Postby kelvin_hall » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:31 pm

what is that sulphorous pong?
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:02 am

There was some sort of chemical works around the Pinkston Road area
years ago - the smell is presumably cos the ground is saturated with
whatever it used to spew out. Seems to be worse when it's wet.

James H
Last edited by james73 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:14 am

I always thought it was from the distilliery at Port Dundas?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:24 am

The smell was mentioned on a previous thread, it's really bad around Pinkston Road especially if it rains after being dry for a while.

Various smells - a bit sulphorous and also like bitumen or crude oil. Guess it would have been old chemical works or some heavy industry site.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:14 am

I drove past there last week with a colleague who told me the smell was from old mine workings underneath that area and pointed out that shaft thing by the road on the edge of the park. Have I been lied to?
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:46 am

Get dialling 8O

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:19 pm

Why would a mine smell? It's not as if it's full of the decaying bodies of dead canaries or anything.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:20 pm

I was told a while back(although i cant confirm it)that it is the site of a Victorian rubbish tip.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:45 pm

I was always told it was the chemical works but they're too far south surely? That's where the polis station is.

In between the two railways and the cemetary there was a paint or a soap factory. Seen it on a map somewhere but can't find it now. I'm thinking it's their fault.

Monument, that shaft thingy. The round brick building with the slopey roof at the little car park? I think that's what's left of the entrance to the old railway tunnel, certainly looks like it from the stonework that's still there.
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:21 pm

DVF wrote:Image

I was always told it was the chemical works but they're too far south surely? That's where the polis station is.

In between the two railways and the cemetary there was a paint or a soap factory. Seen it on a map somewhere but can't find it now. I'm thinking it's their fault.

Monument, that shaft thingy. The round brick building with the slopey roof at the little car park? I think that's what's left of the entrance to the old railway tunnel, certainly looks like it from the stonework that's still there.

Theres some info on page 8 and 9 of this thread about the tunnel's north portal.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

post subject

Postby Alex Saville » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:16 pm

Hello from Springburn
That area where you get the pong is know locally as the 'stinky ocean'. I personally dont remember the chemical works but the older folks will tell you there was some sort of 'lagoon' there at one time.
Round about the flats near Pinkston Rd you can come across some sort of vent such as seen at the Patersons coup at London Rd. At the coup the vent is for methane to vent into the air. I dont know if the vents at Sighthill serve the same purpose for the old chemical works ground to let the chemical gas escape on build up. Maybe someone who is an engineer or chemist would know.
The building referred to has something to do with the old railway tunnel to Buchanan St Station.
Alex
Alex Saville
Alex Saville
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: post subject

Postby james73 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:32 pm

Alex Saville wrote:Hello from Springburn
That area where you get the pong is know locally as the 'stinky ocean'. I personally dont remember the chemical works but the older folks will tell you there was some sort of 'lagoon' there at one time.

That might be this:

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

post subject

Postby Alex Saville » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:07 pm

Yes, I think you are right! Its roughly about the same place where the worst of the smell is.
Alex
Alex Saville
Alex Saville
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Hello, new here

Postby macca734 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:16 pm

As far as I know there was a chemical works there, or at least thats whats the legend says.

Theres another story [the one I believe] that says they used to dump the by-products from the Germiston gasworks there. If anyone knows how they used to make gas before we found it in the North Sea they should also know that the resultant chemicals are nasty, pongy stuff. Even at the time it was classed as toxic waste.

:)

Wullie.
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:55 pm

My understanding is some of the park was built from landfill and its the methane escaping, certainly has a similar nasty niff as that bit on the motorway heading out towards edinburgh.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)