Greggs, the city boaker.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:32 pm

Roxburgh wrote:I think it is illegal to refuse to accept legal tender. I have been told that if you offer to pay 3 times and each time payment is refused (with witnesses) then you can just take the goods and walk because you made a reasonable attempt to pay.

Perhaps a legal eagle can clarify.

That's got to be laugh, just try using it as a defence when you're up for shoplifting. You haven't paid, you don't have title to the goods, end of story.

Don't know about paper money, but there are limits on the amounts of coins that can be presented. Comes up every so often when some disgruntled citizen takes offence to a fine, and turns up with the intent of bringing the payement office to a halt by paying it in full, but in pennies. They end up going home, fine unpaid (and probably overdue as they leave it to the last day, intending to force the office to take the money or it's the officials fault if it's late) after finding the max amount of coin that must be accepted is only a few pounds (sorry, forget the actual value).

Ask in a bank, they should know.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:47 pm

IIRC the situation with money in Scotland is that English banknotes are not actually legal tender here.

Scottish notes are also not actually legal tender, as they're not legal tender anywhere.

Credit or debit cards are not legal tender.

However, under Scots law, creditors are obliged to accept any "reasonable settlement" of a debt.

Euros? :wink:
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:17 pm

I think the Scottish notes thing is because it doesn't say something on it like 'this is legal tender', or something else, cannae mind. We discussed it in Economics last year.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:18 pm

I thought if it said sterling on it, then it was legal tender?
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:30 pm

I could write "This is ten pounds sterling" on a sheet of toilet roll, but that would not make it legal tender. Sadly. :wink:

Scottish notes are promisory notes, that is, that the bank promises to exchange the note for a bank of england note of similar value.

EG Clydesdale Bank promises to pay the bearer on demand at their office here ten pounds sterling is the wording on one I have conveniently to hand.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

breegs

Postby hazy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:18 pm

Simba wrote:I think the Scottish notes thing is because it doesn't say something on it like 'this is legal tender', or something else, cannae mind. We discussed it in Economics last year.

Why were you talking about money in a Home Economics class. Do you not get sowing any more.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 pm

Sadly I've never studied farmyard animals in all my years at school.

You're right JayKay - it's all fiat money anyway, but as I've done my macro econ for the year it's all just filtered out my brain the real ins and outs of it!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:01 pm

Here's the site that'll tell you max. amount of coins.

http://www.24carat.co.uk/legaltenderframe.html

Okay, anyone got a Gold Sovereign? "Ah'll huv a pie please..."
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:27 pm

Apparently Greggs gets progressively less greasy the further south you get. In a Glasgow Greggs, if you buy a sausage roll, by the time you get it back to the office, the paper bag will be pretty much transparent, but here in London, it still stays resasonably papery.

Oh, and they have napkins. Printed with the Greggs logo. It just seems wrong.

(the yum yums are pretty rank, and I'm not sure about this Tottenham Cake. Looks odd.)
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:54 pm

martin wrote:Apparently Greggs gets progressively less greasy the further south you get. In a Glasgow Greggs, if you buy a sausage roll, by the time you get it back to the office, the paper bag will be pretty much transparent, but here in London, it still stays resasonably papery.

Didn't try any in London, but the Maidenhead branch used to be pretty greasy. Used to remind me of home (sad that eh)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:31 pm

For a thread that is full of "I'm surprised no-one's mentioned...." comments I have to say I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the fact that Greggs used to be Greggs of Rutherglen.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:51 pm

Schiehallion wrote:For a thread that is full of "I'm surprised no-one's mentioned...." comments I have to say I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the fact that Greggs used to be Greggs of Rutherglen.

Is their head office not on Tyneside now?
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:16 pm

I think they actually started off on Tyneside, and that Greggs of Rutherglen was their first foray north of the Border.
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Greggs, you mean Groggs :x

Like there insipid germaline flavoured sausage rolls 8O

On a propaganda level they are second to none, delicious
quotes such as...

a) 'With over 1,000 stores nationwide, a Greggs shop is never far away'

Yeah, so are rats.

b) 'treating everyone with fairness, consideration and respect.'

From a previous posting, this area is still being worked on,
especially the Buchanan St. branch.

c) 'We will deliver customer satisfaction by offering great tasting food at unbeatable value and to the highest standards of food safety'

Yeah don't think you can eat cheaper, or die quicker. Don't
mention some of the things that end up in pies. Have several
witnesses that worked as maintenance sub contractors for
the ovens. Let's say I won't put you off your steak bake :?

d) 'we continue to introduce and improve measures that we can take to reduce any adverse environmental impacts'

Don't mention the cooking oil...

e) started in 2002 with the aim of providing a free, nutritious breakfast for primary school children in areas of particular social disadvantage.'

Ah 2 free scotch pies on offer....

f) the ever-popular sausage roll continues to be one of our best selling products.'

Seems Methyl Salicylate is the hot favourite on the tastebuds.

Bring back the Bakers Oven before the Greggs takeover. The
one in Cambridge Street did light crude in a mutton pie.
They used to triple line the bags, even then you lost at least
one to the pavement. 'Em were the days :x
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

greegs

Postby hazy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Stop the food talk.I need to wait till 4oclock to get fed when my wife comes home from the mines
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)