Museums to remain open on Mondays

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Incapability is not the same as disability

Postby macca734 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:32 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Baaaaaaaah, Labour, meeeeeeeeeeeh.

I support the donation but am a bit suspicious of it coming from a property developer. The Local Elections arent that far off and no doubt some Councillor has a sweet wee plot of land somewhere he and a number of un-named associates own which they would just love to sell to a developer. No-ones motives are pure; I bet even Mother Teresa liked humping the washing machine when it was on full spin but no-one thought to say anything because she always volunteered to do the laundry.

"The Labour Government has put more people into employment." Thats a bit of non-sequiter. More people than who; the Nazis? The Incans? The Martians? McDonalds?

Why dont we introduce a new program called Work or Starve where out of work people get the opportunity not to eat after a years worth of unsuccessful job hunting. Issue food vouchers rather than cash, clothing vouchers rather than cash, fuel vouchers rather than cash. Stop giving out of work cripples better cars than working tax-paying people can afford (I mean, thats just backward!) Maybe sink the motability money into a huge dial-a-bus scheme.

And finally; if you are a dosser with no life skills why should you be allowed to have children that people you dont know will be required to support. That may sound absolutely abhorrent but until something like that is put in place, I'll keep bitching about having to give nearly a quarter of my wages to gadgies who dont deserve it and wear their unemployed status like a badge of honour.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:44 pm

macca734 wrote:I support the donation but am a bit suspicious of it coming from a property developer. The Local Elections arent that far off and no doubt some Councillor has a sweet wee plot of land somewhere he and a number of un-named associates own which they would just love to sell to a developer.

That, I reckon, sums up this thread.

Complaints about incapacity benefits (which are doled out and managed by Westminster rather than the Council I believe) don't really seem relevant here to me...
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macca734 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:47 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
macca734 wrote:I support the donation but am a bit suspicious of it coming from a property developer. The Local Elections arent that far off and no doubt some Councillor has a sweet wee plot of land somewhere he and a number of un-named associates own which they would just love to sell to a developer.

Complaints about incapacity benefits (which are doled out and managed by Westminster rather than the Council I believe) don't really seem relevant here to me...

My apologies ally doll, I was merely trying to make the point that complete collection of Council Tax would probably negate a rise for a good few years. How does it make sense to give someone benefits then take the Council Tax back off them again. Get everybody working and, apart from a massive jump in productivity and general health, the system would be awash with money.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:56 pm

macca734 wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:

My apologies ally doll, I was merely trying to make the point that complete collection of Council Tax would probably negate a rise for a good few years. How does it make sense to give someone benefits then take the Council Tax back off them again. Get everybody working and, apart from a massive jump in productivity and general health, the system would be awash with money.

It is a daft system, far too complicated too. Not really wanting to be drawn into this argument, but I'm sure there must be some way in which some people currently gaining incapacity benefit could be contributing. I know of a guy who is in a wheelchair and claims a lot, but spends his time attending a variety of different meetings on disability. If he's fit enough to do that, what it makes me wonder if he could perhaps be working in some way.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macca734 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:00 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
macca734 wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:

It is a daft system, far too complicated too. Not really wanting to be drawn into this argument, but I'm sure there must be some way in which some people currently gaining incapacity benefit could be contributing. I know of a guy who is in a wheelchair and claims a lot, but spends his time attending a variety of different meetings on disability. If he's fit enough to do that, what it makes me wonder if he could perhaps be working in some way.

I agree completely. If he was so minded, he could get a computer and do photo editing, graphic design. He could even be an architect if he wanted to. Most professional jobs are done sitting down anyway unless you have to get out on a site or something. Give someone a PC, broadband, a phone and a fax, and they can do just about any white-collar job.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)