Postby My Kitten » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:18 am

Merlot wrote: a well kept secret.

Not any more :wink:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Merlot » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:42 am

Yeah,
Spread the word, they make their sausages fresh every day, you can go in of a morning and see the guy making them (by hand). A secret recipe which is probably worth SHOUTING about. Not much of that about and it's like walking into a time warp.
Enjoy
Merlot
Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:06 am

It's 2am and you bastards have made me hungry! :evil:
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:54 pm

Cracking wee Bakers at the top of Bellgrove St. (if it's still there)
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:57 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Cracking wee Bakers at the top of Bellgrove St. (if it's still there)

Grants? The best sausage rolls on the planet. It was my first port of call at lunchtime during my School days..

Wonderful bakers. All of their baking is quality.

Every Greggs I see always has a massive queue. I have wondered why Greggs have never thought of having a sit in area?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:47 pm

Anyone remember Diggens - "Where the Good Cakes come from" .......or M&A "Ma" Brown's?
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:21 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Every Greggs I see always has a massive queue. I have wondered why Greggs have never thought of having a sit in area?

Is there not a VAT issue with sit in food?
Anyway, retail space in Greggs type locations isn't cheap; get them served, get their dosh and get them to f**k!
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:07 am

I think you're right about the VAT issue, although McDonalds seem to have just got rid of the eat-in/take away price difference. That probably comes from pushing up the prices so they are all the eat-in price mind you.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

More independant bakers

Postby scallopboy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:02 am

I don't think anyone has mentioned Ian Coker's bakeries yet? The one in Dumbarton Road near Scotstoun has the baker in the back shop and does a cracking roll and pie with brown sauce; good on a cold morning. They also have a shop in Dumbarton Road at Partick too just along from the old railway line park.

There is also a cracking wee bakers in Lenzie down the dead end road along from the station, ace cakes.

Beith has a great wee bakers in the main street that does lovely iced apple slices.

West Kilbride baker does a belter of an iced ginger cake.

Kilmarnock has its own bakers, I forget the name but they have a slogan saying "Say aye to a killie pie" in the window.

The Strathaven bakery shop does nice fruit scones.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: More independant bakers

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:40 am

scallopboy wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned Ian Coker's bakeries yet? The one in Dumbarton Road near Scotstoun has the baker in the back shop and does a cracking roll and pie with brown sauce; good on a cold morning. They also have a shop in Dumbarton Road at Partick too just along from the old railway line park.

There is also a cracking wee bakers in Lenzie down the dead end road along from the station, ace cakes.

Beith has a great wee bakers in the main street that does lovely iced apple slices.

Kilmarnock has its own bakers, I forget the name but they have a slogan saying "Say aye to a killie pie" in the window.

"Scallopboy - HG Bakery Expert"
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:07 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
marginalwalker wrote:Every Greggs I see always has a massive queue. I have wondered why Greggs have never thought of having a sit in area?

Is there not a VAT issue with sit in food?
Anyway, retail space in Greggs type locations isn't cheap; get them served, get their dosh and get them to f**k!

Its kind of complicated. All takeaway and sit-in food is subject to VAT. Greggs will use the loophole that their hot food is baked throughout the day and is sold before it has had the chance to cool down ( so no VAT on pies, sausage rolls and the like). However for stuff like hot soup and sandwiches the VAT will apply whether it was for sit in or takeaway.

For places like McD's, BK and KFC the sit in / takeaway VAT issue only applies to milkshakes and cartons of milk bought not as part of a meal deal. BK charge different prices for shakes and milk not sure about the others though .

I remember the Greggs at the top of Queen St. corner of George Sq. used to have a sit-in bit downstairs. It used to be a City Bakeries Lite Bite and i think it was also an Oliver's for a while but Greggs kept the seating area going for a while.
Last edited by AlanM on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:09 pm

What about Aulds the Baker, they sell nice pies.

There was also a wee bakers in Shawlands that used to sell fantastic burnt rolls Mchargs I think it was called, although you could not ask for burnt ones as the wee wumin will say " we don't sell burnt rolls we sell well fired ones"
Where the music stinks, and they water the drinks, ...at the nudie bar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:14 pm

AlanM wrote: ............I remember the Greggs at the top of Queen St. corner of George Sq. used to have a sit-in bit downstairs. It used to be a City Bakeries Lite Bite and i think it was also an Oliver's for a while but Greggs kept the seating area going for a while.

There used to be a wonderful Lite Bite in Pitlochry. Most of the summer staff were recruited from Glasgow and lodged on the premises. It was known affectionately as the Red Lite Bite
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: More independant bakers

Postby scallopboy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:21 pm

My Kitten wrote:
scallopboy wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned Ian Coker's bakeries yet? The one in Dumbarton Road near Scotstoun has the baker in the back shop and does a cracking roll and pie with brown sauce; good on a cold morning. They also have a shop in Dumbarton Road at Partick too just along from the old railway line park.

"Scallopboy - HG Bakery Expert"

I drive about as part of my job and get to try out a load of bakers, one of the perks :D I forgot to mention the Nevis Bakery in Oban and Fort William, smashing macaroni pies and the baker/butcher in Harthill with to-die-for clootie dumpling.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bonz » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:01 pm

....Does anybody remember Vics Bakeries? The shops were always ultra basic, but they used to do massive doughnuts dirt cheap......

I wonder if any of them are still on the go....
Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)