Glasgow Street Statutory List

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Street Statutory List

Postby Apollo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:38 pm

Updated monthly, Glasgow Council Land Services publishes a list of Glasgow's roads, giving the name, adopted name and when it was adopted, a description of the street's location, and in a number of cases, the length, width and area of the road.

It's a 2000+ page pdf, so you might want to download it before trying some searches unless your particularly patient.

December's list:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ ... 2dec05.pdf

Search the site for "list of roads" to find future issues.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

street names

Postby hazy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:54 pm

good wee bit of Glasgow street history there Appolo. Good find. Heres my wee bit of another Glasgow street history. All the streets in Knightswood are named after a character or location from the book Ivanhoe. Sleep the night eh!
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:56 pm

Interesting!
My street name was adopted in the 30s, but my tenement was built in 1910.
Need to try and find out the original name now!
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:03 pm

Good bed time reading, i'll just pop into the printer four reams of A4 and give it cover to cover tonight. :D

The adopted dates for roads are sometimes years after they have been constructed. Developers and Contractors put a Road Bond in place with the Local Council at the outset of construction once a Building Warrant has been issued for a development.

The idea being that they get the money back once the Council has signed off that the road is fit for Local Authority adoption. More often than not a fairly protracted situation occurs whereby the Council either nit picks and refuses to accept the road or the Contractor cannot get them to inspect it.

A particular Council to the west of Glasgow is rumoured to do it deliberately. Nice little interest earner having 4 - 5 million pounds of bond money sitting in their account :wink:
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:38 pm

This may be obvious, but I know many folk doen't notice these.

Providing the stone cleaning didn't remove them completely, many tenements can be found where the recognisable remains of the painted street signs still exist on their corners. It can take a bit of effort, but one of the side effects is that the cleaning also reveals overpainted names, so that more than one past name can be identified.

An example of what Shettleston Road used to be prior to 1920. From the Road List, the section known as Eastmuir Street was renamed to Shettleston Road on June 15, 1920, as was the section known as Main Street. This point at the Kirk House must have been the crossover of the original names:

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Yes, and they will check everything in their power to make sure it is up to scratch- it's a good idea!

You can name roads what you like too but they councils do have the right to veto it or change it when a adopted. Providing it's sensible it makes it through. Don't think we have too many ones like California, Coca Cola Boulivard and Google Drive and the alikes when they build the developments!

The problem with roads being adopted is that it gives the council a lot of poer of businesses. Take Braehead Shopping Centre- Renfrewshire could in theory put it out of business in a few weeks. The of course wouldn't, but if you want to reduce visitor numbers thats easy!

Nearly all the road improvements around Braehead, Renfrew have been paid for by IKEA, CSC or one of the housebuilders. The bill must easily run into 10 million.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Blueboy wrote:Interesting!

Let me know the name of your street and I will look up the original name.
PM me if you want to stay under the radar.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:03 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Blueboy wrote:Interesting!

Let me know the name of your street and I will look up the original name.
PM me if you want to stay under the radar.

Ronnie.
You can just make out "Edgemont Gardens" in gold on a black background on the tenement at the bottom of the street. I'd still be interested if Edgemont Street had an even older name..
Not bothered about the radar :D
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:50 pm

There is a list published on the internet listing old street names. I came across it during a session of research for my Family History. I will try and find it in my files but any one interested should try a google search "Old Street Names" I am sure this should through up the correct site.

For the record, developers need the approval of Land Services, Roads Department for all road constructions that they want the Council to adopt. The adoption of a road ensures that the Council are responsible for the maietenance of the road. And before any one jumps in with complaints about the condition of their road. This is subject to the available financial resources. If anyone has a compalint about a hole in their road they should report it to 0870373635, RALF as it is known.

It is my understanding that road are named by the Council's Building Control Section and they have a naming system for each area. It is not easy to change the name of a street without the support of your local Councillor and the local Community Council.

Alex
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:53 pm

Blueboy wrote:You can just make out "Edgemont Gardens" in gold on a black background on the tenement at the bottom of the street. I'd still be interested if Edgemont Street had an even older name.

Edgemont Gardens, Langside, became the odd numbers in Edgemont Street, according to Susan Miller, "A Guide to Glasgow Addresses, Part II" (Glasgow: Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society, 2001). No other renamings recorded here, so looks like Edgemont Gardens was the original name of the block or terrace where the plaque is.

An old map from the date the street was constructed would confirm this.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:46 pm

Flyingscot wrote:Nearly all the road improvements around Braehead, Renfrew have been paid for by IKEA, CSC or one of the housebuilders. The bill must easily run into 10 million.

On the mention of Ikea, the road that the Edinburgh Ikea and Costco are on in Penicuik is called 'Costkea Way'. (It kinda fits in with street names!)
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:16 am

Simba wrote:On the mention of Ikea, the road that the Edinburgh Ikea and Costco are on in Penicuik is called 'Costkea Way'. (It kinda fits in with street names!)

No shit sherlock ;)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Merlot » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:30 pm

Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)