Victoria Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Lincoln Inn user prefers Red Blaes to reality.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:50 pm

Hey Glasgow City Council to you, tree hugger. Do keep up.

I'm sure you aspire to live in Broomhill with the rest of your kind but do you seriously believe the Red Blaes at Victoria Park is more important than the curtailing of the Trdaing Standards unit, the removal of 37 teachers from nurseries, the cutting of Library hours, and the selling off of six out of school care services.

Did you read the budget proposals? No you joined a pretend barney on a message board.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Victoria Park

Postby hazy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:46 pm

So which department of the coucil do you work in Dex. Now thats a contradiction in terms. I suggest you read about the demographic study into why schools nurseries and teachers in Scotland are being cut. And may I also suggest to you to read some articals by Vivienne Nicoll, of the Glasgow Evening Times whom I have emailed on various occasions about her sterling work on fighting for such projects as the Victoria park pitches.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Lincoln Inn user prefers Red Blaes to reality.

Postby Roxburgh » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Hey Glasgow City Council to you, tree hugger. Do keep up.

I'm sure you aspire to live in Broomhill with the rest of your kind but do you seriously believe the Red Blaes at Victoria Park is more important than the curtailing of the Trdaing Standards unit, the removal of 37 teachers from nurseries, the cutting of Library hours, and the selling off of six out of school care services.

Did you read the budget proposals? No you joined a pretend barney on a message board.

But it isn't an either/or is it? I mean if we accepted having a car park on top of the Red Blaes that wouldn't save a single nursery teacher.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Lincoln Inn user prefers Red Blaes to reality.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:28 pm

Roxburgh wrote:But it isn't an either/or is it? I mean if we accepted having a car park on top of the Red Blaes that wouldn't save a single nursery teacher.

Quite right it isn't but no mention of it on here where's there a predilection to saving objects rather than services. Just compare the fuss on here to what's happening with other former recreation grounds such as Queens Park being built over for the New Victoria and the North Kelvin pitches being declared surplus to requirements which translates to Luxury Flats.

The park will still be there only the current car park will be covered in tarmac rather than a mix of Red Blaes and Dog shit.

Mind you at a cost of 300 jobs, cuts in services the punters in Lower and Western knightswood will see no rise in their Council tax.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Broomhill bloomers

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:32 pm

hazy wrote:So which department of the council do you work in Dex. Now thats a contradiction in terms. I suggest you read about the demographic study into why schools nurseries and teachers in Scotland are being cut. And may I also suggest to you to read some articles by Vivienne Nicoll, of the Glasgow Evening Times whom I have emailed on various occasions about her sterling work on fighting for such projects as the Victoria park pitches.

The cuts in nursery school teachers is nothing to do with demographics as they are being replaced by Child development Officers. it is to do with whether or not Nurseries are childminding or educational establishments.

But hey Red Blaes and Jumpers as goalposts are obviously more important matters to waste trees on.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:45 pm

I like the phrase 'fallen into missuse', political speak for 'if we don't maintain or improve it, it will not get used, therefore we can close it and sell it' Same thing happening at Yorkhill Park.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5022811.html

This park was improved years ago by European grant money and now appears to only get a cursory grass cut, litter is left to multiply and shrubs and bushes are overgrown making it one of the most neglected parks in the city, no wonder you hardly see anybody in it, in spite of the great views you get. The entrance from Old Ferry Road is a disgrace.
I use Kelvingrove Park, the Kelvin walkway and Botanic Gardens a lot, and they are first class.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Victoria Park

Postby hazy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:02 pm

Hey Councillor Dex. Open spaces and trees allow children to develop and express personal expression. This combined with education will enhance childrens futures. If we take this away we end up with children lacking in physical and social skills. 2 classes of PE does not constitute enough to keep children active. You have to look beyond all this crap you go on about tree hugging and look at the wider picture. As a trade union member I along with many colleges fought long and hard against the sale of school land to private developers during the Thatcher regime. All Glaswegians, no matter what side of the political fence they stand on should fight to keep our open spaces and parklands available to the public.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Dig for Victoria

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:38 pm

hazy wrote: As a trade union member I along with many colleagues fought long and hard against the sale of school land to private developers during the Thatcher regime. All Glaswegians, no matter what side of the political fence they stand on should fight to keep our open spaces and parklands available to the public.

