Greggs, the city boaker.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Greggs, the city boaker.

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:08 am

I'm surprised these fine purveyors of surperlutive food stuffs (aye right) havnt had a few more mentions and posts about it considering it's sizeable presence throughout the city, not to mention the utter nauseatingly rotten stuff they sell.

Do you enjoy dangerous sports?? eg. free climbing, calling out your wife's sister (ladies read wife as Husband and or boyfriend and Sister as Brother) name at the vinegar strokes and holding on for dear life, beware though it's like trying to keep a dug in a bath, or bunjee jumping out of burning hot air ballons over active volcano's? then try pushing the envelope to the max and pop along to the Greggs on Buchannan St around about 10ish or in fact anytime they have a queue and ask for a cup of tea?

Now, I must point out that to participate in this form of Xtreme Shopping you really have to be served by the big lassie that looks like Biffa Bacons ma.
Bex's Disclaimer - I hereby do not accept any responsibility for the muttered insults and throwing of change that you will undoubtedly encounter

The "big yin" was under pressure a few days ago, it was the usual set up 4 lassies handing out the reassembled earholes, eyeholes and arseholes all served at 1800 degrees Kelvin and only her manning the till, as the increasingly anxious customers waited to pay for their tasty bites the battle cry of Ma Bacon could be clearly heard all the way down Buchannan Street of "Gonnaaaae Somewaaaan gieeee us a haun heeere"
Her pitch started off at Bass Baritone rising to banshee by the end of the sentence.

Back to the tea, you'll never get to actually enjoy a cup because and these are the lines they've used on me "the machine isnt working today" this went on for around 7 weeks, "we've ran out of cups" too "we've ran out of tea bags" or the worst thing they do is, when you finally do get a cup and they hand you over that wee bag that contains the sugar, milk and spoon they can still get you because when you open the bag up they've taken the spoon out.

Go on give it a go, you only live once.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Greggs, the city boaker.

Postby trudger » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:46 am

Bex Bissell wrote:I'm surprised these fine purveyors of surperlutive food stuffs (aye right) havnt had a few more mentions and posts about it considering it's sizeable presence throughout the city, not to mention the utter nauseatingly rotten stuff they sell.

Do you enjoy dangerous sports?? eg. free climbing, calling out your wife's sister (ladies read wife as Husband and or boyfriend and Sister as Brother) name at the vinegar strokes and holding on for dear life, beware though it's like trying to keep a dug in a bath, or bunjee jumping out of burning hot air ballons over active volcano's? then try pushing the envelope to the max and pop along to the Greggs on Buchannan St around about 10ish or in fact anytime they have a queue and ask for a cup of tea?

Now, I must point out that to participate in this form of Xtreme Shopping you really have to be served by the big lassie that looks like Biffa Bacons ma.
Bex's Disclaimer - I hereby do not accept any responsibility for the muttered insults and throwing of change that you will undoubtedly encounter

The "big yin" was under pressure a few days ago, it was the usual set up 4 lassies handing out the reassembled earholes, eyeholes and arseholes all served at 1800 degrees Kelvin and only her manning the till, as the increasingly anxious customers waited to pay for their tasty bites the battle cry of Ma Bacon could be clearly heard all the way down Buchannan Street of "Gonnaaaae Somewaaaan gieeee us a haun heeere"
Her pitch started off at Bass Baritone rising to banshee by the end of the sentence.

Back to the tea, you'll never get to actually enjoy a cup because and these are the lines they've used on me "the machine isnt working today" this went on for around 7 weeks, "we've ran out of cups" too "we've ran out of tea bags" or the worst thing they do is, when you finally do get a cup and they hand you over that wee bag that contains the sugar, milk and spoon they can still get you because when you open the bag up they've taken the spoon out.

Go on give it a go, you only live once.

I wonder whats on the other side? Could someone pass me the remote.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Greggs, the city boaker.

Postby james73 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:50 am

Bex Bissell wrote:I'm surprised these fine purveyors of surperlutive food stuffs (aye right) havnt had a few more mentions and posts about it considering it's sizeable presence throughout the city, not to mention the utter nauseatingly rotten stuff they sell.

They make some nice sandwiches, and you cant beat a steak bake. ::):

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:26 am

Aye, but it'll never replace food...

Give me a real bakers any day!
:D
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:43 pm

Ally Doll wrote:Aye, but it'll never replace food...

you'll not find many of them now :(
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:51 pm

You'll no find many cases of TB now either...

::):
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:58 pm

crusty_bint wrote:You'll no find many cases of TB now either...

::):

Bakers give you TB? 8O
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:01 pm

AlanM wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:Aye, but it'll never replace food...

you'll not find many of them now :(

There is a particulary good wee independent bakers in Renfrew, just opposite Nemos Chippy, all baked onsite and they use fresh cream in their buns, you can even peek through the back to see the bakers going aboot their business, and theres always a crackin smell of freshly baked Rolls and bread.
Very cheap too and not a greggs pacifier* in sight, NOT that I have anything against greggs other than any time I have ate something I either get heartburn or the shits, but try asking wee Britney-J-lo behind the counter in one for a well fired roll and see what you get, a blank expression

* (chicken pastie, normally seen stuck to the face of some greetin wean)

Moan the wee man bakers!
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:41 pm

Bex ask yon big Lassie if she's got a hot pie next time your in :D
might be a good time to buy shares in Greggs they are just about to expand in Belgium and France on the other hand prhaps not,can't see them taking on the French patisserie or Belgian confectionery.with cold sausage rolls and yumyums.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:06 pm

I had no idea what a yumyum was when I moved to Glasgow..tbh im still not sure what they are... sweet sticky pastry ????

and yes I have had one... is this what they make with the left overs?
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:09 pm

Fruit Slice
Also know as a fly’s grave yard 8)

Dont forget the day old shop in Maryhill ::):

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:10 pm

Sharon wrote:I had no idea what a yumyum was when I moved to Glasgow..tbh im still not sure what they are... sweet sticky pastry ????

and yes I have had one... is this what they make with the left overs?

I'd describe it as kinda like a straight doughnut with icing rather than sugar on... very tasty!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:13 pm

Fossil, did you not try to tell us about a tattie apple pastry once? :?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:14 pm

They have even been know to induce heart attacks on cholestetroly challenged folk.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:21 pm

[quote="cumbo"]Bex ask yon big Lassie if she's got a hot pie next time your in :D
quote]

Nae chance, if you ever get a swatch at her you'll see why.

btw, what the diffrence between a Paris bun and Belgian bun.....

Aboot 300 miles :wink:

Any more confectionary yarns?
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)