you're an inveterate puller-of-legs, leads me to conclude your use of "correct" is something embroidered in irony... ach well, the wee funny yellow face informs me your wit is used in jest
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:42 pm

Dugald wrote:HollowHorn, I gather from your above one-liner that there is/was a gang in Govan known as the "Govan Team". Whether they came from Govan or Linthouse would of course, make no difference, but then I gather this is the exact point you are making. Either way, I didn't know your gang. The only "Govan Team", or I should say "Govan Teams", I knew, were the Bens and the Ants, and you know they don't belong in the same league as those gangs featured on this thread. Anyway young fellow, my growing impression that you're an inveterate puller-of-legs, leads me to conclude your use of "correct" is something embroidered in irony... ach well, the wee funny yellow face informs me your wit is used in jest

::): ::):
More tea vicar
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:46 pm

The Govan Team liked to think they owned the top left hand corner of The Locarno even to the point of debating it with The Shore Patrol who were in attendance to ensure good behaviour from the US servicemen who danced there.

The Govan Team were bigger than some of the other suburban gangs and maitained a presence in the city centre rather than go to the Flamingo or the other top night clubs in Govan.

Maybe they were avoiding a certain Govanite and his sharp as a blade witticisms.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Thats correct Alex Bankend street as you say looked right on to the canal ,suppose thats why it got its name , the houses there were about three stories ,i think with two house on each veranda , we used to watch for the toilet lights to go on as it looked on to the veranda ,we would wait till we heard the pan seat clunking down and then we would blow up through the overflow pipe that came through the wall ,you can imagine the noise that made through the cistern,if the people diddent need a sh*t before that ,they did then. ::):
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Dugald, I find your answer difficult to believe from one aspect - that there were no gangs. I can accept that you may not have seen any - firstly one sees only what one wants, and most of us try to see the best in the area where we live. But also, if you avoided the parks, wasteground etc at night, you would avoid the gangs. In areas of my home town which I know well, i could take you for a walk at 10pm and see no gangs, yet 100metres away, behind schools on the playing fields, in the parks, on the wasteground, in the shopping precinct etc are groups of kids having fights, drinking etc. Yet my Mum and dad, who spoend most evenings at home, are unaware of any gang fights/gatherings in the area, because they are not looking for them. A group of kids would be assumed to be going somewhere, or innocently going about their business, as the police call it.

Most such gangs are teenagers, who choose this way to spend their time. they might be involved in petty crime, but nothing more. they are not the crime 'Gangs' of the past who control an area of the city. But, similar to the above stories, they throw stones, cause hassle for 'strangers', nick kids bikes, pcik fights with neighbouring gangs etc.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:55 pm

I am not a Glasgower myself. I spent my infancy in Johnstone and regard Glasgow as a sort-of Greater Johnstone as a result. We tended to spend out time in art galleries or inventing things, like velcro and the printing press. I haven't decided what Glasgow gang to join yet.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Fossil » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:I am not a Glasgower myself. I spent my infancy in Johnstone and regard Glasgow as a sort-of Greater Johnstone as a result. We tended to spend out time in art galleries or inventing things, like velcro and the printing press. I haven't decided what Glasgow gang to join yet.

I think we all want to join the FMS gang 8) ::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)