London Road/Tobago Street & other sites

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby job78989 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:48 am

Well said Apollo, its not only the kids and the council who have responsibilities, so do the parents and any adults that see such mis deeds!

John
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:08 pm

I wish the back of mine was a park, rather than a gap site/storage yard. It's a bit scabbier now than in this pic, and being used by workmen to store stuff in. :( Anyone know any modern-day park-building philanthropists?

Dalcross St/Kelvinhall Underground
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:13 pm

job78989 wrote:Well said Apollo, its not only the kids and the council who have responsibilities, so do the parents and any adults that see such mis deeds!

John

"Hello, Police"

"Yes, I'd like to report drug taking in the local park next to the local primary school. A guy is actually shooting up as I speak"

"well, whit dae ye want us tae dae aboot it?"

True.

Ah yes, Strathclyde's finest at their best.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:09 pm

Don't know if this qualifies escotregen?

Budhill Park near Shettleston Railway Station.

This demonstrates that not all small parks are neglected by the Council dispite the over generalisation previously expressed.

Here are two further examples of Play areas that have received investment in recent years.

There are many other multi purpose games areas and play parks throughout the city.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:32 pm

Nice shots of Budhill Park, Alex. New to me, I don't know that area at all. In fact, I know very little east of the Forge Shopping Centre.

I know very little
Shuttit it, Fossil.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:39 pm

There is a new park near the Forge at the top of Westmuir Street. I will try and get a pic next week.

Budhill is near Springboig. No doubt some one will correct me about this.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:52 pm

I was at the "Forge" a few months ago, and, to my everlasting shame, as I exited the Centre and approached the "Cross" I enquired of a fat local in a Celtic tap "Where's the Fountain?" "Whit Fowntin?" replied he, "The wan that wis e'wies et Brigtin Cross" spluttered I. "Hahahahahaha" quipped he. It was only when I got home and logged on...... :oops: :oops: :oops:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:01 pm

Don't know if I want to enquire "why the red face".
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi Alex,

The budhill park has obviously been revamped in recent years as was the park in priesthill and the one in Nitshill that you have shown, the play park in houshillwood also had a revamp and yes it is great that this has been done.

However it is just part of the councils neo liberal policy of gentrification. Get some new hooses built and stick in a couple of posh new play/park areas an they will awe think their doing great.

The problem of the need for much higher levels of maintainance is not aleviated by creating new areas, this city is littered with examples of wee parks like this that have failed. Where I live at the moment in Castlemilk, an area that has perhaps been the most sucessful in the city in attracting public funds, from the windows here I can see no less that 5 such areas all in differing states of decay and desolation.

Its the infrastructure of social support that is lacking not just equipment!

John
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:14 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Don't know if I want to enquire "why the red face".

Brigton Cross / Parkhead Cross......Or was I somewhere else entirely? 8O
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:16 pm

John

There has been a lot of work don in many parts of the city and there is lots more to do.

Given time and money there will be an improvement in Glasgow's Parks. We have made a start and the level of investment in Glasgow Green has proven to be a success.

It should be pointed out that the areas where new facilities have been places are not always areas where new houses have been built. Cleeves Road in the picture above is only one such area.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:17 pm

Sorry HH I was thinking of something else :D
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:21 pm

job78989 wrote:This city is littered with examples of wee parks like this that have failed.

John, there was an item on Daytime TV :oops: the other day about a group of people who went around the City of London and "Landscaped" various wee bits of ignored & forgotten toatty wee parks & gardens. Shirley it is not beyond local comunities here to take "Ownership" :oops: of their own areas.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi HH,

Thats brill, just the point I am trying to make, I know that I keep giving Alex Glass a hard time, but he is the guy in the council who can speak up on such matters. However, as I have said in several threads here it not just about the council, we da people also need to take responsibility and engender respect in the wider community.

I would be willing to assist in any group that wanted to start such a project in Glasgow and I am sure that the Parks and Cleansing department would be more than willing to help.

John
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:13 pm

Alex Glass wrote:There is a new park near the Forge at the top of Westmuir Street. I will try and get a pic next week.

Beardmore Park, story featured here http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... sc&start=0

Still working on it, I noted that lighting had been added last time I passed.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)