Renfrew Airport

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby AlanM » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:26 pm

This one looked rather worrying

22/01/05
G-RJXD EMB145 BMA Stand 31 0410
While parked on stand a fire broke out under the aircraft at the rear.
From outside the aircraft looks to be damaged above the right wing.
The fire was caused by a person climbing over the security fence and lighting
a flamable liquid.Police are treating the accident as wil-full fire raising.
The airport reopened to flights about 0910.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:35 pm

Aye, I mind that one making the papers, kids nowadays, eh!

There seems to be a lot of "smoke in the cockpit" problems.

I get that in the car, it happens after you light a cigarette on the lighter, it always leaves a wee bit a baccy, so when you go to use it again it burns off. Nothing to worry about folks.
Assuming they do have cigarette lighters up front, aye they will have it's a bloody plane, they wouldnae build something that expensive and cut back by no puting one in.

If you read down a bit I'm sure it says that they are just a small sample 8O
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:27 pm

When the planes started their engines, there always used to be a man in white overalls with a big double fire extinguisher standing by just in case.

Air travel in those days was more risky than today.

I also recall that, when Abbotsinch was announced as the site for the new Glasgow airport, we went for a drive to have a look at it and there was a row of RAF (or probably Fleet Air Arm) planes on the tarmac with their wings folded.

Anyone recall going to Gareloch to watch the RN ships at the breakers yards?
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby govanboay » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:50 am

would the terminal building be where the Tesco supermarket is now? Kinda looks that way....

paul.
govanboay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:24 am

I read somewhere that on the site of the old Terminal Building there was now a Supermarket so that would be about right Govanboay.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby govanboay » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:43 pm

There's a wee scheme just in front of it and the streets are named after aircraft that presumably flew there......Vanguard Way, Britannia Way etc.

paul.
govanboay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:57 pm

When you look at old ordnance survey maps - they would indicate the main buildings for the airport are now where Staffa Avenue and Colonsay Avenue meet Newmains Road.

The M8 does cut right through it and it could well be that the M8 is following a runway route. We'd need to find out Renfrew Airport's runway numbers. If there was a runway 25 then that greatly strengthens the case for the straight M8 section being the old runway as it looks to be following a course of about 250 degrees.

In fact it is very likely Renfrew would have a runway 24 or 25 to fit in with the prevailing wind in Glasgow, just like Glasgow Airport's runway 23 at present.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:13 pm

In fact is that not the runway running alongside and north of the M8 ? See the strip of broken brown in the grass from Google Earth.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:42 pm

I think you are right Schiehallion

I would say that the brown area within the grassed area is the lines of one of the old runways.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Excellent photos. I went to a Xmas party in the Terminal in 1967 - new coat and trousers etc! (I was 4).
The second last of Mori's photos is interesting as it shows a view from the dilapidated Terminal across the KGV Playing fields, the Renfrew High Pitches + track and the school itself. To the left is a sheltered housing daycare complex. I'd the (mis)fortune to attend Renfrew High from 75-80.
I don't know when the KGV fields became such, I think they were part of the much earlier Airfield layout but the High School ground and the PE fields and the housing complex were all on airfield land.
Looking at the photo - at a point about half way along the line of the highest point of the roof - in the School grounds there was a portion of waste ground that still had original tarmac/concrete and markings from the hangars and access ways. We managed to convince the tech teachers that it could be a go-kart track etc.
As mentioned, Britannia Way etc was built on the land as well but land now occupied by the School fields and the housing complex in the photo was formerly used as Bonded warehousing. They burnt down spectacularly in the seventies - everyone turned out to see that!
There is a book by Dugald Cameron about the Airport serving Glasgow - ie Renfrew and 'Abbotsinch': Glasgow's Airport ISBN 0 7157-2841-3
It was £9.95 in the nineties.
The main runway was designated 08/26. As seen on Google Earth, although most folk will try to tell you that the motorway 'was' the runway, it actually was adjacent. The 'cross' runway was at the NE end of the field, which became the Golf course initially and then the Dean Park houses behind the Airport Hotel/Dean Park Hotel
The book's been picked out... I haven't looked at it for years. I'll delve into it if anyone wants.
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:30 pm

Whats weird is the area of countryside that must me no more than a mile square (and I mean square!) that lies between Paisley and Glasgow, there is development all around it but it has been left out. I wonder why...

Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:48 pm

Remember though some of that area, near to the motorway, is a cemetery and a large chunk of it further south is Barshaw golf course.

Also there's a railway line cutting right through the middle.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:36 am

Renfrew Airport from the air - late 1940's

Renfrew Airport from the air - 1966 prior to closure

Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:13 am

Socceroo wrote:Renfrew Airport from the air - 1966 prior to closure

Ahh now we can nail it. There's runway 08 meaning it's runway 26 at the other end. A line on the bearing 80/260 degrees which that runway follows matches the direction of the brown strip and the M8. I'm beginning to wonder if the brown strip under the grass isn't the taxiway you can see to the left of the runway with the M8 being the runway right enough!

here it is on google earth using the wee scheme at the bottom left as a reference point...

It certainly looks like Hairy Brain's dad was right. Using the wee graveyard to the right of the M8 as a reference point also seems to point to the motorway being at least partly on top of the original runway.

It's a funny wee coincidence that the runway must've been runway 26 at the 'Glasgow' end and the motorway junction up at that end (Hillington) is also 26! Doo roo doo roo doo roo doo roo (that's meant to be The Twilight Zone theme by the way)
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:04 am

Vladimir wrote:Whats weird is the area of countryside that must me no more than a mile square (and I mean square!) that lies between Paisley and Glasgow, there is development all around it but it has been left out. I wonder why...

Hmm... perhaps Glasgow just didn't want to get any closer to Paisley? :wink:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)