Union Court, Union Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Union Court, Union Street

Postby Local Hero » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:59 am

I have been trying for ages to find out some info about Union Court near the bottom of Union St. It seems like it has been unused for ages but the other week i went past and the gate was unlocked. it was getting a bit dark so i didn't want to risk a trip inside for fear of being locked in. Does anyone have any photos or info about it's history as I find the wee bits you can see from Union St and from Mitchell St at the back really intriguing.
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:28 pm

Back in the 80's it was always open,used to be a great golf/sports shop half way down,was ment to be left open as part of the Merchants wynd
project linking all the back lanes of Union Street,Buchanan Street,Queen street,Millar Street,and onto the Merchant City area.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:36 am

Heard on the news last night that Glasgow city council on the recomendation of the police want to put Gates at the end of lanes
and side streets.The Idea is to close them at weekend nights to cut down on drug dealing and crime.
Could think of a couple of pubs they might want to fit gates to :D
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dynamo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:43 am

I remember the "wee sports shop in the lane" (think that's what it was called).

I'm also fairly sure I got my first pair of fitba boots there. (Hi-Tecs' the same as Davie Robertson 8) 8) )
"When you get right down to it, yer countries a bit like yer fizzer. Fair enough, It might be a pock-marked drink-ridden eyesore, but yer stuck wi' it, so ye might as well try and love it." Rab C Nesbitt.
Dynamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowgub » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:30 pm

Dynamo wrote:I remember the "wee sports shop in the lane" (think that's what it was called).

I'm also fairly sure I got my first pair of fitba boots there. (Hi-Tecs' the same as Davie Robertson 8) 8) )

It was called "Crowleys" if my memory serves me right. Top class supplier of Pringle and Lyle and Scott jerseys, essential fashion jerseys of the 80s :D
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Local Hero » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:05 am

cumbo wrote:Back in the 80's it was always open,used to be a great golf/sports shop half way down,was ment to be left open as part of the Merchants wynd
project linking all the back lanes of Union Street,Buchanan Street,Queen street,Millar Street,and onto the Merchant City area.

Sounds like an interesting idea, i quite often nip along the back lanes around that area just to see whats there (mostly during the day if i am honest) but I am not sure how i would feel about using such routes on a dark winters eve 8O
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby smartie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:36 am

the only info i can provide is that it reeks of piss down there.....

I thought it had been shut off ?!
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)