Is this Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Is this Glasgow?

Postby Apollo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:06 pm

I was going to tack this onto the end of fin54's thread, but it probably deserves its own debate:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5048626.html

I'll kick-off be noting that I know one shop-owner in Shettleston, who does not live in the area, that gets their shop closed, the shutters locked down and staff off home before 6 pm (and will not allow anyone back at night for any reason) in the belief that at night, the streets of this area are patrolled by knife-wielding thugs searching for people to attack or fight with.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:23 pm

It's holiday time :twisted:

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Is this Glasgow?

Postby AlanM » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Apollo wrote:I was going to tack this onto the end f fin54's thread, but it probably deserves its own debate:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5048626.html

I'll kick-off be noting that I know one shop-owner in Shettleston, who does not live in the area, that gets their shop closed, the shutters locked down and staff off home before 6 pm (and will not allow anyone back at night for any reason) in the belief that at night, the streets of this area are patrolled by knife-wielding thugs searching for people to attack or fight with.

I think someone has been to the Donal MacIntyre school of journalism. I'm sure there are skwads of neds roaming the place but I'm sure the violence levels have been greatly exagerated.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:28 pm

Many years ago Glasgow had tightly organised gangs with hundreds of members each, there's nothing like that now, just loose gangs of pissed neds.
Was there less violence then ? The answer seems to be yes, but I can't understand it :?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Deport them to a real warzone, they might learn something.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weedgie_bored » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:33 pm

How can they get away with writing this sensationalist crap?
How can they describe these nyaffs as fighters, unless it's to glorify them.

Is there ever any real gang fights? The main damage I've ever seen is to bus shelters or innocent passers by, the guy who's walked his girlfriend home, the person waiting on a late night bus, any body who looks as if they can't defend themselves all so some wee piece of shit can call himself a chibman.

And as always the media are there to rake in the money turning out their stock pieces on how bad it is.
weedgie_bored
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pripyat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:36 pm

I wonder how much of a backhander the ET gave them?
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Is this Glasgow?

Postby scallopboy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:56 pm

AlanM wrote:I think someone has been to the Donal MacIntyre school of journalism. I'm sure there are skwads of neds roaming the place but I'm sure the violence levels have been greatly exagerated.

It depends what part of town you're in. Would you perhaps like to meet on a bridge to discuss this matter? We can converse by shouting at each other from 50 feet away and flinging bricks. It will have to be a BYO5I (Bring Your Own 5 Iron) occasion as I'm running a little short due to recent incursions and cannot lend you one. :wink: ::): If you take a trip round some areas it's apparent from all the debris lying about that either the street sweepers are somewhat derilict in their duty of clearing up bricks/rocks/broken paving slabs and bottles or they just stick to the cans and crisp packets and get out before they're used as target practice.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:21 pm

+

=

I think I smell another glorious business venture :twisted:
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:37 pm

glasgowken wrote:Many years ago Glasgow had tightly organised gangs with hundreds of members each, there's nothing like that now, just loose gangs of pissed neds.
Was there less violence then ? The answer seems to be yes, but I can't understand it :?

Why does it seem to be yes?

Becasue we're older or because there are better records, because there was no drug trade.

We go through waves of hooliganism.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weedgie_bored » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:38 pm

glasgowken wrote:Many years ago Glasgow had tightly organised gangs with hundreds of members each, there's nothing like that now, just loose gangs of pissed neds.

They were exactly the same in the 1960's, and the level of violence was not much different.
Not many worse examples than the Sept. weekend 1968 when there was about 5 murders and umpteen attempted in Glasgow.
Only difference was, it was Lannie and cider they were on, now it's Buckie and glue.
weedgie_bored
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Socceroo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 pm

I like Pripyat's suggestions on gang control, either parachute them into a war zone or let them test their so called Gladiator skills in the National Stadium with a few members of the larger feline breeds.

We could always bring back National Service then we would have super fit gangs instead of just gangs.

In most former Warsaw Pact countries which are now part of the EU, if teenagers are unemployed then they need to do an amount of Public Service work each week to collect their Unemployment Benefits.i.e. work with old people, take younger kids for sport etc.

Keeps them from getting bored, because basically that i believe is the problem with a lot of these gangs who are esentially kids, they are just plain bored.

Our society is great at telling kids in certain geographic parts of our city that they are failing, we are not so good at giving them a hand up and listening to them.

There is many shiny buildings and bridges getting built in our city which is great for Glasgow, but is it a gloss over some of the inherent social problems in our city? Widepread poverty, unemployment, drug abuse, alcoholism, sectarianism, racism.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:25 pm

There is many shiny buildings and bridges getting built in our city which is great for Glasgow, but is it a gloss over some of the inherent social problems in our city? Widepread poverty, unemployment, drug abuse, alcoholism, sectarianism, racism.

Yes. Lets stop wasting money on these pointless things and create some real jobs (and I mean REAL ones and not ones to support the rest of Glasgow) that potential neds can get into. We've ''shaken off our industrial past'', too many people are feeling the cold...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:17 am

Social and employment issues are key points to the
current wave, or at least the past 2 generations worth,
perputauated by the will of the Iron Lady.

The era of financial city growth and industrial decline.
The decimation of trades and the rise of "hey, send
everyone to Uni" motto.

Blair may think everyone can be a doctor or a teacher,
the reality is that society is made up and requires
people of all levels of education to benefit the whole.
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:23 pm

Comparing these wee fannies with the 'real' Glasgow gangs of the past is a total joke. They must love this kind of publicity. Sadly, I can see things getting worse and worse unless people stop glamourising it and start laughing at the wee fuds.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)