Greggs, the city boaker.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Greggs, the city boaker.

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 am

Whilst we are on the subject of bakers shop chains....what happened to the others which have disappeared like Dalziel's, Olivers etc - there used to be loads of them.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:48 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:Whilst we are on the subject of bakers shop chains....what happened to the others which have disappeared like Dalziel's, Olivers etc - there used to be loads of them.

City Bakeries was my favourite....
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:13 pm

City Bakeries, Crawfords and any number of local/neighbourhood little gems of a bakery were all wiped out under the relentless jackboot of the conglomerate that is Greggs. Go into a Greggs anywhere. Ireland, England, Wales and you`ll get the EXACT same tasting shit the length and breadth of the entire country.

That`s the reality behind the myth of free-market competition -- sooner or later one player will be top-dog who will then cleanse all competitors, and then choice, the so-called holy grail of free-market competition, goes down the kazzi. The only choice you now got is... take it or leave it.

In the case of Greggs, I`d rather pick the kazzi.
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Bradford's have served their last vanilla slice, sadly...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-23287517

Funny, Mr Bint and I walk past their Sauchiehall Street branch regularly and we kept promising ourselves an afternoon tea there as a treat. Oh well...
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:56 am

SomeRandomBint wrote:Bradford's have served their last vanilla slice, sadly...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-23287517

Funny, Mr Bint and I walk past their Sauchiehall Street branch regularly and we kept promising ourselves an afternoon tea there as a treat. Oh well...

My memory might be playing up....but I thought the went to the wall many years ago and this is the resurrected company from that crash that has now gone?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:08 am

"Bradfords, which also owned the Miss Cranston's brand of shops and tearooms, came close to liquidation two years ago after HM Revenue and Customs attempted through the courts to have the business wound down.

The family baker opened its first city centre shop in 1984, when it expanded its range to include hand-made chocolates."
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)