Tobago Street Police Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tobago Street Police Station

Postby dazza » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:11 pm

I was in the old police station on Tobago St, Bridgeton last night. I believe it closed in 1980, and it is in a rather poor derelict state. Quite amazing inside though. Beautiful cornicing etc. Has anyone else seen inside lately?
dazza
-
-

Postby crazygray23 » Sat May 15, 2004 9:19 pm

how did u get in there ??????

the old govan police station in orkney st is worth a look closed in the 90s but the problem is its protected by security and i believe u need to contact the council to gain access
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat May 15, 2004 9:21 pm

I was thinking that place would be good for a rave / party!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun May 16, 2004 5:53 am

turbozutek wrote:I was thinking that place would be good for a rave / party!

Chris...

We were having a party, and it was all perfectly legit.

I'm not sure who owns it, but we had permission to use it, and the only danger was noise complaints from local residents, which fortunately never happened.
dazza
-
-

Postby martin » Sun May 16, 2004 4:16 pm

crazygray23 wrote:the old govan police station in orkney st is worth a look closed in the 90s but the problem is its protected by security and i believe u need to contact the council to gain access

I know that Sunny Govan Radio used it for a broadcast in the late 90's, before they moved to their current home in Elderpark Workspace. I'm guessing that it's owned by the council, or possibly Scottish Enterprise these days.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sun May 16, 2004 7:34 pm

martin wrote:
crazygray23 wrote:the old govan police station in orkney st is worth a look closed in the 90s but the problem is its protected by security and i believe u need to contact the council to gain access

I know that Sunny Govan Radio used it for a broadcast in the late 90's, before they moved to their current home in Elderpark Workspace. I'm guessing that it's owned by the council, or possibly Scottish Enterprise these days.

was council owned back in 99 i worked in there as a guard early 99 and the place was in a great state of disrepair then probably due to the hammering the place got when the taggart crew used it for filming, twas rumored to be the new site for the glasgow police museum but it never came to fruition.
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:41 pm

Caltonboy wrote:Is'nt it a tragedy that glasgow city council have not kept the place as a museum or visitor's centre of some sort, as it dates back a long way, surely it would have a been a great place to keep in public ownership other than the way it is used today as some offices or storage or something equally useless to the city's heritage, but why am i surprised, its Glasgow Council we're talking about! :(

come to think of it, didnt they also rip down craigie street cop shop?

(ah memories of those lie- ins, :) )

escotregen wrote:Has anybpdy got any history on it? I have a link in that my mum was born there... Tobago Street I mean.. not the jail.

glasgowken wrote:Any plans for the old police station ? I was up there the other week, it looks as if it's being used for car repairs with the little building next door.

The only history I know of Tobago Street is the old horse tram depot next door to the police station. A converted spinning mill, it was burnt down in 1883, rebuilt, and now demolished of course. A wee side building & chimney still exist.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby stranger » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:54 pm

The main building courthouse and cells used to be privately owned by
the guy who sold car spares round the back most of it used to be rented
out to small businesses as storage or workshops

The garage in Glasgoken's photo takes up all the buildings on the
right hand side of the lane between the two buildings (the old fire station at the front,
the toilets, the old mortuary, the dog kennels and the garages)
this is owned separately from the main building (by the garage owner i
think)
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby alibali b » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:01 pm

I was born in tobago st number 195 my father was born in that house.When i was 6/7 my friends and i would go to the polis station to see the stray dugs befor they went to the glue factory if you were quick you could lift the bolt and let them all out and the sargent would run and try to kick you arse :D ,aahhh the good old days
alibali b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby John » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:10 pm

A lovely building. I have photographed the exterior several times but never been lucky enough to get inside.

J
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Re: Tobago Street Police Station

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:38 pm

dazzababes wrote:I was in the old police station on Tobago St, Bridgeton last night.

It's in the Calton no Bridgeton!
Tell a Caltonian they live in Brigton and you'll likely get a sore face.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:45 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:08 am

Tobago St Court House and police station

cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 am

Like the photos. Does anyone know if there are any current plans for the redevelopment of these buildings?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:37 pm

I would love to get in there and take some photos. If anyone knows how to gain access please let me know
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)