Ravenscraig

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Ravenscraig

Postby Lawman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Spot on, but I'm not so sure about the contamination level as that almost seems to be one of the "cleanest" parts of the site, being the main gate/power station area.

There is still an active substation there that feeds the Dalzell steelworks, I think that has a bearing on development, along with getting rid of the foundations (cost wise) and dealing with the bridges, opposed to building on "normal" ground near Carfin/Jerviston.

A couple of before/afters:

Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Local rumour has its what was bulldozed over there during the 'clean up'.
Any sign of that?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 pm

I can understand about the rest of the site, mixing the soil up to dilute the bad stuff. That area seems largely untouched though, bar the demolitions. That's what makes that are seem so eerie, you could "weed" it, clear the roads and paths then build the buildings again, lay some tracks and it would be like nothing has happened. :)
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scotty » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:08 am

Excellent footage from your DJI Lawman, what one is it btw?

Here are some pictures that I had managed to get scans of , an aerial shots of the big R and also of the areas around the bridge. I'm sure I'd posted them on this tread before, looks like the last time I was on was 2009 8O

Think those areas with no growth are simply due to the sheer thickness of the concrete base that have been left.

The big R was done by the Ravenscraig development team around 2010:
ImageRavenscraig The Big R by SCO77Y, on Flickr

This one was one of the scans, not sure who actually owns the pic to credit them. Taken from one of the towers or the gas holders:
ImageView from Gas holder 1960-70's? by SCO77Y, on Flickr

ImageAerial view by SCO77Y, on Flickr

This one I took myself in 2007 just before they knocked the security building down:
ImageMain road looking towards gasholders by SCO77Y, on Flickr

And this is roughly the same view of the gatehouse, these again were from pictures I'd scanned. They were taken on the final day when the last shift was leaving apparently:
ImageLast Shift 2 by SCO77Y, on Flickr

Apologies as I may have previous posted links in this thread, I did search, couldn't see them! I have lots more so happy to post links up.

Cheers
Scott
Scott
scotty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:54 pm

About the only activity going on at the moment, on the old 'Craig site, apart from a limited amount of house building at the Carfin/Dalzell end, is work to improve the drainage on the spine road roundabouts.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Here's a surprise, the 'craig development is on hold. Wow like it wasn't a white elephant from day one and far too much money has been ploughed into that white elephant rather than on the surrounding towns. Will NLC now drop its plan to dual the road from the M8 to the 'craig site as the whole reason for that was to make the site more 'attractive'. Since the development has halted what's the point of the road?
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1376 ... f=mr&lp=11
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Marko » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:52 pm

Gazing into my crystal ball, I predict housing occupying much of the space where the shops would have originally been built, one or two token small shops, and precious little else being done, the rest of the site being left to go to seed (like it hasn't already). I also foresee the road widening being canned, and the existing roads around the area becoming ever more clogged as a result of the new housing.

Let's face it, them taking fast back was always on the cards, and what faster buck than building some houses and then washing your hands of it all?
Marko
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:27 am

Marko wrote:Gazing into my crystal ball, I predict housing occupying much of the space where the shops would have originally been built, one or two token small shops, and precious little else being done, the rest of the site being left to go to seed (like it hasn't already). I also foresee the road widening being canned, and the existing roads around the area becoming ever more clogged as a result of the new housing.

Let's face it, them taking fast back was always on the cards, and what faster buck than building some houses and then washing your hands of it all?

The point being Marko, that NLCs enthrallment with the 'Craig site (as well as other parties) has meant pretty much no, or little investment has been made in surrounding areas for about 6 years now, apart from token schemes supposedly beautifying Motherwell and Wishaw shopping areas and we all know what a shambles the Wishaw scheme became, which actually resulted in driving shops out of the town.
Where was the effort to attract industry into the area, based on the skills the workforce already had?
NLC and its partners will never admit their errors in all of this and we are left, as you say, with a site gone to seed and very little else.
Apart from the housing already built or being built up at the Newarthill/Carfin end, I don't share your optimism that much more will get built, unless the land is given away at a knockdown price (which wouldn't surprise me), given its relative unattractiveness.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Here's the latest propaganda from NLC, I mean update...
Takes till 2/3rd of the way down the page till they finally admit everything is now on hold, but they do wax lyrical about the wonderful new college that was built (and wasn't required), the fantastic new sports centre and of course a pub, in the middle of no where.

http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/inde ... leid=31923
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:09 am

scotty wrote:Excellent footage from your DJI Lawman, what one is it btw?

Thanks Scott, it's just the Phantom 1, I like it, it's nice to fly and I like the basic nature of it.

Great photos, always good to see the site back when it was in use. That security booth is still there, just on its side in the middle of the "car park" to the right of it!

The sports centre at night from above:

Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Marko » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:24 am

Wouldn't be surprised if the site becomes even larger now that Dalzell is closing, as the two sites are joined together: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-34575423

Just what Motherwell needs - another contaminated ex-industrial area to clean up!
Marko
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lawman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Absolutely, and Dalzell isn't exactly a tiny site either! 8O
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:03 pm

I was surprised that Dalzell continued as long as it did as it was originally heavily reliant on the 'Craig and then to plants down South. I could never see how it could be economic to bring the steel billets to Scotland to roll them.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:18 pm

cell wrote:Image

That is a fine looking turbine hall 8O
I have what could possibly be described as an unhealthy fixation with power stations and turbines.
dazza
-
-

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)