Right arguments wrong battle. The land at Victoria park is not being sold, and will be used by the public. If you get there quick nobody will notice the hole you're diggng for yourself.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Victoria Park

Postby hazy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:11 pm

Councillor Dexter. I stated a fact that Land was being sold to private developers by Thatcher. Where exactly in the text do I say the Victoria Park is being sold to private developers.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:06 am

Just noticed, there's an article in the Herald today...
Councillor hits back at campaign to stop plan for car park
NEIL DRYSDALE and STEPHEN STEWART February 14 2006
A leading councillor has hit back at the campaign to stop a car park being built in one of Glasgow's most historic parks.
Aileen Colleran, Glasgow City Council's parks convener, said proposals to replace disused football pitches and trees with a car park at Victoria Park were being distorted by a campaign based on misconceptions.
Ms Colleran, councillor for the Partick ward, said the council was determined to preserve green space, while upgrading facilities "to a twenty-first century standard". She denounced what she claimed were unwarranted accusations that Glasgow's playing fields were under increasing jeopardy from developers.
She said: "You would think from some of the abuse the council is poised to send bulldozers into Victoria Park and turn a beautiful green space into a sea of ugly grey concrete.
"Two very poor quality red blaes pitches are going to be removed. In reality, they are derelict and used for little more than dog walking.
"In their place, we will build two new grass pitches, fully available for recreational use by local residents and clubs.
"Yes, it is true there will be a hard-surfaced area next to the new pitches and the grassed area will also be used on a limited number of occasions by motorists when major sporting events are being held at the Scotstoun stadium, with most of these on Friday evenings.
"Believe me, there is no way we would be putting forward this proposal if we didn't believe it was leading to an improvement in the existing sports and recreational space in Victoria Park."
David Moyes, Everton's manager, recently joined campaigners in the battle to save the Victoria Park football pitches. Glasgow-born Moyes played his first football game on the threatened Victoria Park red blaes pitches.
Glasgow City Council wants to build the park on disused pitches, fell about 20 trees and build a new access road and driveway through the park.
Steve Prince is a local resident who helps run Broomhill Sports Club which organises classes for hundreds of children.
He said his club would welcome the provision of new facilities in Victoria Park but added: "The real issue here is that the council want to park over 600 cars in our park about 20 times per year. What condition will the grass be in the morning after? Would the Glasgow rugby people like to give up two grass pitches at Scotstoun for an overflow car park? Probably not as it would ruin their playing surface.
"However, it's meant to be a good enough arrangement for our children to play the national game on. We have been attempting to do develop our park while the council wants to rush through some ill-conceived plan to park cars there. This is not good governance."
In a separate development, the council are expected to approve more than £20m towards the development of Toryglen regional sports centre and Scotstoun Stadium.
The council's policy and resources committee is today expected to set aside £10.5m for Toryglen and £7.9m for Scotstoun with a further £2.2m for a central contingency fund.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/56188.html
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:42 pm

I took the opportunity to look at the red blaes pitches as I walked back to the West End after a very pleasant morning spent at the new auction rooms nearby.

Frankly, the extent to which they have been neglected is a total disgrace (deliberate?) especially as the rest of the park is in excellent shape. Putting a car park there would be doing the site a favour. In the circumstances, it is impossible to escape the conclusion that the parkies and the council knew exactly what they were doing.

Shame on you :!:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alasdair » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:27 pm

It would be a disgrace for the city if a car park was built in this part of Victoria Park.

Victoria Park is already too small as a result of the Expressway being built along its southern edge in the 1960s. The blaes pitches are located in one of the few areas in the park where you can't hear the roar of traffic from that road. By rights the area should be landscaped and used for leisure as originally intended.

An alternative arrangement would be to turn one carriageway of the Expressway into a temporary car park for the fortnight of the 2014 Commonwealth games. This would be pretty cheap (just traffic cones, road markings, and advance warning for road-users) and only temporary.

They could also link the new Scotstoun stadium to Southbrae Drive by an underpass or bridge, to spread traffic and car parking across a wider area.

And that's if we get the 2014 games anyway.
Alasdair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)