Victoria Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Victoria Park

Postby retired tiger » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:26 am

Not content with stealing a huge chunk of the park 40+ years ago, our city fathers want to do it again! And why? So that dear little car drivers don't have to walk too far to their chosen recreation event at the Scotstoun Leisure Centre. Is this the same city that wants to promote use of public transport, healthy living etc, etc.?
:evil:
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:53 pm

They're taking over part of Victoria Park? 8O
No way. :(
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:53 pm

I'm surprised they don't want to tarmac the lot & build flats on it.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Victoria park

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 am

They've been using the red ash pitches as an overspill car park for years. Other than a place for dog shit it's not used for anything else.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:29 am

allyharp wrote:They're taking over part of Victoria Park? 8O
No way. :(

The bit the plan to take is the blaze football pitch near Danes Drive :(
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 am

Some general background to this issue in a good feature in the Herald today.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/55651.html

I agree with the sentiments against parkland being used to sevice the great god car... and I really do think that Glasgow is lagging behind other cities in it's continued pre-occupation to providing an ever-growing infrastructure for cars.

However, I could not help noticing that in the Herald feature, three Glasgow MSPs are listed as objectors. This highlights the 'pass-the-parcel that goes on about investment and maintenance of public amenities: current financial pressures for local authorities such as Glasgow, start with the Scottish Executive's failure to provide sufficient funding. The Executive then, in addition, caps local authorities' ability to make up shortfalls through Council Tax.

The reason for the Executive's actions is because Westminster Governments will not consent to increased public funding as this require increased taxation... that's something that we the great British public (well most of those who vote) will not vote for any politician that's honest enough to say if you want better public services you need to pay for them through direct taxation. Instead we have devices such as stealth taxes and death-of-services by-a-thousand-cuts.

And so we come back to "well Jimmy or Jean if you'll no pay for them, you'll no have parks".
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby swavmcav » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:40 pm

I suspect that this corner of the park has been coveted by some council official or other for this purpose for some time, which is exactly why it is a sad and neglected corner of the park only used for the aforementioned dog shitting.

The plan would be to let it run down to such an extent people say..it's not used for anything much anyway..might as well have a car park.

If people don't object a significant corner of the park will be gone for good.
It won't be coming back....ever.
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Use it before you lose it.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:07 pm

No they built the pitches at the Scotstoun leisure Centre and nobody wanted to play on the red Ash at Victoria.

When did you last play football in a park never mind a red ash ane?

At least the dog walkers use the park.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:29 pm

After they stole the best part of the boating ponds they never came back, swines, the big model yachts were brill.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Victoria park

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:36 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:They've been using the red ash pitches as an overspill car park for years. Other than a place for dog shit it's not used for anything else.

Naturally, it's beyond the council's wit to think of any use other than a car park. Not known for original thought are our councillors.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Use it before you lose it.

Postby Timchilli » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:41 am

We used to use the Showgrounds (“Shogies”) for football on an almost daily basis. Whenever the weather made the pitches there unplayable, we’d head along to Vicky Park for a game on the blaize. Retrieving the ball was a nightmare, but it was a part of the game then.

So sad to see that our avaricious and tactless councillors are up to their old tricks.

Wave a fist full of notes under the Council’s nose and you’re bound to get what you want – at the expense of actual heritage.

Disgusting.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:57 pm

Always a shame to see parks allowed to fade.

But, it is worth pointing out that Scotstoun is an incredibly good, popular and well used Sports centre, which even more people might use if it was easy - or inded possible - to get parked.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby swavmcav » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:08 pm

You say they built pitches at Scotstoun. True. But that costs about £40 an hour to play there at fives. Not really afordable to most kids having a kick about. And you need to book a week in advance or have a block booking!

Kids need areas to muck about in. Red blaze pitches were always fine for that (not so good for amateur footy though). Not just football. We would race bikes round them and all sorts. They just need to be kept in a half decent state which doesn't take too much effort. In this case they have not been which is why they are not used. Not because there are pitches at Scotstoun. They fulfill two different needs.

The point, which i think we all agree on, is that if the car park is built a big bit of the park is lost whether they are used as pitches or not.

As for playing footy in the park. I do so regularly with my kids. Not on the red blaze though...too much shit from the dog walkers!
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:44 pm

You say they built pitches at Scotstoun. True. But that costs about £40 an hour to play there at fives. Not really afordable to most kids having a kick about. And you need to book a week in advance or have a block booking!

Everybody knows they built pitches at Scotstoun.

Or are you saying they didn't. Nobody plays fitba on the blaes they play it on the rugby/cricket pitches. My son and his pals played for free at the leisure centre by monitoring usage and time. And knowing when to exit quickly. They alo chipped in for games and no it wasn't £40 and it was available without a fortnight's notice.

I say you just want to have a go at the council over any reason.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby swavmcav » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:40 pm

Oh boy....I think you could pick a fight with your own shadow!

I'm generally supportive of the council. I'm just expressing my opinion that I don't want to see part of the park sacrificed for car parking.

Simple as that.

You like car parking. Good for you. I would rather have recreational space personally.

It costs £32 an hour for fives at Scotstoun if you are 18 or over (thats me).£16.25 for juniors. I imagine kids can sneak on every so often and use a pitch for a bit, free of charge, if no one is on, but are you really arguing that this is better than having pitches they can just muck about on any time they want for free?

I don't know why you think you need a fortnights notice. You would book a week in advance or use a block booking, if you want to play there at a half decent time. I play after work and theres no chance without it.
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)