Baird Hall - Beresford Hotel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Baird Hall - Beresford Hotel

Postby Simba » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:06 pm

Before anyone eats me, I've done a search and not found anything on here. So:

When was this built and for what purpose? 1937 I think I found, and obviously as a hotel. Was it built for the Empire Exhibition? I was going past it on the bus and mentioned it to my mum as I was on the phone, and she said she thought it was built for an exhibition in the 30s, so I assumed it was for this. So does anyone have a little bit of history about it between building and it being Strathclyde Halls? Am away for a look for old pics on VM but if anyone has any others I'd appreciate a look. :)
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Baird Hall

Postby red_kola » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:21 am

Simba wrote:Before anyone eats me, I've done a search and not found anything on here. So:

I'm not going to eat you, but a (google) search on "Beresford Hotel" would have yielded better results... :)

Anyhow, from The Glasgow Story (click for pictures):
The Beresford Hotel was designed by the architects Weddell & Inglis for one of the firm's partners, William Beresford Inglis. It opened in 1938 in time to attract visitors to the Empire Exhibition. Despite the energetic management of a new owner, the whisky broker Jimmy Barclay, its popularity declined after the war and it was sold in 1952. Imperial Chemical Industries converted the premises to offices and the Beresford became known locally as the ICI Building. It was acquired by the University of Strathclyde in 1964 and converted to a student residence as Baird Hall. In 2003 it was sold again, to be converted to private apartments.

Good picture also at http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA05074
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:58 am

C'mon RK what's the matter with mentioning a landmark building on HG, even if there is quite a lot of info on other "resource" sites, what are we all to do? :)

Do we just put up a big list of all the links to Scran, RCAHMs, VM and tell everybody to look there and let's not bother posting on HG, that's it sit in the house quietly and look at these sites. :(

I am not getting at you in particular, but i have noticed one or two of the other "seasoned" forummers saying in posts in not so many words to others "Google it and it tells the answer" and "pah, really - why did you not do it yourself, double pah"

Anyway Simba, here's some photographs of the landmark Beresford Hotel for you

If i had not swallowed a bottle of Merlot tonight, i would have put dates against the pics and gave you a wee bit on the history of one of it's occupants. I'll do that later.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Jesus Fucking Christ

Postby red_kola » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:17 am

(Edit)
Fair enough, Socceroo. Appreciated...

(double edit)
My point was (and I am sorry that I even mentioned the word google) that you're not going to find a lot of stuff searching for the Baird Hall. You need to know that it was built as the Beresford Hotel and take it from there...
Last edited by red_kola on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:22 am

Sorry, RK not meaning to get at you in particular, don't take offence. :)

Certainly did not mean to get at you.

What's been hacking me off with these forums recently is that some relative newbies and less frequent forummers are getting jumped on with an attitude from some, of the nature of "Hmm..why are you asking that, you should know and if you don't know you should google it, here i'll google it for you"

I should have waited for the main culprits of this and jumped on them not you, i do apologise.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:56 am

Yeah!!!!! Bullies :P :wink:

It doesn't really matter that much if a newbie (or an oldie) asks about something already covered.
This is a discussion forum, not just a links page. Sometimes a request, even for a well known (to forum regs anyway) subject, can touch off new stories, bring new photos, and personal experiences, from forum newbies & oldies. That "old ground" to the regs may be the first time a newbie has ever had the chance to discuss it with you knowledgeable folk.

It's what makes this the best forum on the planet :D
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:38 am

Socceroo wrote:Anyway Simba, here's some photographs of the landmark Beresford Hotel for you

Thanks for the pictures. :)

Anyway, that's what I feel. I'm fairly new here, and not a native to Glasgow ,but considering that I do know a fair bit about the area. However I want to learn more and a lot of the time it's far more interesting learning about it from other folk who know about it, have experiences, etc, than looking at a wee paragraph about it. For example, the Chimmy Chungas thread - I'm sure that information is out on the hinternet somewhere, but it was nice to hear about viceroy's(?) memories of it from his childhood when it was Coopers.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:41 pm

I agree - we can all use Google (with the exception of my mother), but it's nice to hear others views or anecdotes, not just read info on a site.

Viva la HG!
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:31 pm

I believe it had dog kennels on the roof. I am sure it is covered in Rudolf McKenna's book on Art Deco Glasgow or Scotland in the 30's. It is also mentioned in the brilliant and now deleted "The Scottish Thirties" by Charles McKean and other authors.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:53 am

The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:42 am

...and as part of the current refurbishment, they're adding an extra floor above current roof level, as otherwise this enormous building would 'not be financially viable' :roll:
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Osiris » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:41 am

anyone know of a website for the residential side of the development?

J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Osiris » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:22 pm

...found it at http://www.theberesford.co.uk

quite impressive looking, not much info on flat prices though.

J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:26 pm

Osiris wrote:not much info on flat prices though.

"Prices from £79,000" when I walked past about 10 mins ago. (oh, and a horrible flashing graphic here). Sounds very reasonable until you read:

"STUDIOS, 1 & 2 Bedroom Flats".

So that'll be 80K for a studio flat with no outlook on a crap floor.
Last edited by red_kola on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:27 pm

But I still want one... I have always loved that building.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)