-

Postby Fossil » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:16 pm

It’s different
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:24 pm

it's not to my taste. And it highlights one of my pet peeves - does it blend in with the surrounding buildings or does it stick out like a sore thumb?

I always think a good architect can do something different but yet manages to make it similar to its surroundings. For examples of something that just doesn't work, go look at Bewleys Hotel (I think that's what it's called) on Bath Street. Horrible!
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:47 pm

I like the inverted crow step window design on its own. And the symmetry of the building is pretty good, not too sure of the rusty fence like spars on some of the windows though?.
Where is this building btw? It wouldn't look out of place in Berlin thats for sure.
Conjures up pictures of angst in my opinion.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:15 am

Revd Dr Robert Walker Skating on Duddingston Loch
Sir Henry Raeburn

This painting was the inspiration
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:33 am

In all honesty the building is awful. I agree that something original and noteworthy should be built for the parliament but it shoud dhave been a Scottish Architect and something that fitted in with the Scottish Style. As for the hoo ha about the cost, how much do people think it costs for a building?!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DJB » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:11 am

Well it's not bad, but is it worth 400 million???????????????

that's the real question!
DJB
DJB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby turbozutek » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:45 am

Who here thinks St Peters' should have been renovated as the new scottish parliment ???

Na ahhahah!!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:56 am

I never liked the sticks in front of the windows bit... just seems like a crappy way of breaking the uniformity.

And its a bit on the grey side!!! I mean parliament isnt supposed to be a panopoly of clours .... but still

I'd have like to have seen some colour added in there, in to the stonework somehow. To break it up, raterh than the sticks.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:34 am

turbozutek wrote:Who here thinks St Peters' should have been renovated as the new scottish parliment ???

Na ahhahah!!

Chris...

Nah! St Peters is too good for that lot!
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

(head in hands)

Postby cataclyzm » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:18 pm

Someone has decided to go for the organic form approach, and succeeded in making it look the headquarters for the Smurf foundation.
You know....Papa smurf and all the siblings they have...it's the perfect elevated hovel that all smurfs should aspire to, and it actually transcends citch and cliched. Now how many of us can lay claim to an overpriced rack of
random ugliness?
But really...we should just keep going for those benefit cheats and single parents and all the disenfranchized from society, that the people who inhabit this building will no doubt great pleasure in going for, to remove the focus from their own machievellian antics.
This is the perfect building for the true parasitic hosts of society. You know...the ones who've succeeded in destroying everything we once so valued.
Building....? it has all the artistic relevance and moral integrity of Andy Warhol. But hey...ordinary people do work to keep them in the lifestyles they've become accustomed to.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:29 pm

Feelings always run high with the mention of the Holyrood project, but it's the under-hand way in which our Ministers have run the whole thing that gets me! Why oh why are Ministers running a construction programme??? If you were getting new windows or building an extemnsion you wouldn't call in a team of anally retentive lawyers and accountants that consider themselves "leaders of men"!

This aint there jobs and thats why the Scottish Parliament has become such a joke. For a Civil Servant to come up with an apocraphyl figure of £40million for a building of such status is simply laughable... £40million would just about get you a Buchannan Galleries and a couple of Parkhead Forge's!

So alright, the Parliament design isn't to everyones taste; we're all Scottish! We're a funny bunch, sometimes frigid and secular in our opinions; but we're good with it 8) ::): I myself, thought the inspiration of up-turned boats was to look like a collection of barnacles strewn over the Holyrood site, and I was, Im embarassed to say, a bit outraged that a Spanish architect should have been chosen to design the place.

Having seen 2 of the other entries since,however, I think it was the right decision! And he practically was Scottish: a Catalan with an alcohol problem! ::):

Have you all checked out the website?
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/holyrood/pip-00.htm

This is the entrance foyer... I think its quite nice?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby johnnyanglia » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:02 pm

The windows are pretty cool. I got a guided tour when i was at College. Unfortunately they cost £17,000 each which is bloody ridiculous like the cost and crookery of the whole project.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)