Greggs, the city boaker.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:16 pm

Bonz wrote:....Does anybody remember Vics Bakeries? The shops were always ultra basic, but they used to do massive doughnuts dirt cheap......

I wonder if any of them are still on the go....

I think there's one at Finnieston?

http://www.ilike.org.uk/photos/bakeries/vics.html
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Last time I was in that Vic's bakery I must say I wasn't very impressed. I bought a chocolate doughnut which was pretty disgusting - although that's probably more a personal taste issue. The woman that served me though picked it up with horrible looking hands! I wasn't sure if I wanted to eat it or not.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Squigster » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:13 pm

When I was at School in Burnbank ( Hamilton ), there was a baker that did a fine line in "Dollys" - Essential a large fruit bun that was cut in half and filled with cream & chocolate. This was the sum total of my lunch for 2 years.

You can`t beat a healthy balanced diet
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Greggs, the city boaker.

Postby Bex Bissell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:24 am

Blueboy wrote:
Bex Bissell wrote:
Go on give it a go, you only live once.

I shall take you up on your challenge on Monday.
I'm going in undercover with a wire (like Al Pacino in Serpico).
It's about time the bakery chain known as Greggs was exposed for what it really is....

Blueboy, yer a hell of a man, let us know how you get on.
If theres no reply in a couple of days then we'll presume you've become the filling for one of their delicious pies.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:32 am

Surprised that Bradford's haven't had a mention here, they get my vote for the best pies and sausage rolls. Their main bakery is in Thornliebank. Greggs steak bakes and chicken pasties are OK but their pies and sausage rolls are crap compared with Bradford's.

BTW regarding Dalziels, sadly that company is no longer. Used to have their HQ in Airdrie but the company was dissolved a good few years ago. I believe it was an internal dispute in the family. Pity, as they made the best morning rolls bar none.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:37 am

Alycidon wrote:Surprised that Bradford's haven't had a mention here, they get my vote for the best pies and sausage rolls. Their main bakery is in Thornliebank. Greggs steak bakes and chicken pasties are OK but their pies and sausage rolls are crap compared with Bradford's.

BTW regarding Dalziels, sadly that company is no longer. Used to have their HQ in Airdrie but the company was dissolved a good few years ago. I believe it was an internal dispute in the family. Pity, as they made the best morning rolls bar none.

BRADFORDS Feckin hell. Then I saw Eaglesham. Speaks for its self.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:42 am

hazy wrote:BRADFORDS Feckin hell. Then I saw Eaglesham. Speaks for its self.

And your point is caller??.....careful now, if you want to join the expedition to find the source of the Cart. The local medicine man could whip the local tribes into a frenzy of hostility!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:31 am

I've got a Bradfords at the end of my street but I'm not that keen on the pies. I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but when I eat a pie I want hot greasy goodness and not lean meat. Incidentally, the garage next to Bradfords in Thornliebank does cheap MoT's.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:49 pm

Alycidon wrote:Surprised that Bradford's haven't had a mention here

Ahh the "Miss Cranstons" bradfords on Gordon St is pretty good. Prices are much more upmarket compared to Greggs mind. Also nobody's mentioned Aulds? Owned by Gregg's I believe and it's just as shite but pricier.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:55 pm

The pastry on Auld's sausage rolls is just too flaky - they cannot rival the soft and slightly undercooked pastry of Greggs' produce.

having said that tho, greggs' sausage rolls are not a patch on the ones from the wee bakers on byres road- dunno the name, but they advertise the partick pie outside on a board - 95% meat!
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:03 pm

mooshimooshisan wrote:The pastry on Auld's sausage rolls is just too flaky - they cannot rival the soft and slightly undercooked pastry of Greggs' produce.

having said that tho, greggs' sausage rolls are not a patch on the ones from the wee bakers on byres road- dunno the name, but they advertise the partick pie outside on a board - 95% meat!

Is it called something like "The Pantry"? They do giant meringues :D
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:03 pm

mooshimooshisan wrote:The pastry on Auld's sausage rolls is just too flaky - they cannot rival the soft and slightly undercooked pastry of Greggs' produce.

That would be the one just over the road and up a little from Farmfoods? Grand cakes from memory, but I didn't try the pies.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:07 pm

Yes, the Pantry, that's it. The cakes are pretty marvellous too - sadly I moved house and it is not on my route to work any more, so I have not sampled their delights for a while.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:08 pm

i only like the cheese and onion pasties and occassionaly the chicken ones from greggs. cant comment on the pies or sausage rolls as i've never liked them anways.

two places i hate:

Aulds and the Bakers Oven in Hamilton ; too dear for a skint student, :)
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:51 pm

mooshimooshisan wrote:Yes, the Pantry, that's it. The cakes are pretty marvellous too - sadly I moved house and it is not on my route to work any more, so I have not sampled their delights for a while.

They used to sell Bolivian marching powder in there. There was a big court case at the time (early 80's I think).
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)