Greggs, the city boaker.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby allyharp » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:20 pm

The Pantry is good, I go there a few times a week for lunch when I'm at uni. The steak pies are good, but best of all they're the only bakers that ever seems to do Gingerbread Squares!! Although they only seem to have them once every 2 or 3 weeks. :?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:19 pm

Some words of caution on pie comsumption.

Has anyone ever eaten a really greasy, piping hot pie and washed it down with ice cold water.

I can only decribe the experience as how I would imagine drinking hot candelwax would feel like, a sort of slow asphyxiation that can only be releived by drinking something hot in order to disolve the congealed fat that has formed in your food pipe.

Not doing that again.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:25 pm

Bex Bissell wrote:Some words of caution on pie comsumption.

Has anyone ever eaten a really greasy, piping hot pie and washed it down with ice cold water.

I can only decribe the experience as how I would imagine drinking hot candelwax would feel like, a sort of slow asphyxiation that can only be releived by drinking something hot in order to disolve the congealed fat that has formed in your food pipe.

Not doing that again.

I refer the honorable gentleman to the Ronald Villiers (Widecombe & Pump) sketch in Chewing the Fat where a hot pie and cold water were consumed to the same effect.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Had a bad experience with the Pantry in Byres Road circa 1996, bit into a lunchtime roll and cracked my tooth on a bit of glass.
I wasn't best pleased :cry:
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

greegs

Postby hazy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:43 pm

In the early eighties I remember a drugs bust on a bakers at the bottom of Byres Road. To much dust on the donughts maybe.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: greegs

Postby allyharp » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:16 am

hazy wrote:In the early eighties I remember a drugs bust on a bakers at the bottom of Byres Road. To much dust on the donughts maybe.

I must be getting great value for money then :D
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: greegs

Postby scallopboy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:38 am

hazy wrote:In the early eighties I remember a drugs bust on a bakers at the bottom of Byres Road. To much dust on the donughts maybe.

And I thought the dust on the buns was icing sugar. No wonder I developed a 10 a day habit!
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:07 pm

To the soundtrack of "Are you wantin' anythin' sonny?"
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:29 pm

allyharp posted delicious-lloking pasties and
allyharp wrote:To the soundtrack of "Are you wantin' anythin' sonny?"
Cheers! I'm fucking starving now. :wink: .

Is it not "What else can I get for you" they are programmed to say?

"I've just ordered a sausage roll, a cheese and onion pasty and a chicken oval bite in a oner. Are you callin me a fat bastard???"
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:23 am

red_kola wrote:allyharp posted delicious-lloking pasties and
allyharp wrote:To the soundtrack of "Are you wantin' anythin' sonny?"
Cheers! I'm fucking starving now. :wink: .

Is it not "What else can I get for you" they are programmed to say?

"I've just ordered a sausage roll, a cheese and onion pasty and a chicken oval bite in a oner. Are you callin me a fat bastard???"

::): Most of them are of the "What else can I get for you variety" but I didn't buy anything today. But no, I didn't just walk up to the counter with a camera and walk off again! I was with a friend.
There's a very enthusiastic old woman in Byre's Rd. Always very polite and when you hand her a fiver she says that's five pounds in and one, two, three, four and forty back as she hands you the coins individually.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:58 am

Impresive stuff Allyharp, a bit of undercover footage of the delectible foodstuffs.
I see that the Mysterons are eyeing up the sausage rolls and chicken pasties.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Found a new baker for my cake addictions

Postby scallopboy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:10 pm

It's called Steve's in Greenock on Cumberland Road. Smashing home-made tablet and fanyummytastic chocolate brownies.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Found a new baker for my cake addictions

Postby hazy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:07 pm

scallopboy wrote:It's called Steve's in Greenock on Cumberland Road. Smashing home-made tablet and fanyummytastic chocolate brownies.

Hey big boy ever tasted the humungus giant chocolate chip muffins out of Costco in Springburn. Swear to God they are better than Kissing. Or what about the deliciuosly delectable £6.00 chocolate fudge cake,better than a wet dream. Kid you not, then there is there Danish pastrys . My lips are dribbling as I speak.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Found a new baker for my cake addictions

Postby allyharp » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:14 pm

hazy wrote:
scallopboy wrote:It's called Steve's in Greenock on Cumberland Road. Smashing home-made tablet and fanyummytastic chocolate brownies.

Hey big boy ever tasted the humungus giant chocolate chip muffins out of Costco in Springburn. Swear to God they are better than Kissing. Or what about the deliciuosly delectable £6.00 chocolate fudge cake,better than a wet dream. Kid you not, then there is there Danish pastrys . My lips are dribbling as I speak.

Actually I'm not so keen on the chocolate muffins in Costco - I'm much more partial to a Tesco one. Costco gets the vote for size, no contest, but the chocolate chips just taste wrong. Sort of, dry perhaps. I can't quite describe it.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

gregs

Postby hazy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:19 pm

I know what you mean but Ive learned that if you nuke them in the micro wave for 30 secs this allows the chocolate to melt thru the muff and makes them nice and moist.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)